Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some 55 gr sp 223 from brownell's (winchester). When it arrived I discovered I'd bought some "tin lead free" ammo.

I don't much care for the EPA and its attempt to disarm people by trying to ban lead ammo. However, now I've got all this ammo -- what to do with it?

Is this stuff any good? Does it compare with standard lead core soft points? Should I contact the seller (brownell's -- and there was nothing in the item description that said it was lead free) and ask them to exchange it?

thanks tim

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
You should try a box and see how it shoots. Usually lead free cost 2x more. Is this hp ammo?

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
It could shoot good in your gun. Generally a all copper bullet is longer than a lead bullet. Example, a Barnes 62 grain triple shock is nearly as long as a 70 grain hornady amax (lead)

Just watch the length vs your rifling. I believe a 55 grain copper is almost as long as a 60 grain lead bullet (I havent measured to verify yet)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I'm worried about is performance after hitting the target. I'm wondering if it will mushroom as well. tim

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I doubt that is all copper ammo. If it says "tin lead free" it is most likely varmint ammo that is made up of a copper jacket, and a core made of sintered "or compressed" tin fragments. If firing this into a body larger than a coyote, you will not be too impressed.

I'm am positive, if you go back to the web page you ordered it off of, the type of bullet, IS MENTIONED. If not you might have a case, but otherwise every web site I have seen says absolutely no returns on ammo. That is a safety issue, that prevents someone from tampering with loaded ammo, and someone else getting it later on and being injured.

If there is no mention of the lead free, or if the ammo you ordered was NOT lead free, they should send you the correct ammo and I doubt they will ask for the other back.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right. I ran the part number too and it's for the tin lead free. Nothing in the item description. tim

·
Registered
397 Posts
They got a ... 100% Satisfaction Guarantee on Everything We Sell
If you aren’t completely, 100% satisfied with any purchase you receive from Brownells, for any reason, at any time, return it for a full refund or exchange. No hassle, no problem. And, we won’t bog you down in endless paperwork. Your complete satisfaction with each and every product we sell is what’s most important to us.

How much did you buy? You just want to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
No, he NOT stuck with it. If the supplied link is where he bought the ammo off of, Brownells has an incorrect listing. The power point bullets are NOT lead free. Someone posted the wrong description or the right description and the wrong part number linked to it. Either way they are in the wrong and should either take it back, or refund his money or send what the description says.

I would NOT settle for anything less.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Umm...

To the OP: If you don't want the ammo, contact Brownell's and see if you can return it. Tell them what the issue is. They may accept it, they may not.

No need to start a pissing contest here, guys. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i tried sending several emails to customer service at Brownell's and got no response. So I tried calling today and everything fell into line. They will have UPS pick up the wrong ammo and will make good on the ammo I do want. Makes me happy and I'm happy with Brownell's. Anyone can make a mistake. A good company is the one that will correct it. Tim

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
i tried sending several emails to customer service at Brownell's and got no response. So I tried calling today and everything fell into line. They will have UPS pick up the wrong ammo and will make good on the ammo I do want. Makes me happy and I'm happy with Brownell's. Anyone can make a mistake. A good company is the one that will correct it. Tim
Glad to hear it worked out for you. Even more glad that Brownell's didn't leave you hanging (once you called, that is...;)).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts