Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 183 in a Tapco stock and would like to attain a wood stock for it. I think besides the stock and heat shield I need a Mag Well reinforcement and some screws. Will later stocks mate with the 183 or am I limited to the 180 series stocks? What should I look for?

Thanks
J

· Registered
10 Posts
You'll be fine to use any stock that was made for the 181 series or later. When you find one be sure it has or to get a reinforcement bracket, two screws and their locking washers, and also a forend liner. You'll need a handguard too. Good luck on the hunt and welcome to the forum.

-Joe

· Registered
32 Posts
How well do they fit?

I just purchased my stainless 581-series GB with factory plastic, and I wanted to dress it up a bit. A BC folder from Cabela's fits like a (VERY TIGHT) glove, with the appropriate metal hardware installed. Next I decided that I needed a wood stock to give it that authentic M-14 feel too. I ordered a walnut stock listed on the Numrich site as fitting a 190-series. (SKU: 1194410) When I tried to install the forend liner and reinforcement, I noticed that the profile at the front of the mag well was different, it looks much thicker than on the factory or the BC. The stock reinforcement wouldn't go in. Not to be waylaid by such minor inconveniences, I dremeled out sufficient wood to enable both pieces of metal to fit in, but they don't touch or overlap as they do in the BC. Some quick measurements with my dial caliper show a barrel channel right at a quarter-inch too shallow for the action to slide all the way down. By this point, I'm frustrated, and then I look down the barrel channel. On both the factory stock and the BC, the metal liner is about a quarter inch below the lip of the stock at the forend tip. On the wood stock, they're even. Did I get screwed on this stock, or are 581-series that different from a 190-series?

I mean, I expected a 1/16" or so of adjustment here and there to get it in, but this is turning into a big project for something that I *thought* would drop right in, as with the BC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.