Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am always looking at things wondering "what if" and I got to wondering if the bolt of the mini 14 (223) would work or could be enlarged to contain the 6.8 SPC cartridge base? I am wondering because wondering about that case necked down to 6mm.

The length of the 6.8 brass is shorter than the 223 case, so that is not an issue.

Can the bolt from a 6.8 mini be interchanged into the mini 14? I read somewhere of someone that was converting the 14 to 6.8 or 7.62x39, but I am thinking more along the 6mm line, just because.

I see now it is called the 6mm WOA, anyone familiar with it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Probably cheaper in the long run to sell the -14 and buy a 6.8 honestly. i'll bet 6x45 would be easily doable in a -14 though. 6.8 mags are a (very) tiny bit shorter front to back as well, though I haven't gone to the safe to see if a 6.8 mag will seat in a -14 tightly.

Edit. Well, I'm getting senile I guess, because it's not the length that's the issue, it's the width. Not even close. As to whether 6 WOA would feed from a -14 mag I have no idea. Have you considered the 6mm AR improved? http://www.6mmar.com/

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, there are a lot of things that have to be done to the rifle regardless of which caliber I start with.

Mine is a Target model and I am hoping I can find someone to re-bore and re-chamber the re-existing barrel. Even if I sold it for a 6.8 then it would have to be re-barreled with a 6mm barrel and be chambered for the round. Not much different than what I am doing, and you would still have to cut the barrel for a special gas block and work out the timing issues along with it.

I Figure this way, all of that would be done. It seems, to me anyway, about the same amount of work either way. But keeping the 22" barrel and the harmonic stabilizer would be a nice bonus.

The 6mm AR is based on the 7.62x39 case if I am not mistaken, and those mags are wider too, right? There's a guy on this site that had his mini 14 reworked to make it a 7.62x39.

From what I read, there are rounds that even push more out of the 6.8 case, surpassing the 6mmAR in speed. One is called the 240 Tomahawk, and it matches the 243, from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I just got an email back from the smith that did the 223-7.62x39 conversion that's on this forum, somewhere, and they said no one will cut a 6mm barrel from a .224 barrel. I was hoping to be able to keep that harmonic balancer, for accuracy, not looks.

So, no 6mm anything unless I swap barrels, so will have to re-think all this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm actually super happy with my Target after GunDoc fixed it for me. I just use it for varmints tho, so I'm happy shooting 40 gr. v-maxes.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I just have WAY too many rifles in 223 caliber. Can't shoot em all, plus the idea of a 22" barrel, spittin out a 6mm 100gr bullet at around 3000fps (from the 240 Tomahawk, not the PDK) was too good not to try.

The rifle works flawless, just boring. For varmints I have a Savage 223 in bolt actually 2 of them. Like I said too many.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought that when I got my mini-Grendel as well, but the feeding issues have made it alot less fun than it should be. Still worth it for the funny looks I get when I bust it out at a 500 yd+ range though.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought that when I got my mini-Grendel as well, but the feeding issues have made it alot less fun than it should be. Still worth it for the funny looks I get when I bust it out at a 500 yd+ range though.
I have heard several complaints about the Grendel feeding issues, but the 6mm PDK is just the 6.8 SPC necked down, and I have not heard of 6.8 feeding issues. Now the more dramatic rounds like the 240 Tomahawk might be another issue.

How does the Grendel do at the range?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
ASI will screw on a 6x45 barrel for you. But, it's pricey. I have two ASI converted Mini's. I did them several years ago when the prices were better. They both shoot good but I wish I would of had them do one of them in 6x45. Mine are both .223. I would recomend the .750 barrel and gas block in 18.5 inches. The one inch barrels are really heavy. 18 inch barrels seem to be the norm with 6x45 in the AR uppers. ASI will put on a flash hider if you want and they do a target crown with nice sharp edges. kwg

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have heard several complaints about the Grendel feeding issues, but the 6mm PDK is just the 6.8 SPC necked down, and I have not heard of 6.8 feeding issues. Now the more dramatic rounds like the 240 Tomahawk might be another issue.

How does the Grendel do at the range?
Eh, it's about a minute and a half to two minutes probably. 24" barrel from ASI. My AR outshoots it by a good bit. I'd sell it in a heartbeat except for the fact I'd lose at least half my money.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eh, it's about a minute and a half to two minutes probably. 24" barrel from ASI. My AR outshoots it by a good bit. I'd sell it in a heartbeat except for the fact I'd lose at least half my money.
Wow, that's not impressive, for the money spent. I'm glad I'm not the only one that loses money on guns.

I just sold off my AR lower. I bought it thinking I might warm back up to them and build one, nope! They are a very versatile gun, as far as swapping uppers etc, but I just cannot warm up to them. Lost that "warm fuzzy feeling" in basic training in '72. It never came back.

I did like the M14 I carried, and I could have had one, but was talked into a Mini Target instead, if you can believe it. That's what I mean by losing money.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, I bought that P.O.S. Target as well. :(
Ended up having GunDoc cut it down to 18" and restock and bed it properly. Shoots alot better now, but it'll never be an MOA gun. It's minute of varmint though at least, and alot better handling now, but it was definitely good money after bad. Looks just like a 10/22 Target now however, which is helpful here in California when going to the range since no one gives it a second look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts