Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this won't attract many replies, as there are precious few of us who have gone this route, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

As many may know, I have fallen in love with the "scout" style of optic mounting. Now, I have been unable to use a "standard" IER or EER scout scope, as I have the Ranch Products mount, which requires eye relief that only pistol scopes allow...

I initially purchased a Simmons ProStaff 2-6x32, as I didn't want to invest a ton of money in a concept that I may not like... I've been doing quite a lot of shooting with this setup, and the more I shoot the more I like it.

I'm looking to upgrade my optic, and have found that Burris and Leupold are apparently THE handgun scope manufacturers to check out. I've got my eye on Burris's 2-7x32 and 3-12x32, each with their Ballistic Plex reticle.

Anybody have any experience with either of these scopes? I realize the 2-7x32 is essentially only an upgrade to the reticle (and the quality of the glass, obviously...). I'd like a bit more power, but I'm not sure I need 12x on a scout scope...

Any other recommendations for an adjustable-power handgun scope in that price/quality range?

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
I don't have any answers, but I have a question.

I've always wondered how you can aim with a scope that far forward. I'm not experienced with a wide variety of scopes, but the scopes I have used required my eye to about 1-2 inches from it. Does it take a particular type of scope for the scout setup? How does the target appear from that far back?

If you have any pictures, it would REALLY put my mind to ease :blink:

I love the look, but I just don't understand how it works.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
If you cam imagine extending arms straight out on top of a TC Contender in 35 Rem. I had one of the Simmons as well on this TC, it seams you need to be more steady with longer eye relief. I never shot on a rifle. I personally like the more forgiving eye relief to get on target with. I may look for a pistol or shotgun scope.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any answers, but I have a question.

I've always wondered how you can aim with a scope that far forward. I'm not experienced with a wide variety of scopes, but the scopes I have used required my eye to about 1-2 inches from it. Does it take a particular type of scope for the scout setup? How does the target appear from that far back?

If you have any pictures, it would REALLY put my mind to ease :blink:

I love the look, but I just don't understand how it works.
It does take a specific type of scope. Typically they're designated EER (extended eye relief) or IER (intermediate eye relief), if you're talking about rifle scopes that are designed for forward mounting.

However, handgun scopes are designed for hunting pistols like the TC Contender or, say, .500 S&W, so they are designed to allow for generous eye relief. I dunno about you, but I don't want to hit the bang button on a .500 Smith with the scope an inch or so from my face. :lol:

In my experience, I'm more aware of what's going on around me because I don't have a face full of scope when my rifle is shouldered. I feel like I get on target quicker and can transition from one to the next faster, as well. Not to mention adding weight out front tends to make a rifle more steady on offhand shots.

I had the same concerns as you do when I started this direction, and I was also unable to find much other than "It's great, you'll love it," or "Don't waste your time, it's a fad." Therefore, I'll get some pics through my scope this weekend and post 'em up so you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you looked at the Leatherwood Hi-Lux LER scope? Very bright, not expensive and very cool atop my M1A Scout. Not sure why I haven't put it on my Mini 14 Scout, but that's sure to be next.
I remember measuring my required eye relief to be just over 16", which is why I had to go with a handgun scope.

I'm sure I'll end up with one on that Fulton Armory M14 Scout I've been saving up for... ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like the scout concept also but I backed down. The weight shift doesn't agree with me on the Mini. If it was an M1A Socom I probably wouldn't care. A shotgun scope is something to look at also. I have a Burris Compact Signature 4X that is designed for a cantilever setup. It's short and doesn't weigh much with more eye relief than you might think....although less power than you want. Just my 2cents...I like that gas block mount BTW....that's the route I wanted to go. Interested to see what you wind up with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Zoom scope in scout position

Cobrien, I have a Tactical and have been reading up on scoped scout setups. I haven't been able to handle one to really see what its like. Sure hope you won't mind answering a few questions!

I've been looking at the Leupold 2x8 EER pistol scope vs the Leuipold 2x Scout scope.

I'm curious about the utility of a zoom scope when mounted in scout position. Have you noticed any significant benefits or negatives with your 2x versus your 6x magnifications when mounted in scout position?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you do this Scout setup on a non-ranch series 182 mini 14? Can you still use the open sights? Where do you get the scope mount? I like the looks and idea, just don't know any details. Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Going with a scout setup on a pre-ranch mini is, in my opinion, the best way to mount a scope on that series.

Google Mini 14/30 scout mounts and you will find them. There are a handful of manufactures.

Generally, you cannot use the irons with the scope on there. One way you could use the irons is to mount the scout scope on offset mounts. Or mount some BUIS on the offset mounts.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I remember measuring my required eye relief to be just over 16", which is why I had to go with a handgun scope.
Uh-oh, I guess I should measure the eye relief on my Mini 14 Ultimak configuration. It's longer than the M1A Scout, but I figured it would fit comfortably within the Leatherwood LER's range.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replying from my phone, which doesn't allow "multi-quote"...

The zoom tends to change the eye relief of the scope. IME, this is true of all rifle scopes, you just notice it more because the change is more drastic with a pistol scope. I need to move my head an inch or so forward when switching to 6x from 2x. No big deal, but it's noticeable.

That is a Ranch Products Scout Mount. They're available from MidwayUSA, but only for the pencil barrels. Unfortunately, Ranch Products isn't currently making anything for the newer rifles -- mine was intended for a Mini-30, then I had to remove some material to get it to fit the flange on the barrel.

This IS a see-thru mount. With the proper scope rings (i.e., not too low), you CAN use your irons with the scope in place. I'll get some pics posted up soon.

Other scout mounts like the UltiMAK and Amega will not allow for the use of irons with an optic mounted, but the Ranch Proucts does.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uh-oh, I guess I should measure the eye relief on my Mini 14 Ultimak configuration. It's longer than the M1A Scout, but I figured it would fit comfortably within the Leatherwood LER's range.
You have some additional "rail estate" with that UltiMAK that I don't with my mount. You can mount your optic back further, while I'm stuck out at the gas block.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It seems that accuracy systems inc took the Ranch Products mount and improved it. Added more slots and made it for the skinny barrels and tapered barrels.

Hits the wallet harder at ~$90 though

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You have some additional "rail estate" with that UltiMAK that I don't with my mount. You can mount your optic back further, while I'm stuck out at the gas block.
I forgot you were using the Ranch Products Scout Rail. Cool product, but it is way up there. Makes complete sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts