Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have personal experience, good and/or bad with the Hungarian AMD-65?

I want an iron sights plain plain Jane AK and my Hungarian Mosin needs a friend.
I know the barrel isn't chrome lined.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is it an SBR?!...or standard 16 inch?

Older Hungarians were brought in by Century Arms if I remember and you should pay attention to the rivets. (Century...especially older Century is not known for the best riveting job) otherwise Hungarians are pretty much standard combloc AKM types. The parts are GTG. Be mindful of who built it, when it was built, what barrel it has etc...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Buds has the AK63d on sale for 611 right now... Essentially it's a c39 milled Reciever with an under folder stock... The internals and parts kit is all Hungarian... I've heard nothing but great stuff about these and if your looking for Hungarian you should jump on it as fast as possible!

It's put out by century of course.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Looks like a really good deal!

When you can you should pick some yugo mags or yugo BHO mag followers up. They usually cost around 15 for a 3 pack but a lot of guys really like having that feature.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip the bho sounds convenient. Since I'm in nj I have the pleasure of driving to PA, buying mags and pinning them to 15rds at my in laws prior to entering NJ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The AMD65 is usually modified

The AMD65 original barrels were really short, requiring a permanently fixed extension for US legality. If the barrel is the original length, the sight radius is really short, making accuracy harder than usual with an AK. A frequent pattern of permanently attached muzzle device is the same general pattern as the original device, which gives an awesome pyrotechnic display on either side of the muzzle. The display was so bad, I eventually had a flash hider installed instead.

The front grip usually interfere with a 30 round magazine, so I have a pile of 20 round magazines for my AMD65.

The folding butt gives you nothing to rest your cheek bone on, so your chin rests agains the rod of the butt. There is an aftermarket company which makes bolt on cheek rests, which sort of work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I ran them in Afghanistan in the 2009-2011 time frame. Great weapon. Especially with the current aftermarket support. I have a braced pistol build on an OG kit in the makes. This is a clone of mine I had made by Definitive Arms several years ago. We did a regular sized gas system and a permanently attached brake to reach 16 inches, to avoid the NFA thing. Most dont even notice it until I point it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts