Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm going to take crap for this but I sure that some of you can back me up on this. There's a lot of people that bash Remingtons, Winchesters, Savages, Tikkas and every other guns that are made because we all have our own likes and dislikes. But there is one thing that I have found out painfully.

If you like Savage guns Model 10s, 110s, 14 etc, etc... buy them for a lifetime or buy them used. Yes you will be able to sell a Savage Varmint/Tactical gun without too much problem but if you buy a sporting model and you want or need to sell it be prepared to take a hit unlike any other rifle.

This has happened to me three times now and any Savage gun that I buy from here on in is going to be one that I want to take to my grave and yes I just bought another one, a Model 210 Slug Warrior because there are a couple of areas that i shoot that aer shotgun only and it fits the bill perfectly. Or I'll buy used and let some other schmuck take the hit.

Currently, I have a Model 14 Classic in 308 in near perfect condition, it's listed on GunsAmerica.com for $450.00 having spent over $650.00 for the thing and it won't move! If that was a Remington 700 BDL it would have been gone in less than a week.:blink:

Now mind you I like Savages but my God the resale on them ... well ... frankly stinks! :wacko:

LET THE HATE MAIL BEGIN!

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
No hate mail from me. Savage rifles have terrible resale. They are accurate rifles but are not Remington's or Winchesters. Buy them used.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No hate mail from me. Savage rifles have terrible resale. They are accurate rifles but are not Remington's or Winchesters. Buy them used.
Can I hear an AMEN?

·
Registered
980 Posts
WHOLE Savage rifles have bad resale. If you strip the gun it to pieces and post it on the Savage forum, you will do just fine.

All kidding aside though, most people ask too much, and pay too much for used guns. To use your rifle as an example. Say you listed it for $600 used when it was $650 new. For $50 more, I would rather buy new. I know a new gun has not been abused, has a warranty, etc. This is true weather it is a Savage, Weatherby, Remington, or any other.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The point about asking too much is valid. Some people are freaking unreasonable but $450. for a 99.9% Model 14 Classic ain't exactly unreasonable.

DV - most are good shooters but I have never taken dumps on guns except Savages. Sh!t I usually make a few bucks. And I really don't feel like Salvaging guns to unload them.

G

·
Savage

I have a 2002 blue book and the prices are114u classic MSR $532. 100%=465.
I thing you can change barrels yourself.so it seems like great rifle for some one hunting varmits and deer and elk.change from 223 to 30/06 to 458 .

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
I AGREE!. This is not an attempt to sell. the details are only to give you guys an idea of what the original posters talking about. no offers, not that ill get any, will be accepted.

heres my NEW savage 110 FCP-k in 300 winmag with a Millett LRS-1 6-25x56 scope. Ive converted the bolt to a smaller tactical bolt knob since i took this photo.

The stock is a custom, 1 off from stockade stocks"Epoxy Gel Coat surrounds an unidirectional hand laid fiberglass and carbon graphite cloth that is impregnated with the most modern epoxy resins. An internal aluminum skeleton, with pillars and recoil block, is added for additional rigidity. All internal parts are surrounded by a super high density foam, plus a second coat of high grade epoxy surface gel coat for abrasion resistance. The stock is then painted with industrial marine grade chemical and weather resistant epoxy paint". they also shimmed the mounts and mounted the rail.
I had to ship the barreled action to them because the new rifles dont have the same bolt spacing as last years models. Its got a harris bipod. Whats the point of all of this. I CANNOT SELL THIS GUN LOCALLY FOR $1000 and theres over $2000 into it ITS HAD 15 rounds down the pipe for sighting in and function tests.

I think that's true for many custom guns, I would hate to try to sell my Mini, cause it's MY idea of what one should be. Do believe that in general Savage sells low used, just like Chryslers, doesn't mean they are bad but it is a fact. Also trying to sell your scope with it never seems to work, once again because it's your (or my) idea of the best scope.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't care if savages sell low because I never plan on selling mine. It got me my first deer yesterday:D.

·
Registered
980 Posts
To add to this again, there is just one other issue. Just because you put $2000 in to the gun, does not make it worth $2000. It is used, 15 rounds, or not. Or so you say, anyway..... See the problem.
I hate to say it, because it sounds crappy, but I can build that gun for much less than $2000, and anyone willing to spend $2000 on a gun knows they can build it for less also. Sorry, but it is what it is.
Now to make you feel a little better...... Though I do like the mini 14, any person who pays a dime more than $400 for a used one has been dropped on their head. The ONLY thing it has on any other .223 out there is reliability. Buying one used is a great gamble too, as many minis are taken to the range to be not treated in the nicest fashion. Not all of them, but many, a good many.
See, there are flaws in both these guns when it comes to resale. There are issues like this with most used guns. Most guns do not appreciate in value. And lastly, you have to think like the buyer when you are selling. When someone is selling a used gun the first thing I look at is the price. Why? Because if you are asking 90% of the cost of new, I would rather pay 10% more for new. For one I KNOW the history of. For one the factory will have no problem fixing if there is something wrong, etc. etc. This applies to ALL brands of firearms.

I was not trying to specifically flame any one person's gun here. Just use current examples to try and explain my, and many other people's opinion.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Remington and Browning shotguns and rifles have the highest resale value , i was looking at a Browning bolt action it was used and it was more then a brand new rifle! soem custom made Weatherby and Browning guns have great resale value .

i have a Savage .22lr semi-auto i only paid 120.00 for it brand new at Walmart i have it for 4 years now i guess i will keep it cu zi sold a couple of my rifles and i didnt get much for them either.

so keep what you buy , only sell for an emergency.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Never ever ever customise anything you intend to resale. That goes for a truck a cb radio or a gun. I think any budget priced firearm suffers on the resale. For example I have never paid more the $175 for a remington 870. I just saw one at wally world for almost $400.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Apparenly you didnt read my post. i tried to sell it for half of whats put in it. Ive sold FN's Remingtons and winchesters for way closer to what they were bought for. The original post was saying savages are a tough resale and hes right....period. I can build a gun for less then $2000 as well
I did read the origional post, and the point of my reply was that the value of something does not necessarily depend on how much was put in to it. I don't care if you put $40K in to a 1978 Chevy Malibu. It is still a 78 Malibu, it always was a nothing car, and always will be.

I think you failed to read my post fully, where the point was regardless of what you spent on the rifle, It can be built for about 60% ($1200) of that. So, when you are trying to sell for %50 ($1000) of investment, you are asking too much. See, total investment cannot dictate resale value.

I do think that the amount that NJCOP is asking for his model 14 to be a good deal. But, with the state of the economy people are not buying much. When you couple that with the current governmental status, turn bolts are not the #1 gun in sales.

For anyone here that has sold a gun for more than they paid, congrats. You either got a killer deal, or your buyer was an idiot. Oh, and people pay way too much for used Brownings and Remingtons.

Lastly, this applies to selling over the internet. $450 is a good price, but not when you expect the buyer to cover all shipping/transfer costs. If you can find an FFL to transfer for $25, it is not too bad, but lets add it up. $25 for my FFL, $25 for yours, and an average of $20 shipping. $65. Now that gun is $515 for me to pay. All I have to say is it better be in darn perfect shape, or $515 is pushing it. BTW, there is only ONE FFL in my area that does transfers for less than $50. Now add that up.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
"Most guns do not appreciate in value."

Der Verge, I would argue that point with you, but you have to keep them, and in good condition for a very long time. Case in point, do you think I would have a hard time getting my $200 dollars back for my 1973 High Power on the left?

·
Registered
244 Posts
When it comes to resale on savages or new sales for that matter. I think to the uninformed shooting public they are "cheap" guns, and cheap guns can't shoot good right?? But put a 10fp in the hands of a person who has shot remmy's ( that he has had to spend big $$ on) and I think you might change some minds. Savage's are great guns for a fair price!! I feel they have been given a bad rap. Just my plug nickels worth.

·
Registered
980 Posts
"Most guns do not appreciate in value."

Der Verge, I would argue that point with you, but you have to keep them, and in good condition for a very long time. Case in point, do you think I would have a hard time getting my $200 dollars back for my 1973 High Power on the left?
Well, there is a difference in what a gun will fetch if it is 2 years old, or 20. That $200 hi power is quite nice, but when new, $200 was a lot more money than it is now a days.

And just for the record, before I am just labled as a Savage hater, then ignored. Savage rifles are my favorite. I own 4 rifles. A Browning Hi power Safari grade 7mm, a Knight MK-85 BP, a Stevens 200 (cheapo Savage) in .223AI, and a Savage 16 in .22-250AI.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Well, there is a difference in what a gun will fetch if it is 2 years old, or 20. That $200 hi power is quite nice, but when new, $200 was a lot more money than it is now a days.
Good point. They keep talking about record gold prices (above $1000/oz.), but adjusted for inflation, gold would have to be at over $2000/oz. just to match the late-70's prices.

a Stevens 200 (cheapo Savage) in .223AI, and a Savage 16 in .22-250AI.
What's the "AI" mean? I've never heard of it before.

G

·
savage

the rifles dont sell used well because of snob appeal.you buy REM that are dangerouse,but stick your nose up at savage.I dont sell what I have I keep it because I am sure of what I buy.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts