Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some may think this is way old but some of the newer reloaders, like myself, might find it useful.

for those using lee presses or lee dies in their presses with the auto disk or sliding charge bar type system and using the lee crimping die, you may have an issue with flake or ball powder getting into the crimping die.

i had a piece of tape covering the top-side opening of my crimping die but found out that using a black mil-spec AR muzzle cover, it fits the die body perfectly and keeps any dirt-dust-powder or other particulates that may prevent one of the collet quarters from fully crimping.

just thought i would pass along something i thought was useful.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good idea. I use masking tape, but the muzzle cap is a better idea.

I'll offer another tip. When you get corn cob inside case flash holes, use a big paper clip with one turn straightened out to push the cob out. Cheap and effective.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm fairly new to reloading.

One tip I recently learned was to tighten the decapping pin (RCBS decapping die) while the pin was in the flash-hole of a spent case. It helps to align it and keep it centered.

·
Registered
147 Posts
don't deprime them before tumbling, and you won't have media in the primer flasholes. I've never seen tumbling clean primer pockets worth a hoot, anyway. I have a buddy tumble 5000 rds at a time in a cement mixer, with corn cobs and polishing compound. if i was small time, i'd just decap cases, tie them in a sock, toss them in the laundry, dry in hot sun, with bug netting over them, so birds wont steal them, or in an oven on a cookie sheet, lowest heat, with door open. primer pockets dry slowly, moisture there creates dud rds, so be careful with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts