Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend this thread to be a resource for the community as a source of photos of relevant parts to be referred to. Please copy and mark the pictures for use in other threads. Post suggestions if you want me to take a picture of a specific part.
I will (eventually) list full specs of all components, usage reports, sources, etc.

The pictures are taken with a 3 megapixel Olympus Camedia 3040 Zoom camera.

I will respond to any questions in one place at the top of the thread. Once the question is answered, I'd appreciate if you delete/edit your post to get rid of the questions after a period of time in order to keep this thread compact and useable.
Of course the brief and tastefull expressions of admiration and wise timeless observations can stay indefinitely. :)

Those pictures are not the best so because I had to use artificial lightning late at night. I will repost them once I have good lightning conditions and the baby is not around to see the guns.
I will also take the pictures on some kind of monochrome background rather than wood (made that table myself) because it drastically increases picture file size.

Enjoy,
Voruzon.

Mini-14 (Regular) Stainless 196 series.

Mods:

Hogue OM stock - (~32 oz) I intend to shorten it a bit.
---- M-16 buttplate assembly with trapdoor installed
---- Front stud installed (2 1/2" from the frong edge of the stock)

John Masen Muzzlebrake - adds 1 7/8" to the length of a barrel.

XS Ghost Ring rear sight insert - http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...?p=42&s=202#202

Mini-14 4x Scope with integrated see-through mount. Built-in bullet drop compensator. 6 inches, 12.3 ounces. ~1.3in tube. Quick-detach screw with a handle.
(www.cabelas.com IC-711043 $69.99)

Usefull sites:
http://www.awrm.org/
http://waltonfeed.com/self/index.html

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sights - XS Ghost ring and the scope.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M-16 Buttplate Assembly with Trapdoor.
Some grinding was involved.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The scope. Ultra-somethng, made in China. Note the bullet-drop compensator.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The view of a Mini-regular bolt, for those who wonder what case ejector looks like - marked as (A).
Also, note the (formerly sharp) edge on the top left slide rail marked (B), also from another direction on an inset view marked © top right of the picture, that I had to file a bit in order to make the Ciener kit function properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trigger group.
I will edit it later to add the part names.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trigger expanded. I will mark the part and use it later in a discussion of the trigger adjustment.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trigger and sear disassembled.

Note a circular burr on the inset top view of the trigger - I removed it with a file after this picture was taken.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The front of the slide assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Originally posted by voruzon
I intend this thread to be a resource for the community and a standard for posting the usefull information. One of the uses will be detailed pictures that we can refer to in our discussions, copy, etc. Feel free to copy, modify and use the pictures here and in other threads. Post suggestions if you want me to take a picture of a specific part.
I will (eventually) list full specs of all components, usage reports, sources, etc.

I will respond to any questions in one place at the top of the thread. Once the question is answered, I'd appreciate if you delete/edit your post to get rid of the questions after a period of time in order to keep this thread compact and useable.
Of course the brief and tastefull expressions of admiration and wise timeless observations can stay indefinitely. :)

Those pictures are not the best so because I had to use artificial lightning late at night. I will repost them once I have good lightning conditions and the baby is not around to see the guns.
I will also take the pictures on some kind of monochrome background rather than wood (made that table myself) because it drastically increases picture file size.

Enjoy,
Voruzon.

Mini-14 (Regular) Stainless 196 series.

Mods:

Hogue OM stock - (~32 oz) I intend to shorten it a bit.
---- M-16 buttplate assembly with trapdoor installed
---- Front stud installed (2 1/2" from the frong edge of the stock)

John Masen Muzzlebrake - adds 1 7/8" to the length of a barrel.

XS Ghost Ring rear sight insert - http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...?p=42&s=202#202

Mini-14 4x Scope with integrated see-through mount. Built-in bullet drop compensator. 6 inches, 12.3 ounces. ~1.3in tube. Quick-detach screw with a handle.
(www.cabelas.com IC-711043 $69.99)

Why not remove the front sling swivel? It won't serve any useful purpose now except rattle. Also, after removing the front swivel you can do a little filing around the swivel attachment holes and use this for your quick detachable swivel point instead of the added stud. Of course, if you prefer the stud location instead you can use that. In any case, I would remove the factory swivel.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right, I just did not get to that yet with stock work, etc. - after the pictures were taken, I've shortened my stock by about 3/4" and had to re-fit the buttplate.

Removing the from loop is easy except I hope to do it non-destructively.
I want the front stud so that I can affix a bipod to it - though God knows why. I intend to use the swivel attachment holes in teh gas block to mount/align some underbarrel attachmant - laser or a tactical light.

V.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
voruzon, very impressive. I'm shure it will be very helpful to us when a picture is worth a thousand words. Good quality pics.

BTW what model of camera do you have. The macro is very sharp!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad you like it. This is a 3 megapixel Olympus Camedia 3040 Zoom. It's a nice small camera I've bought to film the birth of my son couple of years ago from recommendation in the Consumer Reports and friend's experience. The newer version would probably be 4040 or 5050 - 4 and 5 magapixels with same good optics.

I made those pictures in a rush late at night with less that perfect lightning and holding camera in my hands. Those are few decent ones I've managed to select out of a whole bunch. Fortunately, no film was wasted. I will redo them with better light off the tripod and on less pixel-intensive backgrounds - maybe even this weekend.

I'll make pictures of various parts so that we can refer to them when discussing which places to grind/file etc.

V.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How did you put the AR-15 butt plate on the Hogue stock? Would you be willing to describe the process? That's on of the coolest ideas I've seen yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts