Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have never tried their standard capacity 20 or 30 round magazines but I do have one 5 and one 10 round JM Mini 14 magazines that I use for ranch duty. The 5 round magazine is used when I'm on horseback and carrying in a scabbed.
The 10 round gave me feed issues right out of the box but was an easy fix with a pair of pliers, the left side feed lip was a bit low, could of been hit or dropped at the factory and got by QC as the packaging it came in was not damaged when I bought it. After the fix they have both worked 100%

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
In 2005, (right after the 1994 AWB expired), Masen was one of the first to produce full capacity magazines for the platform again. I bought several.

Some of them worked well, others required some custom fitting, and one or two would never work properly.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had three of them from the ban period. Worked fine until I did quick mag changes and dropped a part loaded mag onto concrete. On the feed lips. Bent badly and the mag never recovered.

Didn't have that happen with factory mags.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have about fifteen of them from the ban period. All worked perfectly. They were considered the closest to factory mags. I've since started going with 20-rounders - haven't even looked to see if Masen sells those, as I grabbed a bunch of factory mags while they were available around $20 a few years ago. The 30s are a problem shooting off bench.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Honestly the reduced cost of these aftermarket mags isn't much of a deal maker considering it seems no one except Ruger seems to know how to make a functioning magazine for the Mini 14.

If a magazine can't feed the number of rounds it was designed to hold reliably, it isn't worth it's weight in gold.

Buy factory mags. Yeah they're expensive but they'll work.

I've heard the NEW Tapco mags for the mini (you can tell by the metal feed lips) are supposed to be pretty good, but honestly they're so big and bulky, I'd still go with ruger factory mags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts