Perfect Union banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to do a thread on the Mini-14's service with the Bermuda Regiment (Bermuda's only military force). Bermuda issues the Mini-14GB/20. It was originally procured with standard Ruger wood stocks, but these were replaced a few years ago by Choate pistol grip stocks, plus a few Butler Creek folding stocks.

The regiment is trained (and equipped for the most part) along British lines (some of the instructors are ex-British army) and is part time, somewhat similar to the National Guard. As it is still a colonial posession of the UK, Bermudians are allowed to serve in the UK military if they so choose and it has sent officers to Sandhurst from time to time. The units main role is to assist in internal policing during times of national emergencies such as riots (a rare occurance in Bermuda) and Hurricanes (unfortunately a not so rare occurrance in Bermuda). While the regiment in it's current form has never seen combat, in its previous incarnation it served proudly in both world wars. Bermuda only has a population of some 60,000 and because of it's location and size has no enemies of any sort. So a full time standing military force is pretty much a unwarranted or unjustified expense, from their point of view. Bermuda has one of the highest standards of living in the world due to one of the highest per capita income rates in the world and enjoys a literacy rate in the high 90s.

The following was a post in another forum (and also in an older 2007 Perfect Union thread) by a former Bermuda soldier: "Although there are numbers of Sterling sub-machine guns in the Bermuda Regiment's armoury, the weapon issued to drivers, medics and other secon-tier troops is the Israeli Uzi. A complete break was made with the standard British infantry weapon-the rifle- in the 'eighties when the L1A1 SLR was replaced, not with the SA80 ( still lost in interminable development Hell, at that point,) but the American Ruger Mini-14. This 5.56mm rifle, effectively scaled down from the same design the USA fought the Second World War with, was originally intended for sporting use, and despite being retro-fit with a black, plastic Choate stock (which ruins its sight line,) is much hated by the troops to whom it is issued. A rumour circulating Warwick Camp holds that the decision to purchase it, rather than any of the large assortment of other 5.56mm rifles the Bermuda Regiment had inspected, was taken after Bill Ruger had offered to engrave the Bermuda Regiment badge into each rifle. One hopes that is not true, though it is certainly the case that each rifle does indeed carry a lovely reproductiuon of the unit's badge. A more likely reason for the choice was the very low cost of the Ruger rifle, by comparison to its competitors-about half the price of an Armalite, or less..."

Below are some pictures I found showing the Mini-14GB in service. Enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Love the picks!

BTW: " So a full time standing military force is pretty much a unwarranted or unjustified expense." - There is no such thing. Costa Rica has no military, so the drug cartels have gone a wee bit south and are exploiting that. At some point, it is very likely, that someone is going to want something you have.
I agree with you. I meant to make it clearer in the post that the small size of the Bermuda Regiment was indicative of the Bermuda government point of view, not my own. I edited the original post to clarify that. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Pretty cool pics...even caught a few spent casings frozen in flight. Thanks for sharing...;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I like the Mini, but is this a sad commentary on the Ruger when we're posting pics of the Bermuda Regiment in action?...and I wonder why they claim to dislike it?:blink:

·
Registered
34,512 Posts
I see what looks just like a single BC folder in the first photo.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Someone mentioned in that other thread that they were AC556's in the Choate stocks...
But, Ruger hasn't made the Mini in selective fire for many years, correct?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I feel sorry for the guy in picture #7. I'ld probably be trying to hide behind the truck too if some of the other guys got TWO rifles and they wouldn't even give me a mag to put in mine....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Maybe they could use your new sight/flash hider combo too. Moving the front sight back out to the end of the barrel should help their accuracy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Maybe they could use your new sight/flash hider combo too.
Amen! But, lest I run amuck with the Feds over some dry humor, I plan to keep sales within the good ole USA...;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
The finish looks like worn parkerizing to me. As it should be.

Anyone switching from FAL to Mini comes by their disappointment honestly. I like the mini for a casual fun gun but the FAL is in a whole different class of weapons. But when you consider the mission of these guys a 10/22 would likely suffice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some more pictures...

Here are a few more new pictures I found showing the Bermuda Regiment training with the Mini-14GB/20. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts