Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of moving up from my Mini-30 to a Mini 6.8. I also have a Mini-14 Tactical for SHTF and a converted Saiga AK for 7.62x39 blasting. I have a Redfield scope on my Mini-30 that would go to the 6.8. My feeling is I might be more inclined to use it for whitetail next year over my Savage .308. Nothing wrong with the Mini-30, but I'll get a bit more range out of the 6.8 for sure. Now I know the ammo is much more expensive in 6.8, but again,my Mini-30 is not a blaster, I pretty much limit it to the 10 rnd Promags which I see are now also available for the 6.8! Thinking hard on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have been getting an itch for a 6.8 mini.My biggest concern is whether it would be accurate enough for longer range shooting.What good is a long range cartridge if you can't hit anything?

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
The Ruger 6.8 uses the old Rem SAAMI chamber instead of the new and improved Spec II chamber. You will have to use ammo that meets the pressure requirements for the SAAMI chamber and stay away from the good stuff designed for the Spec II. That is unless you decide to partake in the 6.8 pull through reamer pass around and have your chamber upgraded.

The 6.8 is s good cartridge, but in reality it isn't that much better than a x39. Load data shows that a 6.8 with a 110gr bullet can be pushed to about 2600+fps, load data also shows that a 110gr bullet in a x39 can be pushed to about 2600+fps. In the 6.8 a 130gr bullet= 2400+fps and in the x39 a 130gr bullet = 2400fps. The only real difference between the x39 and the 6.8 SAAMI is the BC of the bullet, and that isn't enough to make a whole lot of difference in the Mini. The Mini isn't going to accurately take you out to the ranges that an improved BC will even be noticed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had both. Bought a mini 30 back in 87 when they came out and got rid of it because of the ex-wife. Bought a mini in 6.8 and couldn't be happier, great accuracy and even with the commercial load ammo (SSA 110gr PH) I'm getting 2700fps. Whacked a doe at 200 lasered yds this deer season only problem was no blood trail. Found her about 20 yds off the edge of a field under a brush pile just by dumb luck.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
I've had both. Bought a mini 30 back in 87 when they came out and got rid of it because of the ex-wife. Bought a mini in 6.8 and couldn't be happier, great accuracy and even with the commercial load ammo (SSA 110gr PH) I'm getting 2700fps. Whacked a doe at 200 lasered yds this deer season only problem was no blood trail. Found her about 20 yds off the edge of a field under a brush pile just by dumb luck.
Did the bullet pass through?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Through and through the shoulders. We couldn't tell where I got her until I dressed her, and found the holes. I posted the same thing on another board and the consensus was that the pro hunters just don't expand well. I'll be changing to 100gr accubonds this summer.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is another thought - send my Mini-30 to ASI for rebarrel to 6.5 Grendel ....

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
Through and through the shoulders. We couldn't tell where I got her until I dressed her, and found the holes. I posted the same thing on another board and the consensus was that the pro hunters just don't expand well. I'll be changing to 100gr accubonds this summer.
I figured as much. The Sierra Pro Hunter in 270/.277 are though bullets designed to perform and 270 Win. velocities, slow em way down to 6.8 velocities and they just pencil through. The same is true with the .308/.311 Pro Hunters, not the best as far as terminal performance out of a Mini-30.

When selecting a Hunting bullet for the 6.8 I would suggest one named 6.8 and not 270/277, that way you know if was designed for the slower velocities of the 6.8.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
Here is another thought - send my Mini-30 to ASI for rebarrel to 6.5 Grendel ....
There are a few good reasons to get an ASI Mini in 6.5 Grendel and many more not to.
The ASI conversion will cost upwards of $700. They will do it up right and your 6.5 Grendel will be an outstanding shooter. Just be aware that your New $1000-$1400 Mini may have a very short life span. If anything goes wrong with the Bolt, Firing pin or any other restricted part you will have a very difficult if not impossible time getting your Mini up and running again. Ruger will NOT fix an ASI Mini and they will NOT sell key parts like firing pins and bolts. But you already new all of this.

The 6.5 Grendel is a neat little cartridge, but it comes with some baggage of it's own. Ammo is hard to find and at times none existent. If you are not a handloader the Grendel may be more trouble than it's worth. Not to many months ago there was absolutely no Grendel brass available and we had to resort to fireforming 7.62x39 brass just to keep our Grendel's running. Ammo was even harder to find.

As for ballistics, the 6.5 Grendel as little over the 6.8 SAAMI chamber and absolutely nothing over the 6.8 Spec II chamber and both of these have little over the x39 at the ranges the Mini is capable of.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve these are good points regarding the 6.5... ASI also offers a Mini-30 to 6.8 SPC rechamber.

But is defense of 6.5 I note it's available on Midway cheaper than 6.8 generally, the new Wolf stuff gets good reviews.

Neither of these are "Walmart common" ammo to be sure, but its out there via on-line sources.

I guess if it breaks I'd send it back to ASI!

5L

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
I guess if it breaks I'd send it back to ASI!

5L
If it were that simple I would have sent my ASI Mini-30 back to ASI years ago. Take my word for it, ASI cannot help you if you need a bolt, firing pin or other restricted part. They do not have these parts, cannot purchase these parts and do not manufacture these parts.

ASI's advice to me was to purchase another Mini-30 to use for parts and send back and forth to Ruger for service and replacement parts then install the new parts into the ASI Mini. Lots of BS and $$ just to keep a $1400 Mini up and running.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually had an ASI Mini-30 in 7.62x39 some time ago, might still be some photos of it on this board somewhere!
Anyway, I really liked that rifle but hard times forced the sale when I was in CA, sort of wonder whatever happened to it, and how it held up over time.
I showed it to my dad once, also an old Ruger fan, and we discussed the silly amount of $ I had sunk into that carbine. He said looked at me after I showed off the gun and said to me "you know its really the process, isn't it?" Pretty smart old dude.
Maybe that is my deal with Minis in general - its the process I like. Heh, who knows. Best,

5L

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not sure why you'd want to use the 6.8 over the .308 for hunting? The .308 will reach out further, has more kinetic energy... Is it the compactness of the Mini?

The ballistics of the 6.8 make it a superior round (to the 7.62 x 39) beyond 2-300 yards. The 6.8 shoots flatter, while the 7.62 x39 begins to drop like a rock...
I believe part of the "raison d'etre" of the 6.8 is the fact that it is adaptable to the straight mags used in the AR platform- and the Russian rounds are not, requiring the curved magazine due to the design of the cartridge.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
The ballistics of the 6.8 make it a superior round (to the 7.62 x 39) beyond 2-300 yards. The 6.8 shoots flatter, while the 7.62 x39 begins to drop like a rock...
Actually they both drop like a rock. With same or similar bullet weights the 6.8 has a higher BC, plug that info into a ballistic calculator and it comes up with less of an advantage than you might think. A 110gr V-Max fired from each at Max velocites nets the 6.8 about a 4.5 inch advantage over the x39 at 400 yards and only a 8.5 inch advantage at 500 yards.

But, none of that really matters cuz the Mini isn't capable of groups better than 3 inches at 100 yards, so taking it out to 300+ yards isn't worth the time it takes to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
200 Posts
stick with the 7.62x39mm bullet its hellava lot cheaper then the 6.8SPC . yes the 6.8 spc has better ballistics long range but not by much.

You wont be able to practice much with the 6.8 they are $$$$$ you can practice more with the .308 then you can the 6.8spc its pretty hard to find those bullets nowaydays

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually they both drop like a rock. With same or similar bullet weights the 6.8 has a higher BC, plug that info into a ballistic calculator and it comes up with less of an advantage than you might think. A 110gr V-Max fired from each at Max velocites nets the 6.8 about a 4.5 inch advantage over the x39 at 400 yards and only a 8.5 inch advantage at 500 yards.

But, none of that really matters cuz the Mini isn't capable of groups better than 3 inches at 100 yards, so taking it out to 300+ yards isn't worth the time it takes to pull the trigger.
Steve - Your ASI did not group better than 3"?

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
stick with the 7.62x39mm bullet its hellava lot cheaper then the 6.8SPC . . . You wont be able to practice much with the 6.8 they are $$$$$ . . .
\

That is something to think about, I decided to keep my Mini Thirty instead of trading it in for 6.8SPC

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is all this talk of M1As, CETMEs or FALs? I thought this was a Mini page!
Just kidding of course, all those comments are valid I think. I actually I have a PTR-91K and it rocks, but not my cup of tea for hunting to be honest.
Also, the Savage .308 is absolutely a better rifle for 200-300m shots, but again, I'm looking to extend the range of a Mini based platform for hunting. Why? Because I've always liked Minis!
I figure with tweaking by Gundoc or Bill Springfield and decent ammo I can get an accurate 150m out of my current Mini-30. Perhaps 100m more with a 6.8 or 6.5, but I agree the cost is high and prob not really worth it. Heck I might as well use the bolt .308 if it was just about that.
What can I say guys, I'm a hopeless fan of the Mini.
The best COA I think right now is to see how much I can get out of my Mini-30, with good ammo. Then go from there. But truth be told good 7.62x39 ammo ain't cheap anymore either!

5L

1 - 20 of 20 Posts