Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are simple, reversible, and often inexpensive work-arounds, for most platforms.

M1s are not under scrutiny, since they have less than 10-rds mag.

All other semi-auto rifles (except tube-fed .22 RF) have a 10-rd max capacity, with a mag that "is not removeable without dis-assembly of the firearm", OR a semi-auto that lacks some specifically-stated features. A 10-22, with standard. conventional stock, 10-rd mag, and without any specifically-mentioned add-ons also meets the letter of the law.

Replacement of the mag MUST require "disassembly" of the rifle to be accomplished. No mentions of "tools' whatsoever. Apparently, that leaves out Bullet-Buttons for the AR.

These idiots don't see how simple this is.

Even a FAL can be easily and reversibly be converted to a 10-rd mag rifle, fed from top-mounted 10/5-rd stripper clips, and using a special, railed receiver cover from DSArms.

To take the Mini-14/-30 as an example, having a mag-release lever with the lever cut-off flush prevents the Mag-release lever from being actuated without tools, and prevents mag exchanges. Meets RI "Letter of the Law". Maglatch also makes an easily removable (after rifle is dis-assembled) gadget to make the Mini NY/CA compliant as far as "non-removable" mags are concerned.

Since the rifle (suitably modified) is NOT capable of accepting any sort of replacement mag, without dis-assembly of the rifle, the rifle does NOT meet the requirements of "assault weapon". Such modified firearms are NOT required to be "registered" under proposed laws. this is an example of "Avoiding" the Law. Let me repeat: such altered weapons need NOT be registered as "Assault weapons. Such "altered" firearms need not be registered as required by the "Grandfather clause", since the (reversible) mods change the firearms to meet (proposed) RI State Laws Therefore not on any 'radar screen".

FWIW, don't like to jump through all these hoops in order to LEGALLY posses my modified, firearms that are NOT subject to Registration.

My modified firearms will not require registration under proposed RI Laws.

A clever user, here in RI, could modify their Mini with a suitable device, a reliable 10-rd mag, and a stripper-clip guide, loading 10 rds at a time from top of the receiver. Just like an SKS. Doing so would meet proposed Laws. Folding stocks might be a problem, and if so, revert to a decent syn stock. BC (and presumably Choate) folders allow reversible mods which prevent such stocks from folding. NOT sure about Ruger/Samson folders..

Doing such reversible mods to my firearms makes them exempt from proposed Registration, under proposed RI Laws. I hope most folks will see the difference between having "reversibly-altered" firearms, and un-altered firearms that MUST be registered. The proposed RI Laws seem to allow such a distinction, as-written.

I've gotten some flak from Members here on account of my "planning-ahead" for such Laws. So be it. Done everything I can do to forestall such laws over decades, including sticking my neck out, in public, but a blind man can see such laws coming here.

I hope the rest of you do not face the enactment of such laws in your State, but it's a possibility, perhaps a likelihood in some States.

Here in RI, I will be surprised, and delighted, if we 2A stalwarts can prevent enactment of such Laws. Time will tell.

In the event such Laws here in RI are enacted, I have a viable "Plan B".

I suggest YOU make every effort to forestall such Laws in your State, and always have a "Plan "B".

FWIW, I detest avoiding proposed RI Laws, but avoiding such laws goes to show that clever non-compliance goes a long ways.

Always more than one way to skin a cat. Our friends in CA and NY have provided the rest of us with the means to reversibly mod our firearms, and be compliant and un-registered, if need be. Suggest you all make the most of their "Issues".

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Bob: I live in California. Where do you think the Ideas for your laws came from? We has so many GC bills coming out of our legislature that it is nearly Impossible to keep track. The current regime will try to jam thru as much unpopular stuff as they can before they get kicked out in 2 years. Hopefully all of it can be reversed by a Republican Congress and Senate.

Joe Biden is not the one coming up with all this stuff. His "Handlers" are the ones pushing all this stuff, and alot of it comes from Obama who is the "Primary" pulling the strings and Geo Soros who is entangled himself in the Clinton and Obama families. The Justice Democrats who got the Squad elected are also pushing all the unpopular legislation thru AOC and others.
We are in a position right now in this country that is the closest we've ever been to being consumed by Communism.
IF a Civil War is coming, I just pray that I am not too old to participate directly. So Sooner the better IMHO!
Randy

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bob: I live in California. Where do you think the Ideas for your laws came from? We has so many GC bills coming out of our legislature that it is nearly Impossible to keep track. The current regime will try to jam thru as much unpopular stuff as they can before they get kicked out in 2 years. Hopefully all of it can be reversed by a Republican Congress and Senate.

Joe Biden is not the one coming up with all this stuff. His "Handlers" are the ones pushing all this stuff, and alot of it comes from Obama who is the "Primary" pulling the strings and Geo Soros who is entangled himself in the Clinton and Obama families. The Justice Democrats who got the Squad elected are also pushing all the unpopular legislation thru AOC and others.
We are in a position right now in this country that is the closest we've ever been to being consumed by Communism.
IF a Civil War is coming, I just pray that I am not too old to participate directly. So Sooner the better IMHO!
Randy
Understand. Fully understood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To take the Mini-14/-30 as an example, having a mag-release lever with the lever cut-off flush prevents the Mag-release lever from being actuated without tools, and prevents mag exchanges. Meets RI "Letter of the Law".
Be careful about this. Cut down mag-release lever still potentially allow you to remove magazine with tool (flat head screw driver etc) to pry open and release magazine without disassemble action/trigger housing. Make sure you study hard on the legislation.

Kalifornian knows what I am taking about. But there are existing Mini-14/ M1A type mag release block in the market already. Hopefully you won't need it.....

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Be careful about this. Cut down mag-release lever still potentially allow you to remove magazine with tool (flat head screw driver etc) to pry open and release magazine without disassemble action/trigger housing. Make sure you study hard on the legislation.

Kalifornian knows what I am taking about. But there are existing Mini-14/ M1A type mag release block in the market already. Hopefully you won't need it.....
Just in case.

Understood. Can you provide links? Please! Proposed RI Laws only make mention of "dis-assembling" the firearm, and make no mention of tools as regards magazines. Any info will be much appreciated!.

No doubt these %)^#!&)s will seek to "refine" existing laws n the future, so always interested in getting ahead of them.

·
Cognitive Dissident
1,717 Posts
Oh stop obsessing about your fancy guns.

These are all a REAL man needs.

Reactions: Timberdog

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just in case.

Understood. Can you provide links? Please! Proposed RI Laws only make mention of "dis-assembling" the firearm, and make no mention of tools as regards magazines. Any info will be much appreciated!.

No doubt these %)^#!&)s will seek to "refine" existing laws n the future, so always interested in getting ahead of them.
that is the problem..I understand the position your in, but the end game is NO GUNS...so how do you prepare for that?..in the end it will be what state you want to live in that disregards federal laws.( if your in a gun friendly state)..or prevent the laws from ever coming...if possible..if things keep going the way they are, the USA will split into 2 countries or provinces...conservative and libtard land...

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am preparing for anticipated, extremely restrictive Firearms Laws here in RI in such a way as to NOT need to "Register" my firearms. To me , "Registration" is the first, necessary, step to Confiscation.

Visit Rhode Island Firearms Owners League to see the proposed, extreme Laws being proposed. Worse than in either CA or NY. Possibly the most restrictive in the Nation.

I will reversibly modify my firearms subject to proposed State Laws so that my firearms are NOT required to be "Registered". Under the "Radar screen", and compliant with RI State laws. FWIW, SKS, with original mag, is compliant.

There are some viable means to "evade" proposed RI Laws. In the event of a Nationwide "Ban" of existing non-compliant firearms, possibly affecting many other firearms owners, Good Luck on buying devices that will make existing firearms compliant with such a "Ban". Forewarned is forearmed. Bought my devices ahead of time. Best wishes to late-comers.

My firearms will be reversibly altered, if need be. Hope it is not necessary, but am prepared. Don't like it, but have to deal with reality.

We here, In RI, have avoided this BS for decades, but it might be coming, despite all best efforts against such. We'll see.

Always have a Plan "B". And a Plan "C".

We here in RI can certainly use your help and Prayers. We've been fighting uphill for decades. With your help, maybe we can still remain the Single NE State without a "Assault Weapons Ban".

·
Registered
127 Posts
JUST IN-CASE, I'VE CONTACTED RUGER ABOUT CONVERSION OF THE MINI 14 FROM GAS TO STRAIGHT PULL. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU.
THE U.K. CONVERTED MINI 14

·
Cognitive Dissident
1,717 Posts
JUST IN-CASE, I'VE CONTACTED RUGER ABOUT CONVERSION OF THE MINI 14 FROM GAS TO STRAIGHT PULL. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU.
THE U.K. CONVERTED MINI 14
Interesting.

Suddenly your semi auto would be a straight pull bolt.

I'd really like the charging handle on the left side if I had such a rig.

To me it's easier to use the left hand rather than regaining your trigger positioning each time.

I had a Winchester Model 77 for many years in my childhood and youth and the left side charging handle it had was a good design and seems a lot better to me than right side.

Maybe because I just got so accustomed to it.

I'm looking for a chance to buy a Ruger PC 9mm carbine with the reversible charging handle.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting.

Suddenly your semi auto would be a straight pull bolt.

I'd really like the charging handle on the left side if I had such a rig.

To me it's easier to use the left hand rather than regaining your trigger positioning each time.

I had a Winchester Model 77 for many years in my childhood and youth and the left side charging handle it had was a good design and seems a lot better to me than right side.

Maybe because I just got so accustomed to it.

I'm looking for a chance to buy a Ruger PC 9mm carbine with the reversible charging handle.
No need, AFAIK, for doing this sort of Mod, at present. Can see at least one reversible way of accomplishing it, if need be.

Try switching shooting hands/arms. I did so, and it was very revealing. One ought to train with both "hands/arms" as a matter of course. Try doing so.

·
Cognitive Dissident
1,717 Posts
No need, AFAIK, for doing this sort of Mod, at present. Can see at least one reversible way of accomplishing it, if need be.

Try switching shooting hands/arms. I did so, and it was very revealing. One ought to train with both "hands/arms" as a matter of course. Try doing so.
Yes, it's sort of the ultimate and last ditch method.

It would be faster than the average bolt action.

Not a bad scenario.......better than losing the gun if it came to that.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you have an Adjustable Gas Block all you do is close the adjustment screw. Then you have a Strait Pull Repeating Rifle. and guess what You can go right back to Semi Auto by just turning the screw back out.

On my gun the screw is open exactly 1 turn from completely closed. I fired it and the action didn't cycle. So I opened the screw 1 turn and it pooped spent cases out 5 feet to my right. been there ever since. This was a part that ASI made 10-15 years ago that was a fixed gas piston that was threaded for the adjustment screw. $35. You had to drill a hole in the Front of the Gas Block for the adjustment screw. Took 10 minutes to do that. These were made that way by ASI out of very hard metal and you couldn't drill and tap a Ruger one if your life depended on it..

Just shot my gun at a 3 Gun today and I got all the targets knocked down with 32 shots. The AR guys were taking 60+ rounds. This was for 14 targets, 6 at 75 yards and 4 double hits at 175 yards. There was one target at 175 that was giving everyone fits as it was 12" round and painted black. It took me 6 shots to get 2 hits on that one, then 2 easy ones, and then a 8" plate that was painted white and it only took me 4 shots to hit it twice. My first magazine had Wolf ammo in it, which is not as accurate as my reloads which were in the other magazine. I only fired 4 out of the second mag.

All the AR guys had Scopes mounted and I shot with a Red Dot. I was not disadvantaged at all.

Randy.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
A gas bushing without a hole will make the Mini a bolt action rifle. I have considered doing just that on my heavy barrel Mini as I understand it does improve accuracy. Just a thought for the future.
kwg

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If you have an Adjustable Gas Block all you do is close the adjustment screw. Then you have a Strait Pull Repeating Rifle. and guess what You can go right back to Semi Auto by just turning the screw back out.

On my gun the screw is open exactly 1 turn from completely closed. I fired it and the action didn't cycle. So I opened the screw 1 turn and it pooped spent cases out 5 feet to my right. been there ever since. This was a part that ASI made 10-15 years ago that was a fixed gas piston that was threaded for the adjustment screw. $35. You had to drill a hole in the Front of the Gas Block for the adjustment screw. Took 10 minutes to do that. These were made that way by ASI out of very hard metal and you couldn't drill and tap a Ruger one if your life depended on it..

Just shot my gun at a 3 Gun today and I got all the targets knocked down with 32 shots. The AR guys were taking 60+ rounds. This was for 14 targets, 6 at 75 yards and 4 double hits at 175 yards. There was one target at 175 that was giving everyone fits as it was 12" round and painted black. It took me 6 shots to get 2 hits on that one, then 2 easy ones, and then a 8" plate that was painted white and it only took me 4 shots to hit it twice. My first magazine had Wolf ammo in it, which is not as accurate as my reloads which were in the other magazine. I only fired 4 out of the second mag.

All the AR guys had Scopes mounted and I shot with a Red Dot. I was not disadvantaged at all.

Randy.
That certainly might be an alternative to some, depending exactly how the Laws that afflict them are written. In my particular case, proposed RI laws mention "dis-assembly" of the firearm being required to convert it back to semi-auto status amongst other things, like having a non-removable mag of 10-rds or less. Not sure if turning a screw 1 full turn would be considered "dis-assembly" by either typical cop, and/or typical juror. I rather doubt it.

As we both know, there will always be a "Range Nazi" who will take it upon themselves to investigate such things, and perhaps even report people. When the inevitable interrogation comes, I will thoroughly point out how my rifle meets the full letter of RI Law. A problem avoided is often better than a problem overcome.

That being the case, I'm planning on reversibly converting my Mini-14 to what amounts to a 5.56 SKS, should the need arise. I have similar plans for all my other firearms that might be affected, and again, should the need arise.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A gas bushing without a hole will make the Mini a bolt action rifle. I have considered doing just that on my heavy barrel Mini as I understand it does improve accuracy. Just a thought for the future.
kwg
Yes, this would make the Mini a straight-pull rifle. Another alternative, requiring more initial work and money, but not requiring dis-assembly of the gas block during changeover, would be to drill and tap the orifice on the gas pipe, and install a stainless steel Allen Screw.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Bob: the Range Nazi will be a Democrat. And most gun clubs are purging their memberships of all Democrats that voted for Biden because they have no right to shoot anything at any range if they voted for the people who would take it all away.

The Founder of Front Sight has purged his 250,000 membership roles of them and made them know they are not welcome.

Any person who is engaging in this type of egregious behavior towards his fellow shooters needs to be banned from that Range and/or Club as well..

This type of person is what Geo Soros was/is and he made his initial nest egg ratting out his fellow Jews to the Russians in Hungary in the 1960's, then he used that money to go to all the finest schools in England and then set up a Hedge Fund that finally Shorted the British Pound and almost brought the country down. He was branded "persona non grata" and told to leave the country.
Then the Clintons took him in and gave him citizenship here! He is intertwined in the left wing politics of this country so deeply that there is only one way to rid ourselves of his influence.

This is the same brand of traitorous behavior that the Gun Nazi would engage in. They need to be Outed, Doxed and Shamed into a friendless existence. their Personal Values are not American!

Ask me hope I really feel?

Randy

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Bob: the Range Nazi will be a Democrat. And most gun clubs are purging their memberships of all Democrats that voted for Biden because they have no right to shoot anything at any range if they voted for the people who would take it all away.

The Founder of Front Sight has purged his 250,000 membership roles of them and made them know they are not welcome.

Any person who is engaging in this type of egregious behavior towards his fellow shooters needs to be banned from that Range and/or Club as well..

This type of person is what Geo Soros was/is and he made his initial nest egg ratting out his fellow Jews to the Russians in Hungary in the 1960's, then he used that money to go to all the finest schools in England and then set up a Hedge Fund that finally Shorted the British Pound and almost brought the country down. He was branded "persona non grata" and told to leave the country.
Then the Clintons took him in and gave him citizenship here! He is intertwined in the left wing politics of this country so deeply that there is only one way to rid ourselves of his influence.

This is the same brand of traitorous behavior that the Gun Nazi would engage in. They need to be Outed, Doxed and Shamed into a friendless existence. their Personal Values are not American!

Ask me hope I really feel?

Randy
I completely understand. Not my call on "purging" them. If encountered, will deal with them politely, and firmly, and make a public point of "shunning" them forevermore. People will get the message.

If things go wrong here in RI, will have a print-out of current RI Laws available, and politely point out how my reversibly altered firearm is in FULL compliance. Case closed before it opens.

Don't like the possible future, but I think I've figured out ways, even if draconian RI Laws are enacted, to continue shooting every semi-auto rifle I own, bar none. Even got a dodge with Bushmaster M17S rifle.

Spent some significant $, and research/skull sweat on buying additional stuff. Pains me to do so, but it's a middle finger to the Gun-Banners here. Shooting my Mini in a State where they did their best to Ban them is a bittersweet pleasure, to be sure. But I'll still be shooting ALL my reversibly modified firearms.

Hoping (and still working) for the best; Planning for the worst. Your Prayers are welcome!

One thing's for sure: If the proposed laws are enacted here in RI, there will be a mad scramble amongst the folks that did NOT think ahead, and all the devices and such that I've accumulated will likely be in short supply, not to mention higher prices, when available.

It's not hard to see around the curve, toward what might be coming. Just takes some thought and education/experience.

I certainly hope/pray that this sort of thing does NOT come to me, or to you all, but be warned that our enemies are working hard to make it so.

Forewarned is forearmed!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
my type of gun shop...

Missouri gun shop refuses to sell weapons, ammo to Biden supporters: ”Sorry for the inconvenience.’

Posted by: K. Winters|January 25, 2021 |Categories Featured, News

Fair enough. Private seller has the right to refuse service to "Legally Unprotected" people. Can't do that with "Legally Protected" folks, such as specifically-mentioned groups; for example: Racial Minorities, or specific Religious groups, to name only a few.

Personally, I think the 2A applies to all Citizens (with certain legal restrictions, such as people convicted of violent crimes), and those that are turned away from gun shops and so forth have one more grudge against 2A supporters, and the 2A itself. It's my belief that the more firearms owners there are, the harder it will be for the Gov't to enact anti-firearms legislation. Might be wrong, but VOTERS with $$ invested in firearms are not likely to want to see their firearms be outlawed, or confiscated.

I think vendors denying 2A rights to anyone sets a bad precedent, and, in the long run, is counterproductive. But private vendors have the right to do so, in many instances. Their call on how they run their business, not mine.

Of course there is the argument that anyone walking into a gun store, and making a Big Point about being a Biden supporter, or a Progressive, might be too stupid to be allowed handle a firearm, or even own one, but that is another discussion, and another thread.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts