Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to respond further to Merlin's question, but at 6:00am this morning, I was already running late to get to the VA hospital in Augusta to have a camera stuck up my keester, along with some inept nurse trying to draw half my blood. These VA hospitals suck!! Affirmative action gone berserk.
Anyway, back to the issue. I've been a member of this site for about 2 months when I went against all kinds of advice from members of AK-47.net, and bought a Ruger Mini-30. My 30+ years of buying Ruger products, coupled with my desire to buy American, took over. I bought a new Mini-30, since I have tons of 7.62x39 ammo, for my AK, etc. This is my 11th brand new Ruger product since 1971, plus another dozen used Rugers of all kinds. ALL HAVE BEEN PERFECT!!!
My Mini-30:
Came with a rear sight too low to adjust;
Came with ridiculous torx head screws for the scope rings that had to be removed with an easy out;
Will not detonate berdan primers reliably;
And last, but not least, came with cocked integral receiver mounts which aim the scope at an angle to the receiver. So rather than blow another 50 bucks on windage adjustable rings, I sent it back to Ruger.(BTW Calvin, send the whole rifle. It's $14.54 including $600.00 insurance through Fed-Ex. Then pray that Fed-Ex looses the f#%king thing) Since the mounts appear to be part of the receiver, I don't see any way possible for Ruger to fix it, without replacing the receiver. Great, that will probably entail more gov't paperwork.
NOW,ON TO MY POINT:
In the 2 months I've been reading you guy's threads, I see the same damn problems with these Minis every day!! I suggest that every member ASAP write polite, but firm, detailed letters to various executives at Ruger, explaining these problems. There really IS strength in numbers. Forget the phone calls. All I ever get is some broad reading off her computer. Start at the top, and work your way down. From what I read from members, and from my own experience, these are just some of the problems that should be addressed:
1) We need mil-spec firing pins to fire cheap ammo;
2) No scope ring set should ever leave the factory with poorly machined torx head screws.
3) IF there is still such thing as a pre-ship QC inspection, the inspection should include proper alignment of the scope bases.
4) Check height of rear sight aperture in relation to the front sight;
5) Barrels should be a true 7.62 (.311) instead of .308 on the Mini-30. I don't know if the Mini-14's have the same problem This is why we can use our barrels for soldering irons after rapid fire, I think.
6) Start making some 10 round mags, because all the after market mags blow dog.
So if we all collectively get on their case, we can use this great forum to discuss some good experiences and suggestions, instead of the constant barrage of the same old unresolved complaints.
Let's roll!!!!
J2H:mad:

·
Registered
716 Posts
We all feel your pain Joe. I have fortunately been blessed with a good Mini-30. No problems (yet), but yes, barrel heat definately an issue.

My Mini-14 also seems to be a champ. Slight inaccuracy problems which have all been (mostly) overcome. Indeed there are 'lemons', and the primary problem with the Mini-14's is the flimsy lame barrel. But we have to keep in mind - this is part of the reason these guns are so affordable. I don't think I've ever heard them touted as being very accurate. They have been in my experience very rugged and reliable. I used to beat up my dad's Mini-14 pretty good in the desert of Colorado (sand, mud, rain), and it has never had a problem. QC definately an issue since you can get a rifle at one or the other extreme... :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Satan.
What year did the 30 come out?
How old is yours?
I presume all 30's are ranch models?
Does the 14 have the same problem with berdan ammo?
I had a 14 in 1979. Never had ANY problems with it. I wish I had kept it. I traded it sraight across for an old Springfield trapdoor 45-70. I got $850.00 for the trapdoor at the Pomona Gun Show in California. Those were the days. At that gun show, you could start walking around from 9am on Saturday until 6pm on Sunday, and STILL only cover about half of the tables and exibits. They had chile ccook-offs, and always had 2 or 3 good bands playing. I'd "borrow" a shopping cart from Safeway for the show, and my ex would follow me around with it, complaining all the way. But there was enough Bud on tap, to drown out that noise!!
Now, I hear that the gutless politicians in Los Angeles County shut it down after many years of "too much fun". I think the promoters are going to have it in Vegas.
Regards,
Joe

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not sure what year they first came out, but mine is 3 years old.
Yes, all Mini-Thirty's are Ranch models.
Some of the 14's seem to be having the Berdan primer problems, but I think it is a combination of the type of primer, as well as it's origin... My opinion is that it has little to do with the firing pins themselves, nor the spring strength.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Satan. I've found the opposite to be true. Here's why:
Day 1: When I first used the rifle, I got 18 out of 80 misfires, but when I re-fired those 18 rounds, they all detonated. On the same day, my son was using my AK and all fired 100%. Same ammo.
Day 2: With new hammer spring I only had 7 misfires out of 80. Five of the 7 fired on the second try. 2 refused to fire at all, but they fired in the AK.
Day 3: I lengthened the firing pin travel a few thousandths and had 2 out of 80 misfires. One fired the second time around, and the other one only fired in the AK.
At another gun forum I read that military berdan primers are a harder metal than boxer primers and therefore require more force to detonate. Now, this is with a Mini-30, I don't know about the 14. Since the .223 Remington and 7.62X39 cartridges were both developed as military rounds, I believe that brass, boxer primed (and expensive!)sporting ammo should not be Ruger's, or any manufacturers, sole standard for reliability in rifles that are based on military cartridges. ANY ammo should, at least, detonate reliably in same caliber rifles. It just makes good business sense!
Then again, I could be full of ****. Possibly, if all Mini's had strong enough pins, travel, and hammer springs to fire berdan's, they might be too strong, and pierce boxer primers. Anybody know for sure?
Joe :beer:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I agree with your empirical evidence. Perhaps it is a combination of 'weak' on the Mini- firing pin side and 'hard' on the primer side. Thus the apparently harder-hitting AK firing pin worked better...

--OR--

Perhaps the POSITION of the pin strike on the primer has a lot to do with it. Does the AK firing pin strike the primer at the same angle/position as the Mini does? I know that angle-of-impact makes a big difference in reliability, as well as position. This certainly has an effect on rimfire ammo - I assume it has a similar effect on center-fire?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
That reminds me I was reading thru a gun rag, last week, possibly The Rifle Shooter? I wish I had bought it. It had an article on firing pins. I think it was entitled 10 rifles, 10 different pin marks? Just remember a little, as I only skimmed it. The shape of the firing pin tip, wheather it is a large rounded tip, or a sharp pin tip makes a difference in impact penetration. I'll go to Books A Million and look it up.
The only misfires I've had with my 196 mini is with the steel cases. I had a burr on my extractor, plus there is little champher on the case heads to begin extractor movement to acept the case. So the extractor wouldn't always grab the case, and I would get a misfire with only a lite hit on the primer. I removed the burr by hand with a stone. That helped. After that I had no problem with the Winchesters, and maby 1 or 2 in 40 rds of the bernules. Don't know how the burr got there. Some of it looks like it was poor quality in manufacturing. Will post if I can find that article.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts