Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I ran into an unknown today and I need some help... I picked up my 580 series mini 14 used a few months back. I finally got around to ordering a flash hider, and ordered a Choate from Brownell's. I went to install it today, and realized I have an early 580 series with the thin barrel (9/16"). I will now have to return the flash hider since it is bored out to fit a 5/8" barrel. Is there another flash hider that will work with the thinner barrel 580 series, or would it be more beneficial for accuracy if I would cut and thread the barrel? The factory sight is pictured below.

If cutting and threading the barrel, is there sight that could be installed that would allow the use of the factory rear sight? Or would the factory front be able to be reinstalled?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Or take it to a gunsmith, have to front sight moved back a bit and the barrel threaded for an AR brake/flash hider.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking into that choate one, the one for earlier serials and thin barrels. I'm gonna try to exchange the one I have through Brownell's. if all else fails, I'll have it threaded and probably cut to 16 1/2" at the same time.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I am looking into that choate one, the one for earlier serials and thin barrels. I'm gonna try to exchange the one I have through Brownell's. if all else fails, I'll have it threaded and probably cut to 16 1/2" at the same time.

Thanks
The pre-580 Choate FH will have the roll pin slot in the wrong place, IIRC. You can always give it a try and/or take it to a 'smith and have him drill a new hole in the FH.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts