Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a very unfortunate experience with a Saiga in 7.62x39 mm <_< , I've decided I need to look elsewhere for a decent hunting rifle.

All I need from a rifle is this:

Inexpensive. Anything under $600 dollars works fine :D . $700, I'm pushing it but I think I could swing it with enough overtime.

Reliable. I'm in the hunt (no pun intended) for a new hunting rifle because my last rifle, an old M1 Garand, had a very unfortunate explosion :( . Maybe it was the handloads (but the hundereds before the last one worked fine), or maybe it was 60+ years it had been on this earth, but its gone.

Accurate. :sniper: If it can't get at least 2 inch groups at 200 yards its not a real rifle to me. Thats why the Saiga will be gone. I couldn't, for the life of me (and all the rests, scopes, and other methods) get 2 MOA at 100 yards!

NO PISTOL GRIP. I live in an area where military-style rifles are frowned upon by hunters. I don't know why, but my cousin Derrick said he felt "like a communist at the stock exchange" when he came up here with his AR-15.

Can a Mini-14 do the above? I know they do not normally come with a pistol-grip, hence why they are more attractive right now. But the price and accuracy are unknown to me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, what are you hunting for starters?
Second, 2" groups with a Mini 14 will require more than $600. Either mods or Mini target, either way more than $600.

Heck even a bolt action shooting 2" at 200 yards is gonna cost more than $600 I would think. Also, if you are shooting 200yards and need 2" groups I am assuming you are shooting varmints, cause I wouldn't dare try the .223 at 200 on a deer. Not saying it couldn't be done, but as a hunting guide I would say it was irresponsible so I am going to assume you are shooting varmints. That being said I woud suggest one of thos NEF single shots with a heavy barrel and a VERY good scope. That would be doable for $600. Just my opinion though.

I love my Mini and I can hit at 200 just fine but not 2" consistently yet. It will take more money. LOL

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, what are you hunting for starters?
Second, 2" groups with a Mini 14 will require more than $600. Either mods or Mini target, either way more than $600.

Heck even a bolt action shooting 2" at 200 yards is gonna cost more than $600 I would think. Also, if you are shooting 200yards and need 2" groups I am assuming you are shooting varmints, cause I wouldn't dare try the .223 at 200 on a deer. Not saying it couldn't be done, but as a hunting guide I would say it was irresponsible so I am going to assume you are shooting varmints. That being said I woud suggest one of thos NEF single shots with a heavy barrel and a VERY good scope. That would be doable for $600. Just my opinion though.

I love my Mini and I can hit at 200 just fine but not 2" consistently yet. It will take more money. LOL
I'm actually hunting white-tail deer. The reason for the accuracy: lots of brush on the property I hunt. I used to make some pretty wild shots with my Garand, usually I do not have much of an opening. I bought the Saiga because they said its 154 grain cartridge would go through just about anything, so it seemed like an even trade (accuracy for power that is).

How much does Mini-14 in 6.8 SPC run for? $500? $600? What WOULD I have to add onto it to bring its accuracy to 2 inches at 200 yards?

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
Making Minis shoot straight is an iffy job with no predictable budget. The N.E.F. was good advice just get a stock sock to carry ammo on the gun. Mine will shoot circles around my mini.

·
Registered
817 Posts
What went wrong with your Saiga?

IMO, a Saiga can do everything a Mini-30 can do...except look like a more PC rifle.

Seriously, a Saiga is as reliable as a Mini, cheaper, as accurate and 100% reliable mags are waaaaay cheaper and easy to find.

If you really want a Mini, get a Mini (I have a couple - I like 'em), but I wouldn't write off all Saigas too quickly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What went wrong with your Saiga?

IMO, a Saiga can do everything a Mini-30 can do...except look like a more PC rifle.

Seriously, a Saiga is as reliable as a Mini, cheaper, as accurate and 100% reliable mags are waaaaay cheaper and easy to find.

If you really want a Mini, get a Mini (I have a couple - I like 'em), but I wouldn't write off all Saigas too quickly.
It can't hit 2 MOA at 100 yards. For anything. I've set it on multiple rests, tried different scopes, went from Wolf all the way to Remington ammo. Saiga's can't hit a target to save the guy who put it together's life. The Mini-14 looks like it should be more accurate, but going around here, I don't know.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm actually hunting white-tail deer. The reason for the accuracy: lots of brush on the property I hunt. I used to make some pretty wild shots with my Garand, usually I do not have much of an opening. I bought the Saiga because they said its 154 grain cartridge would go through just about anything, so it seemed like an even trade (accuracy for power that is).

How much does Mini-14 in 6.8 SPC run for? $500? $600? What WOULD I have to add onto it to bring its accuracy to 2 inches at 200 yards?
Now I am confused. If you ususally don't have much of an opening why would you need 2 moa at 200 yards? You are aware that the average .223 bullet is 55gr aren't you? Not much of a brush gun. If you want to hunt thick cover like that go big. I used to use a Ruger No.3 in 45-70 for my brush gun. Kicked like a mule but would kill a buck standing behind a 1 foot thick mesquite tree. No deflection. I don't think the Mini will do it unless you go to a Mini 30 and then you are back to the accuracy problem. Personally I wouldn't use the .223 for deer in the brush. I will use mine for head shots when thinning the doe herd. Get to do that this week, we need to take out 40.

You can get a mini around $600
Trigger job 70
Muzzle break 30
AccuStrut or Har bar ???? 150
Bedding
Change bushings
Torque and gap gas block
Or adjustable gas block 90
Buffers
Cryo treatment

What did I leave out guys, it's early.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It can't hit 2 MOA at 100 yards. For anything. I've set it on multiple rests, tried different scopes, went from Wolf all the way to Remington ammo. Saiga's can't hit a target to save the guy who put it together's life. The Mini-14 looks like it should be more accurate, but going around here, I don't know.

:eek:
Holy cow, are you serious? A 154 gr bullet in a 7.62x39 WON'T go through "anything" and maintain accuracy anywhere close to 10 MOA! AND if you want to or are capable of shooting 2 MOA in the field without benches, rests, etc at 200yds. you shouldn't need a semi, one shot will kill a deer, antelope or an elk if you can put your shot into 6 inches accurately. At 200 yards a .223 is NOT a reliable, reasonable or sporting caliber on large game. Buy a 7mm,.308 or 30-06 bolt action and use the mini for fun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To get accuracy like that from an autolaoder, you will have to spend some BIG BUCKS on a custom mini or a custom AR. I dont know many auto rifles that can shoot that accurately. Maybe a a really long barrel benchrest chromemoly HBAR national match AR. Maybe get a JP rifle (2k and up price range) for something like that. And jp rifles are not really stock in my books.

you will need a bolt action for that kind of accuracy.... or the price tag will kill you.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Youre best bet in a inexpensive autoloader, would be a used 742 woodsmaster or a new 7400 remington. Both are reliable, and accurate enough for whitetails. If i was wanting a inexpensive brushgun, look around for a sporterized .303 enfield.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pretty much nothing you can fire from the shoulder will reliably "bust brush." DiN_BLIX's suggestion of a Rem 742 is actually pretty good, and this from a died-in-the-wool Ruger fanboy.

Having said that, a Mini-30 would be a better idea in my humble opinion. I have been led to understand that the 130-ish grain .30 is a better idea for harvesting a deer than the .22 cal 5.56. Don't a number of states require something with more oomph than the .223 Remington? Too bad you can't go AR, because a .300 BLK or 6.8 might fit in the budget with some careful shopping and selecting. Come to think of it, there is a Mini in .300 BLK; I should know, I have one.

If you can get off the semiauto track, a Ruger American in .308 or .30-'06 will meet both your accuracy and budgetary requirements.

Best,

Walt

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Hammerhead your expectations are way too high for what you want to spend. 2 inches at 200 yards is a lot to ask for especially with a Mini. I highly recommend a bolt action gun in at least .243 caliber (51 mm length case) or higher. If you are trying to beat the $600 mark you need to look at a Remington ADL, Savage Axis or a Howa and spend the difference on a good scope. Deer hunting with a 5.56 is out of the question in most Sates if you want to be legal. If you are 5" at 200 with your Saiga, keep it if all you want to do is deer hunt. In many States we have to use Shotguns. Be thankful you can use a centerfire rifle.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, since the OP hasn't been around here in over seven years, we can hope he found the deer hunting rifle he was seeking.

From his several original posts on this thread, I'm skeptical about a lot of what he said. 'Blowing up' his M1 was the first. A properly maintained and fed M1 doesn't just have an "unfortunate explosion".

For most deer hunters, a .24 to .30 caliber bolt action rifle with a decent scope of moderate power should easily bring home the venison.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's what I get for not checking the date. The thread popped up on the e-mail digest; I thought it was interesting.

Oh, and it's "Walt," OK?

Now, why did an old thread be on an e-mail list of "new" threads...?

Best,

Walt

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
This was a thread that Alloutdoor posted in their mini 14 article, all the links in the article are older threads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts