Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the difference in Tulammo and Golden Bear or Silver Bear Barnaul ammo. I just shot 1 box of Golden Bear and got a 2 inch group with my iron sights on my Mini 30. I prefer the GB but can not locate it anywhere on the web, everyone is out. Anyone have any experience with the Tulammo?

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Anyone know the difference in Tulammo and Golden Bear or Silver Bear Barnaul ammo. I just shot 1 box of Golden Bear and got a 2 inch group with my iron sights on my Mini 30. I prefer the GB but can not locate it anywhere on the web, everyone is out. Anyone have any experience with the Tulammo?
I only have experience with .223 Tulammo, and I shot extremly tight groups (dime size). I have used 7.62 x 39mm in an SKS, and it did really well out to 100 yrds, but I'm not sure how a Mini-30 will perform.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
374 Posts
Herter's is manufactured by TULA. Both are low quality, reliability is erratic. If SHTF ,& last resort ammo was needed, to hunt... & sustain my self , I would force myself to put it through my gun. Read the fine print on Herter's & let me know what you've read. As far as regular ammo loaded in MAGS, for defense...DO YOU AND YOUR SELF A BIG FAVOR; AND AVOID IT. (ALSO, tooo dirty to bother with; carbon fouling , galore)

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
my 581 mini 30 doesn't like Tulammo very much -
10% fail to fire in mine.

it loves the silver bear

as far as I can tell the only difference between gold and silver bear is the casing coating on the gold is brass plated, and the silver is zinc plated.

they both seem to use a softer "sport" primer than the other steel cased offerings - they always go bang in my mini.

they both seem to have a pretty hot load compared to the other cheap stuff I've tried.

they both are pretty dirty... but since I clean my rifle after every use - I can live with that.

My mini 30 is a hunting rifle first and foremost - I have a mini 14 for SHTF use

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think it is as good as Federal American eagle, but 4 bucks less per 20.

Have you found a source. Everyone is sold out of it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I shoot almost nothing but Tulammo .223 in my 580. Never a failure of any kind after maybe a thousand rounds of it. Perhaps I'm over due? Solid so far though. Any accuracy problem is my own and I can't blame that on the rounds. Making that determination would require better eyes and a steadier bench.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've used it. It seems to be accurate, I run a BoreSnake through the Mini 14 before I put it in the case to go home. The price is so reasonable I usually pick up a couple of boxes every time I'm at Wally. I'm stocking up for the SHTF scenario coming after the libs ban it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a mini 14 tactical and its my first mini. When I bought it the dealer sold me a 500 round pack of tula 62 grain ammo, and the first box of 20 I shot would not cycle the gun enough to eject or feed. I thought I had just bought an expensive single shot! I am glad to report that it must have been a bad box because I have shot 3 more boxes and she's running like a sewing machine now so I now think the tula is going to be my plinking ammo, not my SHTF ammo. I willl say accuracy didnt seem bad at 50 yards with irons.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mini 30's HATE Tula ammo, but they will operate very well with the Barnaul (Silver Bear or Golden Bear) ammo. The Brown Bear will not operate quite as well as the Silver Bear or Golden Bear, but it will fire. It just won't cycle as smoothly. Tula will give you a very high rate of failure to fire because the primers are very hard and slightly recessed, and the Mini 30 lacks the more robust firing pin impact of the AK or SKS. The is a current shortage of Barnaul ammo in the US. Hopefully, this will be alleviated before long. If you can find mil-surp brass ammo, that will do fine in your Mini 30 also. Wolf will be about the same as Brown Bear. I use Tula a lot in other weapons, but NOT my Mini 30.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts