Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the BBS and have enjoyed reading all the posts. Lots of useful information! I just got my Mini 14 and have found out like everyone else that the accuracy at 100 yards is not the best. I plan to try several of the less expensive options for improving the accuracy. I need cheap modifications that really work like the $20 muzzel brake and simple things I can do myself to get the biggest bang for the buck.
I have a new ss mini-14 ranch rifle with a BSA 3-10X44 scope. After my initial investment, I would be in big trouble with my wife if I spent another $249 for a gun barrel stabilizer.
So here is my question, can I work on the trigger action myself to improve the smoothness of the action and reduce the pressure to around 3.5 - 4 pounds or is this something that should be left up to the experts?
Any other cheap modifications are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

V V

·
Registered
153 Posts
It all depends on your experience and competence. If you've never stoned a sear in your life there are better weapons to learn on. If you're up to it, great. I would recommend a finished pull weight of not less than 4lbs for a semi-auto. If you do farm the job out, talk to Mike Knifong at NW Sooter Support first thing. He's competent, knowledgeble, prompt, and reasonably priced. I would also look into his gas bushing kits of reduced diameter for the Mini-14. I got the bushing kit and a clean trigger job for $50 including S&H, not bad at all. Here's the address: [email protected]

·
Registered
153 Posts
I love BSA scopes. Their quality far exceeds what the price tag would suggest. However, they are not immune to the torture the little Ruger can inflict on a scope. Should you need it, the folks at BSA are wonderful in customer service and will usually replace a scope with a loose lens free of charge. I know this personally. (Tasco too) The gas bushing kit Mike sells is one possible answer to this. I would also look into a Buffer Tech recoil buffer. Do this after you talk to Mike though. The Buffer Tech is $15 and Mike was sending out a prototype buffer of his own as a freebie at the time I placed my order last fall.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reloader,

Thanks for the info! Is the gas bushing easy to install? I do not know a lot about working on guns but I am good with tools and very mechanically minded.
I like the BSA scope, too.

Thanks.

V V

·
Registered
685 Posts
the gas block bushing is easy to install.dissemble the gas block but be careful not to lose the small bushing. change out tho old and replace with one that comes the kit. when putting back together make sure to evenly space the gap on the block and tighten in a x pattern. the buff. tech buffer and wolff xtra power spring do alot for the gun but don't be worried when you can't get the charging handle to lock back before you shoot the gun with the buffer because it needs to be beaten or broken in with a couple of mags.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts