Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what has anybody done lately to their AR that I can read about.

I like this Forum and I'm waiting for a new post to read...but it ain't moving along fast enough for me.

So I'll post about something.

I didn't like how the front sight post was blocking the scope sight picture on my new (bought used) nifty Leupold scope when on its low power setting, so I just hacked the dang post off to get it out of the way.

It was even an "F" marked front sight, to go along with the Sig Sauer factory flip-up rear sight, but I wasn't going to wait for a replacement gas block when I had a hacksaw sitting in the garage only 30 seconds away, which cured the problem like "right now".

Besides, I wanted to be able to unscrew the handguard, so I could clean & lube under there, or to replace the gas tube easily if ever needed, and most Swan/Weaver (ok Picatinny) gas blocks don't allow you to remove the handguard without first removing the gas block.

I didn't like the carbine legnth handguard that I first had on there, because even though I could remove it easily, it showed off my butchered front sight hack job, so I went with a longer mid legnth one, (which I like) but of course now there is no place to attach a front sight.

So here's what I'm thinking...:rolleyes:

I'm going to go get one section of a Weaver two piece scope base that I will attempt to match up to the height of the flattop height of my Ar-15, and then mount it out on the end of the tube with screws and maybe even some JB weld for good measure...HA!.

I've already ordered a polymer "handguard height" Magpul flip up front sight, and am now out the door in search of a Weaver scope base.

I'll keep you posted...unless this idea doesn't work...in which case you'll never hear another word about it.

Now somebody else come up with something.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey not a bad idea woodstock, but for now I just got a Weaver mount at the LGS and I think with a little fitting I might get the contour to match the float tube contour.

However I'll keep those in mind.

So back when I first purchased my Sig Sauer M-400, it had the Magpul MOE OD green furniture on it.

As it was the only new AR-15 I could find, I lived with that color until I put a black free float tube on, and then I thought the green stock and hand grip just looked out of place.

At that time, the only black stock the LGS had on hand was a Stag brand so I bought it, but it didn't seem to fit as tight as the green Magpul MOE one originally did, but today I found a black Magpul MOE mil. spec. stock at that LGS and I bought it.

Then I drove back home (50 mi.) and discovered that the black Magpul was just as loose a fit as the Stag one...:huh:

Brought back the stock (another 100 mi round trip) and I guess I'll keep looking until I can find a tighter fitting black mil. spec. stock that I like.

Sure seemed that the green MOE stock was a tighter fit than the black one though.

On a brighter note, that LGS did finally have a total of (7 whew!) one pound bottles of various powder types, on what has been an empty shelf for the last 4 months, and one of them was actually suitable for reloading the .223, so I grabbed one lb. bottle of Hodgdon BL-C(2) and I'll give that type a try. :)

So what is everyone's opinion of how tight/loose your collapsible stock fits your buffer tube?

· hostilenativelibertarian.
7,889 Posts
:lol:Duct tape!It may not be very adjustable afterward-but it wont rattle either!Duct tape!:blink:

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that is an excellent idea after all woodstock! :D

I got to thinking that while that Weaver scope mount piece I bought might work, it would probably be too short and leave some of the Magpul front sight unsupported when in the folded down position...I'll have a better idea of what I'm dealing with when the sight arrives.

However I did notice there is a 2" setion of my handguard that is not knurled up front, and that would be perfect for mounting that Magpul L2 MOE rail section! :cool:

I like your rifle handguard (looks like a DPMS) and how it covers the gas block like mine does..."like minds think alike"....however while I do like your stock, I want mine to collapse to as short a OAL as possible while transporting the rifle on my quadrunner when I'm headded to the ol' gravel pit out in the sticks. :)

magnomark,
Dispite the fact that your trying to be a "dipstick" :lol: you actually may be on the right track there.

What about a couple of thin strips of "Gorilla Tape" at the 10 & 2 o'clock position inside the stock tunnel to eliminate some of the slop...hmmmm :rolleyes:

Big Fun You Guys!

· Registered
3,368 Posts
I like your rifle handguard (looks like a DPMS) and how it covers the gas block like mine does..."like minds think alike"....however while I do like your stock, I want mine to collapse to as short a OAL as possible while transporting the rifle on my quadrunner when I'm headded to the ol' gravel pit out in the sticks.
It's actually came off a Rock River Arms mid length. My intent was to make this a mid length build but the guy who sold me the barrel didn't know what he had. I ended up with a Yankee Hill Machine 16" barrel so I had to put the low profile gas block up under the handguard. I do like the look though.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's actually came off a Rock River Arms mid length...I do like the look though.
OK so I was close, still looks like a DPMS anyway.

And of course you like the look, you have an eye for style. :cool:

Called every gun shop that I know of in this state and was willing to burn a tank of gas to go get that Magpul rail, but nobody had one in stock. :(

Ordered one from Amazon today and now I'm forced to be patient...definitely NOT one of my [email protected]#%*! :angry:

7,889 Posts
:lol:BRL-No I'm not trying to be a dipstick-I hate my rattle A$$ M4 rear stock!And the easiest /cheapest way to dampen the rattle was/is with duct tape!;)

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"A Hell Of A Price To Pay For Being Stylish!"

I don't know you guys...<_<

Got the front sight today and I'm trying to picture how this thing would look when the Magpul L2 rail arrives.

To me it takes away from that "smooth" look, and let's face it: That Leupold scope is probably tougher than the rifle is.

Besides, this AR-15 was purchased primarily for putting holes in paper plates and tin cans and just all around plinking fun.

I suppose I could remove the sights when not in use, which would just leave the rail...or I could just shuddup and live with the added option of having a backup sight system installed on the rifle and not left in a dresser drawer somewhere.

Hey trying different ideas on these rifles is just part of the fun. :cool:

· Registered
343 Posts
That's the 1st time I've seen a sight mounted to a tube before- I like it!

I to, like that case and was wondering but afraid to ask - since I probably can't afford it!

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just Ask!

Feel free to ask any questions you like guys...especially since you've renewed my enthusiasm for mounting that front sight with your approval sharky8js! :D

I modified the molle straps that came with this case to suit my needs, including the addition of a home made strap to better secure the bolt carrier group when bouncing around with it on my back in the woods while on my quaddrunner.

So can you guys come up with thirty five bucks?

Amazon.com: Black 28" Discreet Single Rifle Case Bag with full molle strap system and backpack straps: Sports & Outdoors

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Magpul CTR Stock

I'm thinking this stock might be the answer to my current loose stock fit, but I really don't know how well they work in actual use.

Anybody have any experience with this model stock?

Amazon.com: Magpul CTR Mil-Spec Carb Stock, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Oh, and my front sight experiment my be on hold for awhile because I live in Washington State...and the Magpul L2 rail section is being shipped from...Kentucky???

Didn't have one any closer than that Amazon?

I wish I'd spent the $20 shipping, to get that $6 part here overnight now. :angry:

But I think I've figured out how I'm going to mount the rail solidly using the threaded handguard attachment studs that I think come with it.

I used the same method to attach the front of the sling to my handguard using a modified Harris bipod stud I had laying around, because I felt it had stronger threads than just tapping threads into the free float tube itself.

Well that's the method I'm picturing in my head anyway. :unsure:

7,889 Posts
;)I have used the ff tubes with a washer and nut arangement on inside with very good results!Partially crush the threads on the end of the screw and use your favorite flavor of locktight-it won't work loose!:D

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Tinkering!

Well I received the Magpul MOE L2 rail in the mail today and it's looking like it is going to be too tall to be even trimmed to the correct height without ruining it. :(
So now I'm thinking I might try to modify a Ruger 10/22 scope rail or something along those lines.

Just a minor setback in that department for the moment.

But on the bright side, after searching four (!) different gun shops, I finally found a black Magpul CTR stock, and after a little modification to add an Uncle Mike's sling swivel stud onto it, I'm real happy with the way it looks and reduces virtually all of that sloppy stock feeling when in use. :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.