Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older bottle of Markron Bullet and Primer Sealer that was thickening up. Just got off the phone with the co. that makes it. Was told it can be thinned out back to original consistency by adding a bit of Lacquer Thinner to it. I was cautioned to add just a bit at a time or as the lady Jan said "a little goes a long way". Great product, probably the best for sealing ammo for weather and long term storage. They do sell a thinner for the sealer, but Jan told me what they use to save me a little money, probably because I'm local, so I thought I would pass it on.

Markron Bullet and Primer sealer

Registered
Lacquer thinner is my go to on many issues that need thinned. I typically use some finger nail polish for primers. But, i am a cheap skate.
kwg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That there is a good tip. Have you ever tried a dunk test in water? I'm thinking one might be in order for me.
Do you have a favorite color that works best for you? or do you grab what you can when the mrs ain't looking. LOL
Seriously I like the idea of using the nail polish. Markron has a set with multiple colors, which can be useful for identifying different loads. Been thinking about more long term storage for some ammo. But at $25 for the set, the nail polish looks like a pretty good deal

Registered
Not on here as often as I used ta be or would have commented earlier.

Wallies carries 'Sally Hansen' brand 'Hard as Nails Extreme Wear' nail polish, 11.8 ml (0.40 fluid oz). Variety of colors, under $3 last time I looked. Smells just like every other nail polish. Scientific analysis. /s

Decades ago I read a biography of Charles Revson (1906-1975), creator of Revlon cosmetics. then a popular low to mid-price brand. According to the book, the marketing cost of a tube of lipstick was more than manufacturing cost. IOW, the damn lipstick cost more to advertise than to make. And this was a low-to-moderate priced product, not a premium brand with big ads in Vogue & Glamor.

I'm sure this is true of many consumer products, especially cosmetics. But it made a big impression on young-adult me: Women paid more to have the product sold to 'em than for the product itself.

As thick as is most nail polish, one could probly dilute it with a little acetone & have a fine cartridge sealant.

FWIW....

Registered
When I had some primers to seal many years ago, Winchester told me they used a lacquer. I discovered that if I bent a paperclip into a U shape with the two prongs spaced apart the diameter of a primer, I could dip both prongs into the lacquer at the same time. Touch the prongs to opposite sides of the primer simultaneously and some lacquer would quickly flow around the primer. Wipe off any excess and then let dry.
The lacquer needed to be thinned with lacquer thinner to make it flow easily, but don't thin any more than needed.

Patron Saint of Rye
That there is a good tip. Have you ever tried a dunk test in water? I'm thinking one might be in order for me.
Do you have a favorite color that works best for you? or do you grab what you can when the mrs ain't looking. LOL
Seriously I like the idea of using the nail polish. Markron has a set with multiple colors, which can be useful for identifying different loads. Been thinking about more long term storage for some ammo. But at $25 for the set, the nail polish looks like a pretty good deal
I never seal anything and have had hundreds if not thousands of my reloads go through the washer and dryer.

They have all worked without fail. Don鈥檛 overthink this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your going to have to explain this, you wash and dry your ammo?

Patron Saint of Rye
your going to have to explain this, you wash and dry your ammo?
I shoot competitively and burn somewhere between 35k-40k rounds a year鈥 Therefore random bullets wind up in every single pocket of everything I own. Lots will end up going through the wash. My wife just puts them in a can in the laundry room because she finds so many of them.

I鈥檝e never had one fail.

Reactions: Walkenbear

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good to know. first thought was you actually washed and dried your ammo on purpose. I was envisioning rounds tumbling in the dryer popping off. LOL o_O

Registered
I've been using sally hansen teflon tuff nail polish for years.
did a water test years ago 100 rounds 60 days 26" of water
disassembled 10 rounds no leakage no ftf's in the 100 round
block.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts