Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill (Mr. Admin), this is not an attempt to spam this fine board. It is simply my opinion accompanied by a suggestion.

I'm a 22 year old NRA Recruiter and FFL holder and I understand why less than 15% of all NRA members are under the age of 30. All you old geezers need to realize that the young are the future of America. If it wasn't for my father and his open mind while I was growing up, I probably wouldn't even support gun rights. I know I'll be teaching my son (almost 2 years old) to love guns and the sports associated. I am trying to make my company appeal to the younger American, but I am receiving very little help from the NRA, and almost no help from most of my distributors. If you are intrested in giving me a hand in the preservation of the second amendment for years to come, recomend my website to your children and/or grandchildren.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Vigilante, I probably qualify as one of the old geezers even though I am only in my mid-fifties. I checked your web site and the only thing that I found for the younger set was a Lord of the Rings sword set.

What would you propose to help foster a pro-gun attitude in our next generation? Do you freely dispense the NRAs Eddy Eagle pamphlets? Have you contacted the local school and daycare centers and offered free firearms awareness programs? Many of us old geezers have.

We know that the young are our future. We also may not like it any better than our parents did when we were the future. Try to remember that TODAY is your 2 year old sons 'good old days' thirty years from now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fact of the matter is: I walk into the local gun shops with my braided long hair and a Pantera shirt on, guess who's the last person asked if they need help with anything...

·
Registered
49 Posts
As a 21 year old NRA member, and about to be FFL holder, I can say, I wouldn't want you representing my generation. If you aren't old enough to relize that society will judge you by the way you look and get over it, then you probably need to start thinking. Your not a teenager anymore, and if you came into my shop looking like one, I probably wouldn't ask you what you wanted either. I'm really tired of all you guys that just won't grow up. You have to relize that if you start dressing and acting like a million dollars, then people will start respecting you as such. You fighting a loosing battle, time to get over it.

No offense intended.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Gunsmitelee - you are wise beyond your years to be sure.
As a 34 year old, I'm neither a kid nor a geezer.
This will sound cliche, but gun owenship and, more importantly, gun advocacy is very serious business and should be treated as such with respect and dignity. This is the message we need to send to the "non-gunners" who's opinion we need to sway our way.
I do not know how you live your life vigelant, but the sad truth in life is that people will judge you (initially) on how you look. If they can't get past that, it simply doesn't matter what's "inside". That will never change.
The great thing about this country is that you are free to express yourself how you see fit, and I would never tell you to change.
The way we present ourselves is like a billboard - what message do you want to send to people about who you are? What message does the way you look now send to people. Does the message you send now match the message you would like to send?
I hear you frustration, but you shouldn't be suprised.
Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I dont know what a Pantera shirt is, nor should it matter to a business owner. But I found as I got older people did take me more seriously. Thats just normal. But I would add dont stop taking the 2nd amendment message to the younger crowd. It's important to clue them into the vital importance of our firearms rights. If you understand the 2nd and present it logically, I dont think anyone can treat you with disregard. If they do, then theyre not listening. Some peoples' heads are like rocks:rolleyes:
I tend to listen to anyone if they know what their talking about, looks arent so important to me. I wouldnt ask anyone to change, but I will add that if you are really serious about being a proponent of the 2nd it really does help to "look the part"
I have spent much time and effort studying the Constitution/Bill/Fed. Papers so I can present our side with confidence. I also educate the younger crowd continually. I wouldnt usually bother with all this, but lately I have found if I dont the pc's will run us over.
Hope that helps some.
Regards, AU2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by gunsmithlee
As a 21 year old NRA member, and about to be FFL holder, I can say, I wouldn't want you representing my generation. If you aren't old enough to relize that society will judge you by the way you look and get over it, then you probably need to start thinking. Your not a teenager anymore, and if you came into my shop looking like one, I probably wouldn't ask you what you wanted either. I'm really tired of all you guys that just won't grow up. You have to relize that if you start dressing and acting like a million dollars, then people will start respecting you as such. You fighting a loosing battle, time to get over it.

No offense intended.
No offense taken.
If you judge people by the way they look, you're the one who needs to grow up. Nobody I know would do business with someone like you. Just because I dont act the way you see fit, doesn't mean that people like me don't exist and it certainly doesnt make people like me wrong. I wouldn't want anyone like you representing my generation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, I have a foot on both sides of this one. I was once a wild-and-crazy rock-'n-roller (and truth be told, I still am, tho it is now getting "too loud", which any rock-'n-roller will tell you is the absolute sign that you are too old). I remember this guy who had a BITCHIN' mohawk and tats I saw at several gun shows locally, and I was surprised at the bile and bitterness spewed at him just out of his earshot by several of the "clean-cut" crowd (not to hack at them, as I'm now pretty clean-cut myself). One of them even went so far as to comment that he would never be the president of a bank. Well, yeah, I suppose not, but I somehow suspect he didn't particularly WANT to be a bank president! Apparently he, too, got the message; I haven't seen him in several years, which disappoints but doesn't surprise me.

I tend to fly in some rather strange circles, and I can't tell you how many times good, honest, but weird folks have been put off by the "uber-conservative" message of the pro-gun crowd. Yes, my hair is short, but it has been long, I have had a mohawk, and my left ear is still double (and once triple) pierced. Y'all know I have no love of the ****, but there is a group of pro-gun queers called "The Pink Pistols" that I would gratefully accept help from. Remember, politics makes for strange bedfellows, and our greatest allies might be that weird mo fo with the braided hair and the Pantera shirt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know too many under 30 that have an interest in civil rights, taxes, or political issues. These interests generally come along later in life as people get more involved in business and have families. The 15% figure thrown out is probably representative of the entire population that has an interest in these sorts of issues. Nothing unusual here....

The purpose of the NRA isn't to recruit specific demagraphics of the population to show balance...don't forget who the NRA is, it's you and I...not a group that we throw money at and wait to see if our pet interest materializes. If you wish to change things in the NRA then one needs to run for the board of Directors and work within to make things happen...sniping at the group as a whole is counterproductive. To become a director you'll need about 60,000 votes...that's how many people you'll need to convince that you have a better idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts