Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want one of these nearly identical rifles...

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS Tactical - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Howa/Hogue Heavy Barrel Varminter Rifles

From what I have read both are reliable, accurate, and well liked. Out of the box the Howa has a reputation for being perhaps slightly more accurate, and it is about $100 cheaper than the Remington. However, the Remington retains resale value better and has the reputation of... well, being a Remington. They use the same aftermarket parts so that is not an issue (Howa advertises to use Rem. 700 parts for repair/upgrade).

Any opinions? (Preferably with a reason beyond "I have one so that makes it the best").

Right now I'm leaning toward the Howa, but I'm not sold yet.

·
Registered
819 Posts
GDK, I have a Vanguard that is made by Howa and it is a very solid and accurate rifle. If having a one piece,forged bolt and forged receiver and no plastic anywhere, is important to you, get the Howa. You won't be disappointed. As far as sharing aftermarket parts, I think the scope bases are the only thing I know of. Let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Of all the guns I've owned, shot, sold, traded, gave away - only a couple remain that'll never have to worry about their spot in my safe - my Howa 1500 is one of them. A little history here, Howa has made bolt action rifles sold as the Smith and Wesson 1500, Mossberg 1500, and makes the Weatherby Vanguard line. I bought mine used. The receiver is marked Howa 1500, but the synthetic stock that came in it is marked Mossberg1500 on the inside. Gun Tests magazine did a head to head years ago and the Howa beat the Remington and a Browning (I think) for overall smoothness and accuracy.

You honestly won't go wrong with either one, but if you buy the rifle without resale in mind, you'll like the Howa.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howa it shall be then... Resale value is only important to me if I don't like the gun, it seems like that wont be an issue here.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Howa for sure, but also look at the Savge and Stevens line of rifles. They have a lot to offer. Go to the general rifles section and read my write up on the Savages, they have made some very good changes lately and are by far the best shooting right out of the box.

The ability to easily change barrels is a real plus also, especially if you have shot out your barrel, you can change them yourself.

Back to the Howa. If you have your mind made up on one of the two you mentioned, the Howa is a fine rifle. I have one in 22-250 that I built, they have a very nice action and the trigger can be adjusted for a pretty darn good pull. The barrel shank has metric threads and if you don't have a lathe that easily sets up to cut metric threads, they are a pain to re barrel.
My Howa is a really fine shooter, you could do far worse.

As Gun Doc said, don't worry about re sale, get the gun you want. Remington has changed some things in the last year or so that is going to make them not worth what the older models were.

Whatever rifle you get, enjoy it and good shooting, John K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts