Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mini 14 throws brass about 10 yards at about 4 O'clock. I realize where brass goes is a function of the ammo also, and I'm shooting PMP.

Are my results about what others have observed?

·
Registered
716 Posts
You bet! I get about TWENTY (20!) yards of brass out at 4 o'clock, especially with the Remington ammo. The Wolf doesn't go quite as far being heavier steel-cases. (I've eliminated this problem with a brass catcher - there's pics somewhere around here). Also, if you look at the neck of the brass casings, you may notice that almost all of them are dented in a little from the op-rod on its way to closing.
:rapid:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Satan2655
.... Also, if you look at the neck of the brass casings, you may notice that almost all of them are dented in a little from the op-rod on its way to closing.
Thanks for the feedback, all.

Yes, I've noticed that dent but didn't know what is causing it. Seems like about half my cases have it. I save the brass, although I don't plan on reloading anytime soon. I'm mainly a pistol shooter (45acp) so can't get over leaving perfectly good brass on the ground. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...SA 55grn fmj ammo stink like ammonia!
I've not noticed that. Where the heck do you shoot? Notice any really little one story houses there, those about 3 ft square and 8 feet tall with a little half-moon on the door?

Or, do you shoot with lots of dogs and near a fire plug......:D

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ok I just checked it out on my Mini. When the bolt cycles back the rim of the spent case impacts the ejector bolt stop & is slammed to the right into the receiver rail. This is on a Ranch Rifle. I don't see a way to soften the ejection without causing possible problems with the last round hold open feature of the design. As to finding all your spent hulls I'd buy a brass catcher. But I wouldn't be caught dead with that ugly thing on my Mini! Brass is just too cheap!

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roger that, brass is cheap for the Mini. Sometimes I wonder why I bother to pick mine up at the range (they have staff there who does that if you leave yours). I suppose it's just a habit from shooting pistols and saving brass for 30 years or so. ;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
I pickup my brass too or at least what I can find of it. I'm frugal that way even if 223 brass is cheap. I've grown a new fondness for my old Model 29 Smith by the way, shoot a box full & take home a box full.

Good shooting
Bushwack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.