Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As was mentioned in a previous thread, new 2013 Mini 14 (582) receivers now have mounting holes for a factory Ruger Picatinny rail. My new Ranch Rifle had the holes, but no rail was included, so I called them last Wednesday and got the rail today in the mail.

It appears to be a good quality aluminum rail and it mounts well and seems like a very sturdy setup. Anyways, here are the photos. Please note that the tape measure is there for scale only and is not precisely lined up. I used the mounts that came with my Aimpoint as an example. I didn't mount the scope on these as I just got through adjusting the mount position and then re-zeroing yesterday.

Here's the main flaw with this rail. You don't have much flexibility in mountain anything forward of the cutout. In this position, the mount could get hit with ejected brass.

The only option seems to be mounting it at the very edge, where it hangs over a bit. Still, it seems quite sturdy in this position.

All in all, it's a nice setup considering the limitations of the scope mount and receiver design. I'm sticking with my Warne QD rings for now as they are easy to detach and don't need re-zeroing when re-attached. It's nice to have another mounting option though.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The press release only mentioned 2013 Mini 14 models. The models that can take the rail would have tapped and drilled holes in the scope mounts. If yours has these holes, I would call Ruger to ask.

They sent me the rail kit for free. They even paid for fast shipping.

Hey Texan,

Was the rail suppose to come with the gun because I just go a Mini 30 and it did not have the rail. Did they give it to you or did you come out of pocket??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know you're getting bombarded with questions, so here's one more... :lol:

With the rail mounted and optics removed, can you still use the iron sights?
Happily, yes. You can use the stock iron sights just fine with the rail mounted. However, with anything mounted on the rail, you won't be able to use them. Ruger did a good job with this rail.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as it has the scope mounts, a good machine shop should be able to make those holes. You'd just have to try and convince them to give or sell you one.

·
Marksman
5 Posts
Hey Texan,

I called Ruger yesterday and the lady I talked to said she would happliy send me a rail. So I gave her my info and she said it would take 6-7 business days! She also said it was a new thing that Ruger was doing with the new 582 series rifles and that when they started, some of the rifles may have been shipped already and that's why they didn't have them in the box. So maybe if anyone has a new 582 series rifle, they may send them one if they want one. Dealing with Ruger's CS was very much an ease. Two thumbs up for Ruger, I'm glad to see Ruger listens and cares about their customers!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! I'm glad to hear they're doing this for the Mini 30 as well. It makes sense that they would.

Yes! Any owners of 2013 582 series Mini 14 and 30 models that didn't get a Picatinny rail should call Ruger and ask for one.

Come to think of it, the press release says that the rifles now come with two magazines. Mine only came with one five round mag. I'm going to see if they send me the other one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
aimpoint micro! (or any other aimpoint with a really low ring)
They mount the lowest of any red dots, i found that out as they are the only red-dot optics that will cowitness with an Ultimak on an AK
they mount LOW so i reckon that would be a pretty darn good setup for the mini

i dont think there will be any adjustment for cowitnessing on the mini but i really dont care about that stuff.

If i were to put a scope on it, i would just use the ruger rings.

i am glad i held off on getting a new mini one last year!
Glad to see they are doing this (hope they dont do away with ruger rings)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Texan,
I called for my rail, and they're gonna send it to me... but they explained the catalogs and press releases are wrong, and that with the magazine issues going on at the moment, they are not sending two mags. with the guns. So, I went to Numich's and ordered up a new one.... just because.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a new Mini-14 two weeks ago and it came with scope rings, the Picatinny rail, and two 5 round mags. I don’t think their catalog or press release was a mistake at the time it was written or I wouldn’t have gotten the extra mag in the box. I think they intended on shipping two mags per gun but with the current mag shortage they may be re-thinking it and are trying to limit it to one. I guess I got lucky and got mine while they were still sending two.

·
Registered
159 Posts
BigAlGunner,
sorry i short expand that a bit.... mine is a tactical, Ruger CS was refering to the high capacity mags.... which mine would have came with 2- 20rounders..
However, seems strange, as you said... maybe they have a shortage of 20's too.

·
Comanche Three Six
1 Posts
Screws for rail, wrong size?

So sorry to bother you, but I wanted to ask your help. My new mini-14 came with a rail identical to the one pictured in your thread; it has a notch, two rear holes and one forward hole. Were two of your mounting screws fat and one thin? It seems that only the thin one will fit into the mounting holes on the rifle. Additionally, the rail came with three very small, cylinder like screws that, due to their lack of a head, would not be able to hold the rail onto the rifle. Any help you could offer would be most appreciated.

Respectfully,

Edward

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fallujah04, the cylindrical screws without heads are just for plugging holes if you don't use rail, the others should all be same size, just purchased the mini 14 tactical last week and it had 2 20rd mags with it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.