Perfect Union banner

Shoot it or mod it first?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In keeping with my insistance that all this stuff be fun, here's my question for the day:

When you buy a rifle, specifically one that has MANY accessories available...well...heck...make that pistol too, given the 1911 stuff out there.....what was the question?

Oh yeah, when you buy a gun , do you shoot it for a while? or, do you have a vision of some variation you want it to be and start modifying it right away?

What say you? Remember, fun is the goal here.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
315 Posts
I tend to buy the stripped down model and shot it like it is. I do not consider a pistol grip, a plastic stock and a flash suppressor upgrades. I've always been a minimalist. My cell phone just does calls and text messages.... but I'm talking. My Mini 14 wood/blued has nothing else.... but I'm shooting.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Good for it"s intended purpose

the fishslayer is still out here . Leave the mini alone. I have a wood and blued with a 3x9x40 Redfield on it because of can't see caca. I use Hornady #2267"s with 22.5 grs. of imr3031 for plinking. It is not a target rifle but will hit Obama voters @ 400 meters. If you want more get something else.

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
I'm like a kid with a new toy whenever I buy a firearm. I will take it out and shoot it the first chance I get. I always have a few modifications in mind (better stocks, sights, etc.), but shooting it comes first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the fishslayer is still out here . Leave the mini alone. I have a wood and blued with a 3x9x40 Redfield on it because of can't see caca. I use Hornady #2267"s with 22.5 grs. of imr3031 for plinking. It is not a target rifle but will hit Obama voters @ 400 meters. If you want more get something else.
Plan on doing a public shooting ?

·
absit iniuria verbis
316 Posts
I'm like a kid with a new toy whenever I buy a firearm. I will take it out and shoot it the first chance I get. I always have a few modifications in mind (better stocks, sights, etc.), but shooting it comes first.
^^ ditto ^^

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow very bad taste

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm going the other direction: I bought the 5846 Tactical ATI side folder "with everything on it" and am now taking stuff off (actually, just the upper hand guard with top rail - to be replaced with a Federal Ordnance eight-hole handguard).

I intend to add 1911 buffers before attaching my under-barrel green laser, but I can't shoot it until Santa "brings" it.
;)

And I'll add a sling someday.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Definitely shoot the firearm first, then modify it. I like to find out exactly what I want to do to it and have a good baseline from which to work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The reasons I buy guns varies a lot. Sometimes I will own and shoot them without modifying them at all, and with some I start making changes before I even get close to a range, because that was part of my purpose.

As an example, I recently bought a used single shot shotgun with the intent of using it as a sort of "truck gun", so I starting immediately making changes aimed at meeting that goal.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I shoot mine first as well, then tweak it to my liking. One of the big reasons I went with the Mini is because it was different. So why not tweak it a little to make it "yours"?

The gun was jumping off the bags, so I put a Mo-Reaper on it.

At the range the brass was bouncing off the walls and hitting me and others in the head so I put in some reduced sixe gas port bushings.

Buffers are like shocks in a car...you dont want your car being beaten up by rough road so why would you want your gun to beat itself up?

Etc,etc,etc. What you end up with is a gun that is uniquely yours

·
Registered
344 Posts
Shoot it, clean it shoot it some more. If it shoots well let it be.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Depends on what sort of rifle. My 30.06 only had a scope and sling put on it and I already had those. It does not even have iron sights. Gun was made for a scope.

The mini 30 I bought used so I shot it some first then took it apart and looked everything over. I didn't exactly have any sort of plan when I bought it. I picked it up before it disappeared on me.

·
Mini Man
43 Posts
It really depends. But generally, it's fun to shoot it stock for a bit before making it your own.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry to offend anyone's sensitivities. Would it have sounded better if I had put LOL after Obama voters?

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Sorry to offend anyone's sensitivities. Would it have sounded better if I had put LOL after Obama voters?
not really...

right now we have to be on our best behavior. comments like that are sorta playing right into the oppositions hands

maybe someday we can go back to the way it was... but not today.
of course this is just one dudes opinion, it's not my place to correct you - do as you will. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts