Perfect Union banner

Thermolds Are Back!!!!

4K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  BamaJoe 
#1 ·
Thermold magazines are being produced again!!!!:D

These are one of the few aftermarkets that are as reliable as factory mags. These are the real deal. They are also producing Mini 30 mags.

Check it out:

http://www.thermoldproducts.com/products.html

#4 ·
Hopefully, this is true.

Hopefully, a new company has been formed that will use the same molds as the known reliable Thermold mags of the past. And produce the exact same...or improved...product.

I would proceed slowly and order 1 or 2 to test and confirm that the new Thermolds are...in fact...as reliable as the old Thermolds.

Not to be a wet blanket, but, companies put out PR stuff all the time. Not always accurate though.

ProMag was supposed to be the magazine 'saviour' for the Mini's, but, that has not turned out to be exactly what was hoped for.

I would confirm the fit and function of the 'new' Thermold line before I got too excited.

YMMV

#6 ·
...I would proceed slowly and order 1 or 2 to test and confirm that the new Thermolds are...in fact...as reliable as the old Thermolds...
FWIW, their new AK mags seem to be as good as the originals (my son has 4). A good sign, but not a guarantee.

Email sent...I asked specifically about distribution and where I can buy some...so we'll see.
Byrdman
I hope you have better luck getting a reply from them than I did.

#5 ·
Email sent...I asked specifically about distribution and where I can buy some...so we'll see.

I'm pretty excited about getting some for my Mini, as the plastic 30s I got from ProMag were MORE than a little disappointing. Love the 10s, but the 30s are junk.

As I have access to just about everything they make mags for, I'm more than a little interested...

Byrdman

#8 ·
I contacted Mr. Hamilton at Thermold's new location (new owner) and was informed that M30 mags and synthetic stripper clips will be on the market 40-60 days. seemed certain of this and said Elliot Bros., Midway, Natchez likely will retail them. at 50$ a whack they better be good. the 20 rounders will be cheaper.

#22 · (Edited)
Email sent.

I hope someone makes some good 30 plus round mags for the Mini30 before long.

I actually have two of these expandable Thermolds. One is stored, the other I am still trying to shave it down so it will fit/feed. It seems to be a strong mag, if only I can get it to work well.

#19 ·
Thanks for the email address! Here's my note:

Good to hear the news.

Here's a pile of gold for you……NO CHARGE!

Make the Ruger Mini30 20 and 30 round magazines first.

A reliable magazine for the Mini 30 is almost NON-EXISTANT!

You're going to sell every one you make!!!

I want 10 each 20 rounders ……enough to last thru the next Democratic White House invasion!!! :D (kidding!)

Thanks Guys, good to hear you're back!

Wil

#20 ·
Another source of magazines for the Mini is never a bad thing. The thing I do wonder about though is how well they will work? Now I've never used a Thermold magazine but I have heard stories about how in Canada they have been refered to as "therm-melts" after a few of them were destroyed with the heat from full auto firing through the C7s. I'd like to get quite a few but I think I'll get a couple first to see how well they work and hold up before I get large numbers.

#21 · (Edited)
I would love some 20's for my Mini-30 and some 30s for my Mini-14. 5 of each please. Is it true the Canadian Military uses Thermolds for the M-16?
FFMedic
The Canadian "Thermolds" were not made by the Thermold company, but were made on Thermold made molds in Canada.

The problem is the Canadians went cheap on the plastic they used, resulting in the melting issues.

Original U.S. made Thermolds used a much higher grade material (Zytel), and didn't suffer the same issues as the Canadian mags.

It remains to be seen what materials the new Thermold company uses (hopefully the same Zytel), and how well they'll hold up.

#23 ·
Some plastic mags are intentionally made slightly oversized.

I have found it best to pull back the charging handles and let the bolt fly home numerous times to 'shave' the excess off the mag lips.

This results in a 'custom' fit.

I have seen this situation with an M1A Thermold as well as some Israeli Orlites for the Galil.

#26 ·
Very good news, but seeing is believing

The 40-60 days time frame does make this possibility sound a bit more likely to materialize. This would be particularly welcome for Mini 30 owners (Ruger should help underwrite this venture since Mini 30 sales would surely pick up).

Though PMI mags have still been available from online businesses long after production ceased, I have yet to see any Thermolds for sale from online businesses. I've seen both types at gun shows, but the Thermolds were far more expensive, IIRC. Having heard nothing but praise for Thermolds, I'd try at least one, but $50?? That better include shipping.:lol:

#32 ·
I will be getting at least one and probably two of the Mini-30 large mags if/when I can get them. I have decided that the two I have are pretty good, and I want a couple spare to last after the next ban.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.