Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you all find this as interesting as I did...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------​

From Dennis Martin's excellent work "The Iron Hand of War"

Since the original version of this article was published I received feedback from several sources, including Paul Gomez, a respected firearms/combatives instructor from the USA. Paul alerted me to the work of Captain Noel. I had seen the Captain, at advanced age, talking on TV about his Himalayan expeditions, and about doing intelligence work in the region wearing "native garb". I never realised that this real character was a noted gunman, but Paul explained….

Noel wrote "How To Shoot With A Revolver" in 1918, followed by "The Automatic Pistol" in 1919 and a later [1940] abridged edition of "How To Shoot With A Revolver". In Noel's work we see links between Tracy and Grant-Taylor [particularly with the cocking of the gun in route to firing position]. Noel covers firing by "instinctive sense of direction" utilizing a contraction of the whole hand, as though "squeezing water from a sponge", a 45-degree ready position and a vertical lift to threat. He, also, created shoot houses with moving, falling, pop up, and knock down targets. In some cases, he even fitted a blank firing pistol to the hand of a 3D target so that he could cause the hand to raise and fire the gun at the student.

We know that Tracy eventually went on to command the "Southern Command Revolver School at Wareham" and that Noel went on to become a "revolver instructor" at the "Small Arms School at Hythe" under Major Dudley Johnson in 1921, but that's all I have regarding them as instructors.

Paul very kindly sent me a copy of Captain Noel's 1940 manual, and I was delighted to find the following timeless advice…

THE MAXIMS OF PISTOL SHOOTING
  • 1] Prove your pistol every time you draw it from the holster.
    2] Never hand over, or, accept a pistol unless proved
    3] The pistol is an ideal weapon for self defence
    4] Some people mistrust a pistol because they have never learned how to use it.
    5] Gain confidence in your pistol by learning how to use it, and finding out what you can do with it.
    6] The pistol is a weapon of opportunity
    7] You seldom need a pistol, but when you do, you need it mighty badly.
    8] You cannot claim to be a pistol shot unless you are a fast shot
    9] Practice the correct handling of the pistol from the first, then you will handle it by instinct when the moment comes.
    10] Shoot by sense of direction at close quarters
    11] Don't neglect your left hand
    12] Squeeze your trigger like you squeeze water from a sponge.
    13] The timing of your trigger release just as the sights come aligned to the mark, needs careful practice
    14] Trigger pressing is the secret of pistol shooting.
    15] Pistol shooting is merely a matter of practice
    16] Don't hang on to the trigger, release the finger fully after every shot.
    17] Learn not to fumble. Practice a clean, quick action in drawing and handling your pistol.
    18] Fire by sense of direction in the dark
    19] Fire fast in the dark.
    20] Reload at the first opportunity. Always have a full magazine ready.
    21] Change your pistol from right to left hand according to the corner
    22] Keep cool. Fire fast, but never faster than your "best speed" or you will miss every time.
    23] The art of quick shooting lies in perfection in the quick alignment of the sights, combined with an instinctive and automatic trigger squeeze.
    24] If you are a good pistol shot you will have nothing to fear from any man in the world.

·
Registered
147 Posts
while I vehemently disagree with using only one hand (unless you have no choice) and squeezing the entire gun, the rest of it is good advice. Of course, point firing is not a good idea beyond about 10 ft, and then only from eye level, and slowing down quite a bit if you only have one hand. Get luminous night sights, so that you CAN aim at night. Even with a flashlight, you often can't see the sights swiftly enough. the luminous inserts "draw" your eye, making it very easy to hit swiftly in the dark. The problem is, if someone is behind you, THEY can see your sights glowing, from some angles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Combat shooting is a continuum…it starts one-handed at the holster top and continues out to two-handed sighted fire. The distance at which one shoots how is up to them and their capability…there is not set distance. I can easily shoot and hit inside a 12x18 zone at 25-feet at ¾-extension.

You won't see the sights at night and is they're luminous you'll be looking at then instead of the threat(s)…not a good thing as your attention should always be on the threat(s) and what's behind it…

Most folks who damn close combat shooting, of which point shooting is a part, don't fully understand it…

·
Registered
344 Posts
while I vehemently disagree with using only one hand (unless you have no choice) and squeezing the entire gun, the rest of it is good advice. Of course, point firing is not a good idea beyond about 10 ft, and then only from eye level, and slowing down quite a bit if you only have one hand. Get luminous night sights, so that you CAN aim at night. Even with a flashlight, you often can't see the sights swiftly enough. the luminous inserts "draw" your eye, making it very easy to hit swiftly in the dark. The problem is, if someone is behind you, THEY can see your sights glowing, from some angles.
One handed rapid fire shooting at 7 yards from the draw with a Dan Wesson .357

Right handed

Left Handed

Two handed from a draw with my 45 at 15 yards? What was that about one handed shooting and not shooting beyond 10' ?

If you can't shoot beyond belly button distance you have handicapped yourself and if you can't shoot with either hand you have handicapped yourself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
yeah, WITH EAR PROTECTION, in good light, on a stationary target, all warmed up, with nobody try8ing to kill you, and no pressure, and no timer, so it can be as "rapid" as you need it to be. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try it sometime, without ear protection, in bad light, on a mover, while having somebody fire past you, and someone else tossing rice on your head, to provide a bit of realistic stress, like fragments of bullets or "cover" raining on your face. Also, put the timer on it, average of 5tries, then come back and tell us how WRONG you were. :)

·
Troll Fister
138 Posts
Try it sometime, without ear protection, in bad light, on a mover, while having somebody fire past you, and someone else tossing rice on your head, to provide a bit of realistic stress, like fragments of bullets or "cover" raining on your face. Also, put the timer on it, average of 5tries, then come back and tell us how WRONG you were. :)
yeah...throwing rice at the other shooters - that'll get you invited back to your local firing range.

do you actually think this crap up convict? :wacko:

rice? really? LOLZ

Idiot.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
I think you're right. GK or one of his offspring...added to ignore list. Watch out for callmeandshootmeorsomethingorother too. I think he has multiple accounts now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
yeah, WITH EAR PROTECTION, in good light, on a stationary target, all warmed up, with nobody try8ing to kill you, and no pressure, and no timer, so it can be as "rapid" as you need it to be. :)
Those targets were set up and shot cold with no warm up. They got better after that set. Light was good but wind wasn't. I purposely chose targets that don't shoot back. I like those kind better than the ones that try and hurt you.

If you can't do it in practice I guarantee you won't be able to do it in real life. That is why we practice. What makes you think you won't be injured or hindered in some manner and just might need to be able to shoot offhand with the weak hand. Your quick draw McGraw routine will be shot in the keester under those circumstances but a real shooter will still be able to shoot.

Note that my 45 target on the bottom was also 7 yards rapid fire left handed. That is the other thing a shooter will do, learn to shoot any gun, revolver or pistol because if the waste matter hits the fan you might not have access to your pet gun.

Invite to the little hut in the woods is still open if you would like to come and teach me how I should be shooting. In the meantime I will just muddle along the best I can without your expert guidance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm gone from the board for a few weeks and I see that idiot gunkook was back for a visit again. You'd think he'd learn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you don't even own a revolver, the odds of your "needing" to be able to use one are very, very low, wouldn't you say? :) Real life is not like 007 movies, with just the right thing being available just as you happen to need it. Instead of diluting your training/skills by working with different makes and models, better to just become super-skilled with your ccw gun. That's what matters, cause that is what you will have, if you have anything, that is, when you need a gun for defense.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Donnel,

I agree to an extent. Once you choose your CCW pistol then by all means train with it. But, you need to try different makes and models to find that CCW pistol and it never hurts to have at least basic knowledge of other types of pistols.

What I do, and have my family and friends do, is before we're done with a fun shoot outback, the last thing we do is work with out carry weapons. Then it's the last imprint on the noodle...

·
Registered
20 Posts
ah, but it can and does hurt, if you don't get enough time and practice with the ccw gun, because you are dinking around with other makes and models. While you are trying to figure out which one you want, maybe, but practically everyone is better off with a pc that is small and lw enough for pocket carry. They just aint going to do the work necessary to be safe and fast enough from a ccw belt rig.

·
Registered
344 Posts
ah, but it can and does hurt, if you don't get enough time and practice with the ccw gun, because you are dinking around with other makes and models. While you are trying to figure out which one you want, maybe, but practically everyone is better off with a pc that is small and lw enough for pocket carry. They just aint going to do the work necessary to be safe and fast enough from a ccw belt rig.
On the other hand those of us who practice with a variety of weapons can pick up almost any gun and use it to good effect. Unlike some poor souls who are lost if they have a style, type or action unfamiliar to them. If you only have one trick and that trick don't work you are in deep organic waste and it's to late to do anything about it.

·
Troll Fister
138 Posts
Kilo, Grumpy,

you do realize this new Donnel cat is Gunkid/Tap/whoa under a different name right?

he had to change his name cause I either soured his other one (whoa) so badly that he couldnt expound his "wisdom" with it without getting a wicked beat down in front of the group... and therefore felt he couldn't be taken seriously ( roll on drums - laughs ensue)

OR

he's so stupid he forgot his login password.

either way, he's here for our amusement again.

Lets dance Convict, I own you most rightious. :p

·
Troll Fister
138 Posts
u r a pathetic punk, and that's all you'll ever be, pissant.
come on, is that the best you can do? does anyone even use the term "pissant" anymore? wow.
anyway - I think this is a fine case of the pot calling the kettle black

Hell, Convict -I own a home, I haven't done time, Never commited a felony and I have people and a good dog that love me.

I'm cool with my life, Somehow I think that yours is pretty miserable

you ain't ****, convict - you never were, you never will be. :lol:
keep struggling, your pain amuses me.

sad old man.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts