Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Marlin 336W, I was sighting it in monday and noticed when its cocked and ready to fire, the trigger has a lot of flop or play.
Is this normal? Is there a fix for it?

I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The Marlin "trigger flop" is well known. It came about when Marlin introduced the 2-piece triggers to keep their lawyers happy (which is why tommyv's 50 year old rifles don't have floppy triggers).
While annoying, it's nothing to worry about: the rifle is perfectly safe.

If it bugs you enough to spend money and a little time to remove the flop and get a better trigger, order one of Wild West Guns' "Trigger Happy" kits from Brownells, Midway, WWG, etc. Costs about $90 and takes 10 -15 minutes to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just checked a variety of Marlin 336 and 94 cowboys made in the last 75 years They do not have any takeup before they release the hammer. Once cocked, you can push the trigger forward if you try - but it does not "flop".

It is the same for pre-64 Winchester 94s

My post Winchester 94's have a rediculous amount of takeup. Probably over 1/2" of travel. They come awful close to being down right floppy. Much looser than the Marlins.

I found no play or pretravel of any kind in the Rossi 92s.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Marlins have a two piece "articulating" trigger. The trigger works like a two stage trigger with no resistance in the first stage. Uberti repros of the 1873 Winchester is the same way. The quick fix is have someone spot weld the two pieces together.
My competition 73s have a one piece (welded) trigger. My Marlin 38-55 has a two piece but it is used for long range shooting so the two stage ain't a big deal.
If I used an 1894 Marlin in competition, I would spot weld the trigger. Fast and furious doncha know..

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I'll live with it for now, I didn't notice it when I bought it. You know how some stores are with those safety devices - affaid your going to shoot it in the store!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.