Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the money the SKS is one of the greatest rifles you can buy.

Some have chrome lined bores

The caliber is decent powerwise but not excessive

Ammo was cheap and is still not too bad in comparison to most.

It has a strong milled receiver and gas action that takes a lickin and keeps on shootin.

It is easy to disassemble for cleaning

Fairly accurate, not a tack driver but definately minute of deer at 100 yards.

Fun to shoot with many accessories.

Inexpensive

Just sharing
My opinion it is not the gun's fault it was made by communists. It is a tool. It is the shooter's decision wether or not its use is good or evil.

Kid Couteau (owner of 4 SKS rifles)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Ah, my SKS. The ugly duckling of my firearms collection. My SKS rifle is:

Handy and compact.

Shoots a bullet that will actually kill someone.

Can be used for close-range deer hunting if I get the chance and don't have my "real" deer rifle.

HAS NEVER JAMMED ON ME, NOT EVEN ONCE with its factory 10 round magazine and stripper clips - which is by far enough ammo for a trained marksman IMO. OK, I had a couple of failures to fire but that was with Wolf. Never with Winchester or anything remotely decent.

Is simple to field strip and you can find spare parts at almost any gunshow - heck buy a spare SKS if you are worried that some parts may fail.

My Norinco cost me $175. Yep, I've spent a little cash on it since then, but really the only modification I can justify are Tech sights … they rock and never will break or run out of batteries.

Is legal almost everywhere, even in Californiastan!

Has very little recoil and is fun to shoot.

Will I sell off the AR? Heck no! But I love the SKS and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

5L

G

·
I own a Mini-14 and an SKS. (along with a sh*t-load of other guns...)

If I only had time to grab one of those two and head for the hills, it'd be the SKS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I own a Norinco and Yugo SKS as well as a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. All 3 are 100% reliable. I spent less buying 2-SKSs, then I paid for the Ruger,but the Ruger was brand new.not surplus.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
There is one "evil feature" about the sinister SKS...they follow you home and sneak into your gun safe late at night. When you wake up in the morning they have sent telepathic messages to your wife in the middle of the night and she imediately finds them inthe morning, ruining your excues that you are really saving money and that you didn't really buy 4 of them the last time AIM had they in stock!!
That being said...my wife is a truely understanding woman. Its a good thing I invested in a quality couch!!

Its a good thing that nobody buys those japanese cars either because they bombed us in WWII, or those German cars for the same reason. Good thing none of us eat Italian foods either!! Dam Italian sportscars are the bane of my existance too!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The SKS is an excellent rifle for the money. Presently the Yugos are selling inexpensively for about $120 and up and they're well made.

The SKS is a reliable rifle (don't know about commercial ChiCom copies) but the Yugo and Russian ones are very reliable as are the military Chinese rifles. Where else can you get that kind of rifle for the money? In states which permit rifle hunting the SKS can be used to hunt deer and the 7.62x39 round is ballistically similar to the .30-30 Winchester. A good way to mess up an SKS is to add an aftermarket magazine to it, I have yet to see one which works right or have to be tweaked to work reliably. Anyone with stripper clips can load an SKS quickly using them as fast as a magazine change and you don't need to spend money on magazines for it. The only exception is the Chinese SKS rifle which takes AK magazines which are inexpensive and rugged.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
uzitiger said:
don't know about commercial ChiCom copies
If you live in the U.S., you've probably never seen a Chinese SKS specifically manufactured for the commercial market. The paratroopers and M and D models are all conversions from Chinese manufactured SKS's originally intended for military use. Many, if not most, of these never saw any military use (or any use at all) before being exported to the U.S.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I own a yugo sks, as well as a yugo ak. These two rifles have more range time than any of my other rifles including both my mini-14's. I think they're tons of fun to shoot and easy to field strip and clean. Plus ammo is still cheap enough for me to buy in bulk. I shoot a lot of that Monarch brand Academy Sports carries. About 78.00 per case (with tax), or 2.99 per box of 20 rounds. All other local gun shops around here average about 4-5.00 per box of 20 rounds in other brands such as Wolf, Wolf Classic, Federal, etc. Does anyone out there know anything about Monarch? I pretty sure its made in Russia but I could be wrong. Anyway Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

·
Moderator and Super Member
7,547 Posts
Sold my Chicom SKS for twice what I paid for it to buy a Russian. Fit and finish on the Russki is virtually commercial level. I'd buy another in a second. They sure cry out for a rear-mounted peep though.

·
7,547 Posts
I'm real enamored of those Techsights for SKS and 10-22, but I already laid in ammo since milsurp is drying up and Christmas is drawing near, so I have to lay low until February. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I thought I'd post an interesting photo, one that compares my Chinese and Yugo SKS's with your everyday M1 Garand:

Top: Chinese Type 56/SKS

Middle: Yugo SKS

Bottom: M1 Garand

First thing that's obvious is the shorter buttstock of the Chinese SKS. I've already griped about this in a different thread, but it bears repeating: though my Norinco is a reliable piece, I haven't really shot it much, because the short buttstock makes it somewhat uncomfortable to shoot (but, as I mentioned, it's perfectly sized for my girlfriend, so the short buttstock stays). However, the Yugo SKS - designed, one supposes, for big, hairy Slavic folks - has a buttstock comparable in length to the M1 Garand. And it fits me a lot better, too.

Second thing: though the SKS is usually considered a "carbine," I was genuinely surprised to see that my new Yugo SKS is actually a tad longer than my M1 Garand. I'd never even imagined such a thing - but there it was! One of the flaws of the SKS, I suppose, was designing a rifle-sized weapon around an intermediate-sized cartridge. Of course, we all know that the Russians got it right a few years later, with the introduction of the AK-47.

Having said that, I'd hardly feel naked and helpless if the Sh*t Hit The Fan one day and all I had handy was an SKS. For the money (remember, my new Yugo cost me a mere $129) the SKS is pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Arizona Mikey said:
I thought I'd post an interesting photo, one that compares my Chinese and Yugo SKS's with your everyday M1 Garand:

Top: Chinese Type 56/SKS

Middle: Yugo SKS

Bottom: M1 Garand

First thing that's obvious is the shorter buttstock of the Chinese SKS. I've already griped about this in a different thread, but it bears repeating: though my Norinco is a reliable piece, I haven't really shot it much, because the short buttstock makes it somewhat uncomfortable to shoot (but, as I mentioned, it's perfectly sized for my girlfriend, so the short buttstock stays). However, the Yugo SKS - designed, one supposes, for big, hairy Slavic folks - has a buttstock comparable in length to the M1 Garand. And it fits me a lot better, too.

Second thing: though the SKS is usually considered a "carbine," I was genuinely surprised to see that my new Yugo SKS is actually a tad longer than my M1 Garand. I'd never even imagined such a thing - but there it was! One of the flaws of the SKS, I suppose, was designing a rifle-sized weapon around an intermediate-sized cartridge. Of course, we all know that the Russians got it right a few years later, with the introduction of the AK-47.

Having said that, I'd hardly feel naked and helpless if the Sh*t Hit The Fan one day and all I had handy was an SKS. For the money (remember, my new Yugo cost me a mere $129) the SKS is pretty hard to beat.
You forgot that they're all clip fed

·
Registered
152 Posts
markw76 said:
I'm real enamored of those Techsights for SKS and 10-22, but I already laid in ammo since milsurp is drying up and Christmas is drawing near, so I have to lay low until February. ;)
I also installed Techsights on my SKS but haven't tried them out yet. They increase the sight radius and I prefer peep sights to open sights especially as I age and my eyesight weakens (from many years of computer usge).

·
Registered
266 Posts
i agree i dont regret bying my sks a single bit. i have thought and looked at sevral difrent sights but maybe im just odd but i rather like and fairly good with the stock military sights

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Nice looking SKSs guys.

Remember, pictures go in the GALLERY.

Thanks!

·
7,547 Posts
Post it in the Gallery and link to it just like it was a different website. Works the same.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's a nice SKS-D you have Powerkicker. I wouldn't mind adding one of those to my collection. I like the ability to take AK magazines in an SKS.

I added the Tech sights to mine but haven't tried it out on the range yet but I it feels easier to aim with the aperture.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts