Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this 3 years ago, mainly for the left hand barreled action. I knew the stock and trigger would have to be upgraded. It did shoot pretty good out of the box. I tossed the cheap stock and got a H-S Precision Sendero in O.D. Green spiderweb. The factory X-mark trigger had a good let-off, but would only go down to 4 3/4 lbs., so I put in a Timney that is set at 2 lbs. Scope is a Nikon M308 4-16 x40mm. The elevation turret is calibrated for the 168 gr. match bullet @ 2600 fps., and the reticle has BDC circles out to 800 yards. I used a DNZ mount.
Last Spring I shortened the 26" barrel to 21 inches and did a better crown.
A few months ago I ordered new bottom metal from Pacific Tool and Gauge. I sold the 10 round steel AICS pattern mag (and the one that came with my Ruger Gunsite) and found the new Magpul 7.62 bolt mags will work in both guns. They are half the price of the steel mags, and as they are doublestack, don't stick down as far. They are lighter, quieter, easier to load, and less likely to have the feed lips damaged.
Last week I finally got around to Cerakoting the barreled action in a Coyote Tan. Next time I start up doing Cerakote again ( probably next spring as I spray the Cerakote in my garage) I will coat the scope in air dry Coyote Cerakote, and finish the bolt, magazines scope mount and bipod in O.D. Green bake on Cerakote.
I recently tried some 155 grain Sierra Palma Match loaded with Varget powder, shot my best group with it, 5 shots @ 100 yards went 3/8".

·
Banned
4,076 Posts
Like what you have done sandog. I started with the 700 Milspec and have also found it to perform well at the 1000 Yard F-Class Line with SMK 175's propelled by either Alliant 15 or Vihtavuori 550. Added Badger Ordnance Hardware, Eagle Butt Stock Pack, Harris Bi-pod, mounted a Steiner 5-25 MSR, Uncle Mikes 1 1/4 detachable sling swivels, and Turner Biothane Sling.

Basic rifle can be had at Shooters of Jacksonville usually for less than 1K.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to try the 175 SMK's and Vit 550. My 700 has the slower 1-12"twist, so I haven't tried any heavier than 168's. But they would probably be fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Sandog,
Let me say, I'm 74 and have owned guns since I was 14. I have owned from .22 LR to .375 H&H. I have always considered my rifles as beautiful, with nice checkering that takes real talent. Now it seems you younger fellas all want plastic stocks. What is so dern wonderful about a piece of plastic with formed or pressed checkering? My beautiful stocks have nice figure in the wood, with beautiful finishes. Now you buy your rifle and quickly throw away your factory trash stock for another piece of high priced plastic! I just don't understand. Now it is almost impossible to buy a beautiful rifle! Please Sir, explain it to me! I've heard some say, "my plastic won't mess up"! Well, I've hunted in rain and snow and NEVER had a problem! I take good care of my stocks. Sandog, I'm NOT trying to be a jerk, I just don't understand! Have a blessed week!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not that young, ten years behind you.
My nice wood and steel rifles have always outnumbered the synthetic stocked ones by at least 10 to 1, probably even more.
I like everything, from longbows and recurves to traditional muzzle loaders like the Hawken style.

The .308 that I discussed in the thread opener wasn't meant to be a once ot twice a year pretty deer rifle.
I wanted to try things to get a very accurate .308, and I achieved that.
I have used it to fire 5 shot 100 yard groups that were .250" center to center with a couple good loads.
And I've used it for a bunch of long range paper and steel targets these last few years.
It turned out better than I had hoped. I didn't see a pic of that .308 above so I just added one.

I bought it for the Remington action and the bull barrel. I knew the factory stock was a limp noodle, and the one I replaced it with was just what I wanted.
I see places where a synthetic stock has advantages, and I'm sure the military and competition and many Varmint shooters will agree. Try to have a more broad view instead of sticking only to figured wood and fine checkering !

Some of the wood stocked rifles I enjoy on a weekly basis:

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,227 Posts
Hi Sandog,
Let me say, I'm 74 and have owned guns since I was 14. I have owned from .22 LR to .375 H&H. I have always considered my rifles as beautiful, with nice checkering that takes real talent. Now it seems you younger fellas all want plastic stocks. What is so dern wonderful about a piece of plastic with formed or pressed checkering? My beautiful stocks have nice figure in the wood, with beautiful finishes. Now you buy your rifle and quickly throw away your factory trash stock for another piece of high priced plastic! I just don't understand. Now it is almost impossible to buy a beautiful rifle!
I'm also 74. Maybe it's a matter of age? I like checkered wood.

I just picked up another good one.

:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies! Have either of you guys had any problems with wooden stocks before, I certainly haven't? have an awesome weekend!

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,227 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies! Have either of you guys had any problems with wooden stocks before, I certainly haven't? have an awesome weekend!
The only problem I've had with wooden stocks is that I can't get enough of them.

:D

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,227 Posts
I agree, so why does the companies ONLY make rifles with the plastic CRAP?
I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that they can stamp them out quick and cheap and sell more of them with far greater profits.

It started with Winchester when we were in our late teens, remember?

First it was stamped parts and impressed checkering and cheaper wood.

Plastic was a natural progression.

There are high quality guns available, but the cost is very, very high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts