Perfect Union banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10/22 SS with a barrel that measures 920 at the breech and 707 at the muzzle. The stock is what appears to be original issue wood. I bought the gun used so I'm not 100% certain that it is abosolute stock but it doesn't show any signs of having been modified. I get consistent 1/2 inch groups at 25 yds and am looking to improve on that. I am reluctant to float the barrel because there is only one screw that secures the stock to the action. Will floating the barrel cause the action to "rock" forward in the stock or is the single attachment point sufficient to keep the action anchored securely?

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
I was under the impression that the best method was to bed the first 6" or so from the receiver, free float the rest of it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My non-professional, shade tree gun mechanic opinion is that bedding the gun action and floating the barrel with the singe retaining screw would actually make it hold better and not worse. However, it would depend on how you bedded/floated it. The real question though is, would floating the barrel do anything to improve accuracy or not?

In my own case, all I had to do was replace my wood stock with a Fiberforce stock but my gun is a Marlin 60 and not a 10/22. The original birch stock had warped and was scattering my pattern. I could probably go further but it is just at moa(inch or so at 100) if I am having a good day and that ok with me. What I did find was that my gun loves the CCI tactical ammo. I tested about 8 or 10 types of ammo and got crazy results. Maybe you need to find the ammo your gun shoots best before you dive into bedding the stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts