Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm going to be upgrading my noodle barrel Mini-14 for the newer Tactical Mini-14. Seeing how I'm upgrading the rifle, seems like a good time to upgrade the glass as well. I was thinking about picking up a Trijicon Accupoint TR-24. Is anyone running a Accupoint on your Mini? If so, how is it working out for you? Pics would be great too!

Thanks,

Scott

I searched but didn't come up with anything.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Accu-Point is a outstanding scope and I am sure it'll do great on a Mini.

I have a Burris TAC30 on my Mini 14 and its a very nice scope for the money, worth taking a look at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
great scope! i have one on my AR and it has made a tremendous improvement to my ability to see the reticle on target.

true 1x, very clear with no color cast. both eyes open shooting works very well.

eye relief is better than traditional scopes - much more forgiving of head-eye position.

the fiber optic triangle glows super brightly and unlike aimpoint, auto adjusts because it uses ambient light.
can't miss it under any conditions. i have not done a night shoot yet, but tried it in my house at night - works great with just the tritium.

for me it works better than any other illuminated reticle i've tried. i finally made the decision after testing literally a dozen scopes back to back at gander mountain.

i wish i had made the plunge years ago.

if you need a variable power optic on your mini, this is a great choice. if you're using your mini for hunting or other somewhat longer shots, give the 3-9x a try. the triangle reticle is surprisingly usable even at very close range.

but, if your mini is "just a truck gun" i would strongly consider an aimpoint pro, or leupold prismatic just for cost reasons. the aimpoint is $400 (and comes with a mount!) and the leupold is $500 where the accupoint is almost $800.

anyhow, i rate the accupoint a "strong buy" if it matches your needs/desires. just consider that you're spending significantly more on the scope than the rifle...

-jmk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JMK,

Thanks for the great info and insight. I've used Trijicon products on service weapons in the past (Reflex II on a 870) and I can say they are high quality. I'm trying to justify the $700-800 price in my head and with the wife. I pulled my Mini out of the safe last month and took it to the range. I got bit by the Mini bug again (thus my desire to upgrade to a tactical). I'm pretty anal retentive with my firearms so it wouldn't be riding dirty as a truck gun.

Cole,

I'll check out the Burris TAC30. I have a Fullfield II and have been completely satisfied with it.

I currently have an old ATN scope on my Mini and it is beat to hell from brass smacking off it. I have to put electical tape on the bottom before I shoot it so it doesn't get beat up anymore. Are you experiencing that with your Mini/Burris setup? Can you post a pic of your rig?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
182 Posts
Scott,

The newer minis eject out the side, so you shouldn't have to worry about hitting your scope when you get your new tactical.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott,

The newer minis eject out the side, so you shouldn't have to worry about hitting your scope when you get your new tactical.

Good luck and enjoy!
Good to know. I'm glad Ruger straightened it out. I think the brass flying out of my current Mini is almost as dangerous as the lead coming out of the barrel. :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like trijicon I have a ta31f acog on my go to rifle ( its not a mini ) and while it may not have the bells and whistles some other optics have it is tough as nails and always on target . this is one time when you really do get what you pay for . I think the tr 24 would be an excellent match for the mini plus give you the peace of mind you have one of the best optics around .

·
Registered
127 Posts
IMO, it's silly to dedicate glass to just one rifle. I have 3 pieces of expensive glass (1x4,3.5x10 and 8x25) and they are all in GG&G QR one piece mounts that I can swap instantly. After all, you can only shoot one at a time.

·
Redleg
260 Posts
Scott,

Good luck and enjoy!
Be careful; this is not strictly or always true. I am not familiar with the Trujicon but I did have some ejected rounds slightly nick an EOTech XPS2-0. For this reason I prefer a tube configuration for the Mini and just for luck I sprang for the rubber sleeve protector for the Aimipoint CompC3 that I now use with my Minis.

·
Registered
218 Posts
IMO, it's silly to dedicate glass to just one rifle. I have 3 pieces of expensive glass (1x4,3.5x10 and 8x25) and they are all in GG&G QR one piece mounts that I can swap instantly. After all, you can only shoot one at a time.
really? in my opinion its silly to have a weapon and not have a sight on it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
really? in my opinion its silly to have a weapon and not have a sight on it.
Not when it's locked in the safe. Granted, the vast majority of my long guns have irons, and I do keep the inexpensive Nikon glass permanently mounted on my deer rifle, but for my competion/varmint/long range rifles I switch up the good glass. No way I'm buying multiple copies of premium optics (unless I win the lottery that is) not when boresighting and zeroing takes 10 minutes. Seriously, who on this forum owns 3 or 4 identical SB's,Nightforces etc. in the same magnification?

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Swede, Nice looking rifle!

Two questions for you:

1. What model Accupoint are you using?

2. What height rings are you using?

Thanks,

Scott
Hi Scott!

Glad you liked my mini!

I chose the one with the red triangle (TR24R). I prefer that color to get the maximum contrast in bright environments. The black vertical bars located under the triangle is perfect for quick target changes. You can´t miss:cool:
TR24R AccuPoint - Trijicon, Inc.

For distance about 300 meters, I use a simple "cat tail" which I mounted on the elevation knob. The switch has only two modes. Short and long distance. Nylon Coasters

Scope rings are 4K30 (30mm Medium).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:)
Hi Scott!

Glad you liked my mini!

I chose the one with the red triangle (TR24R). I prefer that color to get the maximum contrast in bright environments. The black vertical bars located under the triangle is perfect for quick target changes. You can´t miss:cool:
TR24R AccuPoint - Trijicon, Inc.

For distance about 300 meters, I use a simple "cat tail" which I mounted on the elevation knob. The switch has only two modes. Short and long distance. Nylon Coasters

Scope rings are 4K30 (30mm Medium).
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Now all I have to do is secure the funding without my wife finding out!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, after careful consideration and threat of divorce :eek:, I decided to go another route. The Accupoint seems to be an awesome scope but the costs are just too much for me (read wife). So I decided to go with a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4. I ordered it tonight from the online retailer RRAGES Leupold Mark AR Riflescope

I got it for $274.00 ($269.00 + 5.00 shipping) Plus there is a $50.00 mail in rebate.

It seems to be pretty solid from what I read of the online reviews. Anybody using this scope?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, after careful consideration and threat of divorce :eek:, I decided to go another route. The Accupoint seems to be an awesome scope but the costs are just too much for me (read wife). So I decided to go with a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4. I ordered it tonight from the online retailer RRAGES Leupold Mark AR Riflescope

I got it for $274.00 ($269.00 + 5.00 shipping) Plus there is a $50.00 mail in rebate.

It seems to be pretty solid from what I read of the online reviews. Anybody using this scope?
I don't use that particular scope but a good friend has two of them on his AR rifles. His equipment see regular use in the field and he has nothing but high praise for the scopes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice rifle indeed Swede. Can you share some details on the trigger travel limiting screw? That's a nice mod.
Thanks headedtotexas,

My new trigger from ACCURACY RIFLE SYSTEMS has made the gun very accurate with a very light trigger pull (2.35lb). Actually, it is easier than on my AR-15 (scr-11) from JP. Double tap at IPSC matches is a dream now ...! :cool:

The over travel adjustment screw can be set very precisely. The kit comes with Loctite, which is a must.

adjtriggerMini-14 & Mini-30 triggers

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't use that particular scope but a good friend has two of them on his AR rifles. His equipment see regular use in the field and he has nothing but high praise for the scopes.
More positive opinions. I have heard anyone speak negatively of the Mark AR series yet. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts