Perfect Union banner

Using mini shells with the Stoeger Condor

6K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  headedtotexas 
#1 ·
Like many single trigger O/U shotguns, the Stoeger Condor requires recoil to reset the trigger to fire the second barrel. Found out today that Aguila Minishells don't provide enough recoil to reset the trigger on my Condor Outback. Works fine on full size 12 gauge shells, but not on the little minis.

This shotgun got a thorough cleaning about two years ago and has lived a very quiet safe life ever since. I think it's clean and that the minishells just don't provide enough recoil. Is there a spring to lighten or some way to allow the sear to reset with lighter recoil?

See less See more
#3 ·
The consensus answer to Stoeger single trigger problems is "clean your action." Mine is clean and still well lubed from last time I studied this. The gun gets very little use in its home defense role and is very much ready to go when called upon. With full power 12 gauge shells, that is.

The component I am calling the trigger reset sear (I'm sure there is a proper name, but 10 minutes of searching for the right exploded diagram proved fruitless) has tension keeping it against the hammer sears from a spring inside the trigger that pushes on a tab as shown in the photo above.

Recoil from a 2-¾" shell with a standard load of 8 shot is plenty to overcome the force of the spring and allow the trigger reset sear to flop down onto the upper barrel sear and ready to fire the next barrel. But apparently recoil from a Minishell is not enough. Trimming a coil or two off the trigger reset sear might help. Think I am on the right path? I can always replace the spring with a new one if I make it too light.

#4 ·
I recently took my Stoeger OU out with the mini shells and they shot great. Used Buck shot no problem. I also used a 20ga insert with my 12ga and it even ran light loads with them. These guns to not have the hand polishing of a $2500 Plus gun, Nor the ejectors (which can be problematic even in high end guns) but the Stoegers run great. Do a little polishing and you have a nice OU. At least mine and about 4 others at my Hunt club swear by them (deer club) I love the feel of these guns. Not even sure where you can buy another with a 20" barrel and drilled for chokes.
My son has one and also recently bought the tactical model. Now I want one as well.
Any inertia gun may have issues with very light loads. And this goes for high end guns as well. In my semi autos, I prefer the inertia shotguns. I hunt in rough terrain and they are so easy to clean.

#5 ·
Well that is reassuring. Thanks Dave. As I recall, I was shooting Aguila Minishells with 7-1/2 shot. Were you shooting those light loads, or just buck shot? And did you do any polishing work on your Stoeger? I haven't revisited this issue in a long time, but would sure appreciate your input.

#7 ·
When I open and close the action, I get two distinct clicks when dry firing.
Hmmm, I wonder why that would be? I did the auto safety mod too and mine no longer automatically engages the safety when opening the action, but dry firing produces only the first click when the first hammer falls. Getting the second hammer to fall requires a sharp rap on the butt or the recoil of a shell discharge.

Did you do any trigger mechanism "slicking"?

#9 ·
It sure looks like it's operating the way it was designed. The first hammer falls, but the trigger does not reach the other sear until the trigger reset sear resets. No problem from there. From my reading, that's the way it is supposed to work. Question is, how is your action different? Your Condor is doing exactly what I want mine to do.

#10 ·
Mine seems to reset when I release the trigger. Wouldn't it nice to know if the first round is a dud that you could still fire the second? If I have some time I will take it apart and post a picture of the innards. Time is short right because I will be traveling outside the country the next four weeks. I am sure we will figure it out.

#18 ·
I see that pin. Not sure how that would impact things, but I bet it is supposed to be flush.

There is a big difference in the rear mount of the hammer springs. Mine is what you might call long spring. Wonder how that impacts the reset?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.