Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the deranged Northeast with 10 round limits.
I've seen some Mini-14 "Preban" rifles that include 20 and 30 mags.

Are these older models ok and do the mags wear out and fail? What should I look for when checking one of these out

I was planning on getting a new Ranch with the updated barrel and use the 5 and 10 round mags but wondering if I should consider these prebans.

Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
As a shooter, pre-bans are going to be more miss than hit, especially if used. The only way to know if accuracy has fallen is to test fire, and check rate of twist, which varied over the years.
Those 20 and thirty round mags should be of good heritage or not accepted. I've had to go through and test a bunch of no-names I've collected over the years and demil anything not reliable. Factory mags only.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
I'd go new if its doable and your not getting raped on price. Accuracy should be about 1/2 the group size of the old mini's. I do like the old standard mini's for one reason though. They are closer in design and function to a true military carbine. It fieldstrips down to just 7 major sub-assemblies. and it is a little more rugged, i believe than the ranch rifle modified mini, especially the pre 580 ranch mini's. If you can find an early one owner mini, with very low mileage for a good price, I think it could be a worthwhile project gun.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I love both the old and new, but if you can get a good price on the newer one go for it. The thicker barrel definitely improves accuracy.

Your older mags should work, but you'll have to test them to make sure. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a new one and it fell apart the 2nd time out (ejector broke off) so I'm leaning towards a good used one.
That's disappointing.
I thought Ruger made a quality rifle.

I'm leaning towards a new Ranch. Cost is about $800 with 5 and 10 rd mags.
Used with mix of 10,20,30 are a few hundred more. Not sure on condition nearly 20 yrs old

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's disappointing.
I thought Ruger made a quality rifle.

I'm leaning towards a new Ranch. Cost is about $800 with 5 and 10 rd mags.
Used with mix of 10,20,30 are a few hundred more. Not sure on condition nearly 20 yrs old
Yeah, you might as well get the new one. Good thing about Ruger is the life time warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LGS only had a Mini14 Target with the heavy barrel and ugly stock. No Ranches. Had some a couple of weeks ago and have more on order but not getting very much from Ruger. Cost was $825 + tax for a ranch when in stock.

They recommended the Mini-30 over the 15 since they have a lot of Russian steel cased ammo coming in and cost and availability is much better than 223.

Not sure about 7.62 because its berdan and no brass cases to use for reloading. I have a Hornady press and 223 die set on order already. They said Winchester made 7.62 brass if I ever needed it.

I do like the bigger round though. 308 mini would be interesting if they made one.

They got in a big batch of S&w AR-15s and had sold quite a few of them for $1200 each. Sales guy thought these would be going for $400 in 6 months when every grandmother and household had 3 or 4 of em.

So what do you guys think of going with the Mini-30? It sounded like they were going to be harder to find especially with the slow Ruger shipments. Are they easy to find used and have they been around long enough to find pre ban mags

·
Registered
62 Posts
If at all possible I'd buy a new one. I bought my 580 Mini 14 ranch about a year and a half ago. It has been a fantastic rifle. It has never failed. Even when shooting reloads. The rifle is everything I expected it to be.

·
Registered
666 Posts
:D I think a Mini-14 in 308 would be called an M-14.

·
Registered
666 Posts
:eek: Thanks, Frogman. I had not heard of the XGI. Just did some looking up and now I know. The XGI must have not caught on. Did not see why. Anybody know?

·
Registered
186 Posts
:eek: Thanks, Frogman. I had not heard of the XGI. Just did some looking up and now I know. The XGI must have not caught on. Did not see why. Anybody know?
The XGI was reportedly plagued with accuracy and reliabity issues, issues that Ruger felt they couldn't resolve. Ruger built less than 100, and sent a few to gun writers, but it never went into full production. Ruger eventually shelved the project

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if the appearance of the Norinco/Polytech M305 series of rifles killed the XGI.

I've read Ruger pulled the plug because of accuracy issues but in the 80's the cheap Chinese made M14s were going for $3-400. I know the Chinese rifles had some issues butfor the price, if you got a good one it would shoot reliably and accurately all day long.

Ruger would have lost the battle for that marketspace because put simply, no matter how low Ruger priced the XGI, Norinco/Polytech could undercut it. I remember Ruger was undercutting Smith by enough for consumers to think hard about their choice and my gut tells me Ruger wasn't going to. Be caught being undercutted.

FWIW, I have two Norinco M13s and they both shoot sub moa scoped with good ammo and both are 100% reliable. They cost me $400 each LAST YEAR, so even if the XGI existed, by Rugers current Mini 14/30 pricing it would be $8-900.

JMO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.