Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
VDMA VIDEOS
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fired and used a lot of bolt action military surplus rifles, but above them all, and I mean, way, way, way above them all is the Lee-Enfield rifle. Why do I say that? Four reasons:

1. Rugged and heavy, helps mitigate recoil tremendously.
  2. Fantastic stock trigger, better than any others.
  3. Large capacity magazine, ten rounds.
  4. Incredibly fast and smooth bolt cycling.
  5. And, finally, the sights: just incredibly good!

Here is the video I've been wanting to put together and finally got around to it, first, a close look at the Lee-Enfield I own, a No. 4, Mk1* and then following that close look and background on the Lee-Enfield, shooting and function demonstrations from the gun club:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I have the Enfield bug and buy them every chance I have. I have 9 here now, a mixture of No3 Mk1's, No4 Mk1's, a No4 Mk*1/3 and a couple of No 4 Mk2's one of which falls in the Irish Contract serial number range.

My Savage No4 Mk*1/3 two groove is a good shooter and the Mk2's are even better. Privy and Wolf Gold 174 grain FMJ is pretty accurate target and plinking and the Wolf 150 grain SP and Privy 180 grain SP are my go to deer and elk rounds.

I lucked out and got a couple crates of South African ball ammo a few years back and still have a crate and a half. If it ever came down to needing a good bolt action battle rifle I would not hesitate to grab one of the Mk2's and some of the South African ammo loaded up in chargers. Pretty powerful and accurate out past 800 yards on a two legged target.

·
VDMA VIDEOS
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy cow, you have NINE?

Kudos.

What is the advantage of a Mk2? Any improvements over the Mk1?

Oh, by the way, the safety fell completely out of my LE during the shooting session with it and ... could not find it. I know they are inexpensive to buy, but apparently a bit tricky to install?

Any tips?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The Mk2's were the last of the Enfields produced, mostly on new tooling, not worn reamers and other tooling that they resharpened during the war to keep production up. They also had all the refinements they came up with for the No4 rifles, mainly how the trigger was hung from the receiver other then the trigger guard assembly.

If the safety has been taken completely apart and the catch is unscrewed from the lever it can be a bit of a bitch to screw it back on in the proper clocked position so it will work properly. There is 5 or 6 different ways the catch will thread onto the lever, only one of which is proper.

If you message me a good e mail address I will send you a couple of pdf's I have on the Enfield rifles and assembly.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I have an Mk1 with the wired forestock. Never shot the thing since I bought it back in the 90's. I had a No4 when my son was born but I sold it when I needed the extra money. It was in excellent condition. The funny thing is that the guy I bought it from delivered it to me loaded. After he left I saw the gun was cocked and when I opened the bolt a live round popped out.

I am going to rectify that sale very shortly. I have been looking for a nice No 4. This time it will be shot and it won't be sold.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Got my new Enfield No 4, MKII, and it says "F" next to it. I have two pictures attached. It has a small import mark, can't make out the seller its too small. The weird thing is that it has something all over it that appears to be a brown grease. Even some in the bore. The trigger feels all greased up too. Hmmm. May not have ever been shot since it was packaged up. It now has a shiny bore with very crisp rifling.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
The serial is a five digit PF30809 which is harder to find and is a Fazakerley build. Appears that it's never been shot. The rifling is too sharp and the bore still has some grease it it as well as the bolt and trigger. If fact the trigger had to much grease it would stick a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.