Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm. I am not sure why or what I bought it for. Unfortunately I cant even blame it on a drunken interwebz impulse buy cuz I havent had a beer in over 2½ years.

Would it be practical to scope my 581 mini with it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Would it be more practical to have it sitting on the shelf in the closet? I say put it on the rifle and see what happens! You can always take it back off. Pictures and range report required, of course.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Congrats on the new scope. As I have always been an iron sight shooter , and have a TRS 25 also, afriend of mine gave me a 3-9x40 scope last week . the scope came on his Rem 700 in 7mm. The scope has a Remington brand although Iam sure its made in China. Ive been on the fence about buying an expensive scope so hopefully this will help me decide. If I like it than I might invest in a better scope like yours. I have put this on my 582 Tactical.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it be more practical to have it sitting on the shelf in the closet? I say put it on the rifle and see what happens! You can always take it back off. Pictures and range report required, of course.
It would mean I would have to blow my tax returns on a more practical rifle :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a VX2 2x7-33 on my 582SS with Ruger #4 rings and it works great! I keep it on 2power except for long shots. It is with me every day on our Ranch either in a PU or on an ATV.

With a 40 mm scope, you might need the Ruger #5 rings---a little taller.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a VX1 4x12x40 mounted on my Remington 798 .270 and I have had nothing but good experiences with it. I think it would hold up on a mini (no practical experience here though, my mini wears tech sight irons). That said, it's a rock solid scope, holds up well to abuse (fell on my rifle climbing up an icy tree stand and the scope remained true, sunk in quicksand and hunted in rain with no water infiltration). Hope yours serves you as well as mine has.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may never see my Mini. It may end up on my GSR or sumtin new. That's kinda why I'm asking for opinions.

·
Taskurbater in Chief
8 Posts
WARNING: Just my opinion; everyone has them :rolleyes:

Hell no you didn't make a mistake. Not if your experience is anything like mine. :D I've had a VX-1 and a VX-3 on my AR-10. I bought the 3 because the 1 was a great deal and exceeded all my expectations. The one was on my AR-15 for a bit then swapped as a long sight for my Mini (because I like it better).

Seriously, I think the light quality, sharpness and ease of dialing in are way out of the pay grade for the VX series. They hold zero quite well and have stood up to frequent travel and genuinely poor treatment. Plus - as you now know ;) - they're easy to resell. Get you a quick release mount and go shoot all that stuff you couldn't even see before. Then just pop it off for when you want irons or a 1-2x alternative.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You Will LOVE Your Loo Pold ...

That is a big scope. We still have somewhere an older Leopold 3x9x40 straight thin crosshair scope. It gets borrowed around from family to family and sometimes good close friends to see how good their new high powered or rim fire toy will actually shoot.

If nothing else you now have trading material equal or more valuable that what you $have$ in the Leopold scope. Enjoy. We love ours. Have several and practically nothing else. Made up the road up here in Oregon. Enough said. HB of CJ (old coot) SW OR USA.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You all have touched on three of my concerns.

1 will it hold up to the mini's action
2 is it too big of a scope for the rifle
3 will the stock rings fit

We will find out the aesthetic issues Tuesday. As for range time...yeh we will see when I can get to a rifle range.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Like putting a spotting scope on a BB gun

But hey, to each their own. More like the AR Mod 1-4 for 5.56. I have the VX-1 on my RRA AR10 with the Leupold mount and of course it's rock solid. I don't like seeing little carbines like the mini buried under a large tube, but that's just me. They go from handy to a bench queen in a snap, oh snap.;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since you're asking for opinions… I think 3-9x is a bit much for a Mini. I have a VX-1 2-7 on mine. The 2-7 is lighter and more compact, and fits the distance I shoot the rifle at better. My personal preference is to shoot 50 yards at around 3-4x magnification, and 100 yards at 6-8x. It's very rare that I take a shot over 100 yards. I used to have some higher powered scopes, but found them to only be useful from a bench, and therefore impractical for most applications. I tend to go with the least amount of scope that will do the job, and my most common are 1-4x.

I have been known to keep one higher powered scope around for when I get a new rifle. I like to set it up, test different ammo with it, and use the extra magnification to test its accuracy at 100 yards. Once I know what the rifle can do (or what I can do with the rifle), I'll often switch it down to a lower power, one I consider more of a field/general use scope.

I'd say keep the scope, they are good glass -- but you can probably find a better fit for a Mini.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts