Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad wants to give me some shotguns but does this mean that I have to go thru a waiting period pay a dealer to store them a DOJ fee just to get them in my name? All this for guns which are practically mine.

No Longer Involved
All states have varying rules for which transfers must go through an FFL.

CA requires all sales to go through an FFL. Many others allow long arms such as shotguns to be transferred between individuals without an FFL to handle the business.

Registered
Im not sure where you live as Bill says things in CA. are different But if your father is passing them on to you ,there should be no waiting period or transfer of ownership.Hope you enjoy your new treasures.

Registered
Hey Bill -
I think the key is "give" vs "sell".
I was under the impression that immediate family members in our great state could "give" a firearm with no FFL stuff.
Don't have any first hand research to back that up, but it sounds like a good project to explore.
:trooper:

No Longer Involved
The state of california makes no distinction between giving and selling firearms, relatives or strangers.

A TRANSFER occurs when ownership changes hands, whether money is exchanged or not. Hell, we could all avoid FFLs if we just "gave" each other firearms, and then gifted money in a separate transaction!

That being said, FFL's weren't required prior to 1994. If the person in question has had possession of the firearm since 1994, it is ~theirs~. The transfer occurred when the firearm was given from father to son, from friend to friend.

My father gave me multiple firearms prior to 1994. We have no record of the exchange, and none is required. By law, if he purchases any firearms today, they must go through an FFL transfer to go to me, for example, via his estate.

If you can find wording to contradict this, I'd love to see it (really, I want to be correct). I've read over a lot of documents at the CA DOJ site...

Registered
Who is going to know whether or not you had possesion of the shotguns pior to these "regulations"? and does california have a long gun regestration or permit scheme like that sewer they call New York City?:sniper:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts