Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to get those vegetable gardens in! I realize some of you still have to shovel snow to get to the Johnny shack, but we've been having warm weather for some time now. She who must be obeyed informed me that I would be working in the yard today. I'm sure she expected somthing else, but I got to play in my garden. I put in tomaters, squorsh, peppers, sunflowers and some black eyed Susans to liven things up. I can't grow root crops because the cats use my nice, soft garden soil for a crapper! I should hire my dog to keep them out. She'll work for deli dog bites from Bass Pro Shops. Any way, gardening is just another of my many hobbies.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yep, for whatever reason it IS getting warmer earlier. The last 2 years I was able to put my tomatoes in the ground on Valentines day. Here in S.E. Texas you have to get them going as early as possible. Once the heat kick over 90 degrees it is so long tomatoes.
Mine are now blooming and have some tiny tomatoes on them.
Already thinking about which bacon to use for the first bacon and tomato sandwich! :lol:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here in North Alabama, we're waiting for it to stop raining. Weather folks calling for rain all week here. Never complain though after spending 7 years and change in the Middle East and seeing it rain 3 times.

Reb

·
Registered
302 Posts
I put in part of my little garden this year. I am only keeping the house we live in currently for another year or so, so in order not to tear up part of the smallish yard to make a garden I decided to do everything in planters this year. This also allows me to move the plants around the yard to keep them in the sunlight due to the fact that my yard does not recieve a whole lot of sun. I put in onions, lettuce (romaine and some other type), bush beans, and a rosemary plant so far. On the list are green peppers, jalapenos, cayanne peppers, a tomato plant when they become available (in a topsyturvy) potatoes, (once I build a box), and maybe a couple of other plants like cilantro.

·
Registered
36,097 Posts
Yep, for whatever reason it IS getting warmer earlier. The last 2 years I was able to put my tomatoes in the ground on Valentines day. Here in S.E. Texas you have to get them going as early as possible. Once the heat kick over 90 degrees it is so long tomatoes.
Mine are now blooming and have some tiny tomatoes on them.
In central Texas the fall season is often the better of the two. I was still harvesting tomatoes in mid-December, broccoli at the new year, and a bumper crop of Swiss chard was still going strong in early January, just watered and covered them during freezes. Unless it's unusually cold and overcast in December, fall gardens do well precisely because they aren't contending with the heat. Heat that can get oppressive for vegetables as early as May.

Sorry JRedHorse but jalapeños (and other peppers) practically grow themselves here.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
We have our plot rototill ed three times, the last two manure was tilled in, its pretty much ready to go but not planted yet. I need to get some more rabbit fencing or I need to kill a bunch of rabbits. Last year they got in and tore up about a third of the garden before I got a handle on them.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Your tilling and I am shoveling. Got a nice snowfall last night and its still snowing now. But the sun is starting to come out. Winter almost over. Good luck with the rabbits.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Your tilling and I am shoveling. Got a nice snowfall last night and its still snowing now. But the sun is starting to come out. Winter almost over. Good luck with the rabbits.
That sucks, were supposed to get a bit of snow this week.

You owe it to yourself to check into no till gardening. May not be suitable for all situations, but often is ...

No-till Gardening ... less work can yield better results

Mississippi family uses 'permaculture' methods for sustainable food source
I may try that no till gardening in another spot and see what happens.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We started to plant in big planters last summer, it worked out well, we move them around with a hand truck because the pots with soil and plants weigh about 200 pounds each.

Man I'd give my eye teeth for some fresh grown jalapenos:), havent had them since I left AZ, they do not grow well in New England, well at least not this far North, good luck with it, maybe post some pics of the garden before harvest?
Sure thing.. If it isn't a complete FLOP lol This is the first garden that I have done on my own (with my wife) and the first since I was a kid and the first that I have done in planters lol :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.