Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Looking to get some trigger work on my 580 series mini 30 tactical. Who's the best?

This is my my primary hunting rifle...looking to make it a little nicer.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
I had Accuracy Systems give my TG a "Duty" trigger job, and added the "Over-Travel" option. Very satisfied. I suggest only using vendors who do Mini trigger jobs frequently. No shortage of them.

Terry G seems to be respected:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'd fire about 1000-1500 rounds thru it before doing any mods to it.

You may like it better when it's fully broken in.

Randy

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I just take any trigger work I have to my local gunsmith.

Always turns out fine.

Rarely a need for a big name if you have a local guy that does good work........and most everybody does.

Here's an appreciation to local gunsmiths........most put a lot of money into their education and most of them don't charge enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A proper trigger job on a mini is well within the capability of any mechanically minded individual. A little research & some hand tools are all that is needed.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
I just take any trigger work I have to my local gunsmith.

Always turns out fine.

Rarely a need for a big name if you have a local guy that does good work........and most everybody does.

Here's an appreciation to local gunsmiths........most put a lot of money into their education and most of them don't charge enough.
Mini and M1/M1A trigger groups are NOT the same as typical trigger groups. I've successfully modded typical Mauser/Springfield triggers.

Semi-auto triggers are much different.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terry G is retired and no longer taking any work...spoke to him. Its off to accuracy systems after the Holliday. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Brimstone Gunsmiths is another place to keep in mind. They've gotten very good reviews in the past on this Forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Terry G is retired and no longer taking any work...spoke to him. Its off to accuracy systems after the Holliday. Thanks guys!
I sure like my trigger job from Accuracy Systems. My 196 series pencil barrel prints 5 rounds in 7/8" at 100 yards - using a 4x6 as a rest. Action is not super light but is super smooth.

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,191 Posts
Did my own. Stainless Mini 30, used a very fine stone, flitz and cotton felts on a dremel type tool.

I stoned the sear very lightly, just to clean up the machine marks, went from where you can see the machine marks, to just a smooth shine. Then polished it all up, all the parts that touch each other, pins and bores as well. Did not change the springs or any of the geometry, so it has factory type re-set distance etc. But it now is smooth as any trigger I own, and the break is crisp as any I have as well. (I do all my own trigger/smith work.) I've done 1022 triggers with stock parts v/s aftermarket custom triggers, and personally I like my own stuff better. (And I ended up having to "smith" the "V brand" that I bought anyway, and it's nice, but it's not worth the 100.00 I paid for it over the cleaned up stock 1022.)

Kinda feel the same about the Mini 30, most AR triggers etc. (I do confess, I have a drop in AR trigger that has zero take up and a reset that is nearly nothing, and it's about as fast as any "binary" trigger.)

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
It's true that triggers often wear-in and become smoother as time goes by. Also true that a complete dis-assembly and thorough cleaning and lubing right out of the box is often beneficial. That being so, sometimes the springs need tweaking/replacement, and no amount of wearing-in will alter the springs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would listen to what @W.R.Buchanan said. I will say that I only took mine to 500 to 600 rounds before I did my own trigger. I wouldn't do this if you are not mechanically inclined though. Sometimes it's better to just let the pro's do it.
Also, Brimstone is real good at Mini triggers, as is ASI or so they say. Heard good things about Brimstone here abouts

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I took my Mini 30 trigger apart and polished everything that wore against another part. I also replaced the springs. It was better than stock, but stil not as good as ASI.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Something that cannot be overstated is a good trigger job
does not remove metal in the traditional sense.
It is more about polishing. A sapphire hard ceramic does a
very good job of polishing. Never use a course stone.
Extra fine Sear stones will work some, use jigs to do
very rough surfaces but be aware the surface hardening
of these parts is not very deep. If you screw it up you
will pay the price.
I have no recommendations as to who is the best
as I do my own.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My gun broke in nicely after about 500 rounds and the gun at the beginning of the class was completely different that it was at the end of the class. The trigger and the bolt movement was much smoother and the gun made the same sound every time it cycled. Kerplink-Plunk. Surprisingly it still makes the same sound after @ 8000+ rounds thru it.

Minis have a Garand style trigger and beyond polishing it, which takes place during shooting, there is very little you can do to change it significantly.

When you start messing with sear engagement, and overtravel, and closing down the reset you are playing with fire.

Here's a suggestion which only none of you will follow. No two triggers are the same. How about you learn to shoot what you've got? Once you learn the triggers on several guns you will be able to use any trigger.

I have an Enfield #4 Mk1 and the trigger on it is Unique to say the least. It literally moves the striker back .060 during
the creep, which is kinda long. There is nothing you can do about it because of the design of the mechinism.

However I managed to shoot my highest Score ever in Cowboy Silhouette at 32/40 with this gun using Cast Boolits ! This is because I took the time to learn the trigger. And I did all the stuff mentioned in the above description of the mechinism which results in an unsafe trigger if you go far enough to make any big changes.

I wanted to do a trigger job on my Springfield NRA Sporter because it will be a really nice rifle. I bought a Timney Trigger and dropped it in. Nobody can do a better Trigger Job than a Timney Trigger will produce by simply knocking out a couple of pins and pushing them back in.

Unfortunately Timney doesn't make a Drop in Trigger for a Mini 14.

As you can tell I'm not a big fan of "Trigger Jobs! "

Randy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts