Perfect Union banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
ive got 2 yugos that were sold as truly unissued, and i believe it. these things look brand new. they still have the pencil marks from the armory one of them i have fired many1000s of rds. through without a hitch, the other i have never fired all i did was clean it up. incredible deals for $150 each. if those were manufactured today they would cost a bundle. or at least a heckuva lot more than 150 bucks!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I thought I'd post an interesting photo, one that compares my Chinese and Yugo SKS's with your everyday M1 Garand:

Top: Chinese Type 56/SKS

Middle: Yugo SKS

Bottom: M1 Garand

First thing that's obvious is the shorter buttstock of the Chinese SKS. I've already griped about this in a different thread, but it bears repeating: though my Norinco is a reliable piece, I haven't really shot it much, because the short buttstock makes it somewhat uncomfortable to shoot (but, as I mentioned, it's perfectly sized for my girlfriend, so the short buttstock stays). However, the Yugo SKS - designed, one supposes, for big, hairy Slavic folks - has a buttstock comparable in length to the M1 Garand. And it fits me a lot better, too.

Second thing: though the SKS is usually considered a "carbine," I was genuinely surprised to see that my new Yugo SKS is actually a tad longer than my M1 Garand. I'd never even imagined such a thing - but there it was! One of the flaws of the SKS, I suppose, was designing a rifle-sized weapon around an intermediate-sized cartridge. Of course, we all know that the Russians got it right a few years later, with the introduction of the AK-47.

Having said that, I'd hardly feel naked and helpless if the Sh*t Hit The Fan one day and all I had handy was an SKS. For the money (remember, my new Yugo cost me a mere $129) the SKS is pretty hard to beat.
thats some really nice wood on your yugo, where did you buy it at?? I bought mine from J&G and it was supposed to be excellent to like new condition but was more like excellent but not new condition all the steel is in great shape the bore is in pristine condition but the gas system was quite corroded. when I picked it up It was hard to tell the exact condition when everything was caked in cozmo. I ended up having to work on the gas system a bit (changed out the gas tube and valve) to get everything workin right hopefully havent shot it yet since I changed those parts. Mine has nice wood but not nearly as nice as yours. 129 for a gun that looks that good what a steel I have to know where you got it because I paid 159 bucks for mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You guys might not believe this, but my SKS is actually my most accurate rifle. Its a Norinco and I can outshoot my m1 garand, m1 carbine, colt ar15, k98, and all my others. It is very strange, but its dead on. I bought it brand new for 190 and it was a great buy, Im very impressed with it. A 190$ chinese rifle outshooting a $900 COLT MATCH TARGET ar15 is pretty funny.

·
Moderator and Super Member
7,547 Posts
That thing must be possessed. Be careful what you say around it. The price paid is a reflection of the economics over there. Some poor slob heroic peoples factory worker probably put it together on a particularly favorable day.

·
Registered
524 Posts
How about extending the length of the stock?

Other than using a short recoil pad, as with my Mosin, is there something even longer which can easily go on the end without any work?

Just more question:

What causes "slam-fires" with the firing pin?

·
Registered
63 Posts
sometimes cosmo will get in with the firing pin and make it ''stick''. so the firing pin may protrude out and get stuck. if it sticks, its possible when you close the bolt, the round and everything else in your magazine will go off...hasnt happened to me yet, but every time i clean my rifle i use a bit of remoil to keep that sucker moving free...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Raidisk805:
Thank you.

Gunrun45:

Good observations. The irony never ceases to amaze me. We read so often about "comblock" weapons and ammo.
There is so much praise for Mausers (invented long before WW2, as the Mosin was before the revolution) and the Sturmgewehr etc with few if any observations on the huge difference in battlefield losses because of them or the MG 34 etc, as a crude comparison.

Used Minis, SKS and MN 44 (because Mauser ammo/good rifle prices are a fair bit higher) plus really old Savage .22.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The SKS blows away any .30 carbine and the carbines are selling for some stupid high prices. I kick myself when I think I passed on them stacked like firewood for $120 a pop.
I still do not like the carbines although firing a M2 was fun. I collect SKS rifles and they are great weapons. Now if I can find a 1949 for my Russian lineup to be complete....

·
7,547 Posts
The .30 carbine is a niche filler. Not really comparable with the SKS. Besides, the 7.62x39 is a mid-level rifle round, not a pistol round like the carbine fires.

That's why I own both. ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Cal50:

I was not only ignorant but never looked at other guns when I bought my (former) brand-new AO M-1 Carbine...my first gun purchase.
The bolt broke (got stuck) after two months.

Could have bought an SKS and lots of ammo, or one of my Ruger Minis and 500-1,000 rds.

No more brand-new, (always) over-priced retail guns ever again.
My favorite store lets you test their used guns and they have lots of military rifles/styles, from WW2-recent.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
The .30 carbine is a niche filler. Not really comparable with the SKS. Besides, the 7.62x39 is a mid-level rifle round, not a pistol round like the carbine fires.

That's why I own both. ;)
Would it not have made more sense for them to have made the M1 carbine in .357mag instead?

·
7,547 Posts
For a while, one was. Universal made theirs in .256 Winchester Magnum, based on a necked-down .357 case. I suppose it never was able to buck all the cheaper carbine ammo around at the time. Same went for the .22 Johnson. I don't think any other caliber ever made a dent on the original chambering.

Oh, originally you mean? I suppose for an autoloader, a straight-walled case was felt to be more reliable, which they are. No rims to get jumbled up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another plus is that the 30 carbine has a muzzle velocity a little over 1900 fps. where as the .357 with similar weight bullets is only 1400 fps. A more affective bullet design would help the carbine out allot like a semi-flat nose bullet design. When I had one it was a great little rifle a new Universal it was a great shooter to with my reloads it loved the Sierra .308 110 Gr. LN Pro Hunter If I only knew then what I know now makes me sick to think I let that rifle go. It was predrilled and taped for a weaver side mount which I had and a 4x scope flash hider extra magazines original GI sling and oiler.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have to agree that the SKS is a great recreational rifle. Bought mine for $89 when I got back from Army basic training in 1992. Put hundreds of rounds through it since then and it still functions perfectly.

I have the Norinco short-barrel version (I guess some people call it the airborne or para version) and I can hit pop cans at up to 100 yards over the original factory sights. I haven't added any accessories to it because I enjoy shooting it so much using just the original furniture.

And with ammo prices these days, my 10/22 and SKS are nearly all I can afford to shoot!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts