Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be putting an ATI stock on a 580 series mini 14 soon. I'm trying to figure out the best way to accommodate both a scope and iron sights as I can't seem to find someone who has done this already. I have a few potential ideas, but am not sure how they will work out and am hoping for some guidance here.

Idea 1. Use the weaver style mounts on the action for the scope and use the top rail on the ATI for 45* sights. The issue I see with this is that there would only be 7" between the front and rear sights. I realize that this shouldn't be a huge problem as the iron sights would be for closer range, but I'd still only have about pistol accuracy at that closer range.

Idea 2. Use see through mounts and just use the factory sights that are on the gun. Problem with that is making the rifle too tall, or still having trouble using the the factory sights if the mounts are too low. I'm not a fan of see through sights, but at least I know this idea will work.

Idea 3. Mount a rail across the factory mounts. Mount both the rear iron sight and the scope to it, then use the top rail on the ATI to mount the front iron sight to. The problem I see with this is that the rear rail would probably be lower than the rail on the ATI. I would think this would make it almost impossible to zero the iron sights in.

Idea 4. Use offset mounts on the action to move the scope over to the left, out of the way of the factory sights. I'm thinking something like one of the pics below. I'm thinking this may be the best option but am unsure. Would moving the scope to the side make the gun feel lop-sided? How comfortable would it be to shoot like that?

Hopefully one of you have done this and can tell me of a simple solution or can verify that one of my ideas will work...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that, but I want to be able to move back and forth between the sights quickly. For instance, hit several targets at 20 yards rapidly, line up a 150 yard shot, and then hit 20 yard targets again.

·
Registered
648 Posts
No good way while maintaining a cheek weld on both. I have just decided to use my scope and take it off if it fails. Using the "buffer tube" as cheek weld with the stock extended gives me proper alignment with the irons for a backup. It works fine this way for me, using the stock ruger rings.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
663 Posts
I dont have a need for that kind of stuf, but if I did I would probably do this. Get a scout rail (amega, ulitmak, etc) and then offset mount the EER scope. You have the scope, and you use the factory irons.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I use a B Square side mount, it mounts the scope kind of high but it has not been a problem. I can engage a coyote quickly and make hits out to 200 yards with the scope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.