Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came down the final stretch of this Mini 14 journey today.
I picked up a Choate Conventional stock from Midway.
My factory wood stock was getting a few nicks and dings here and there associated with typical use. I want to preserve it.
I recently picked up a used Mini 30 that came with a Choate Conventional stock. I really liked that stock. It felt lighter than my wood stock Mini and more comfortable too. I decided to switch to the Choate for the Mini 14. I can always switch back to the wood stock in like 30 seconds, so no big deal.
I got it from Midway. It was about $70 shipped. I had to remove material where the trigger group seats on the bottom, and on the right side where the operating rod/piston comes out of the side of the stock. About 10 minutes with a coarse file and the Mini was good to go.
Love this rifle! Going out in a couple of weeks to check it out. I have several loads to test out. I will do a range report then. Thanks to Sandog and and everyone here for your sage advice on putting together a Mini that kicks butt and looks beautiful! I really appreciate it. You guys rock!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I liked the Choate pistol grip stock I tried. I had to do a LOT of filing to even get my Mini to drop into it. It shot well for a while, then started to drop the trigger group out onto the ground when you shot. I took measurements, and never did figure out the problem.
Choate replaced it, but by then I had moved on and gone with a different stock.

But the Choate "felt" a lot lighter, was comfortable to hold and man did it swing fast !

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to get that same Choate stock. Unfortunately here in Commiefornia that pistol grip is a no no.
When I move out of here to a free state someday it will be a different story.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I liked the Choate pistol grip stock I tried. I had to do a LOT of filing to even get my Mini to drop into it. It shot well for a while, then started to drop the trigger group out onto the ground when you shot. I took measurements, and never did figure out the problem.
Choate replaced it, but by then I had moved on and gone with a different stock.

But the Choate "felt" a lot lighter, was comfortable to hold and man did it swing fast !
I have always like the design of this stock but I have heard too many complaints about it being too flexible. Maybe someday that will change. But, the design is good in my humble opinion.

kwg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Intriguing extent crossword clue. I was looking for a forum about puzzles. But apparently, I went to the wrong place. In general, the topic of weapons is always interesting. I also like the mini 14. Quite an interesting gun. Especially all its components. It is a pity that none of my friends are engaged in hunting. I'd love to do it a couple of times. I also collected weapons once. I even created them on a 3D printer. It's very entertaining. It's a massive hobby. Weapons and hunting. But as I said before. Not everyone is interested in this.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,871 Posts
One of the "issues" with stocks having built-in pistol-grips is that they are not usually suitable to giving an instant and effective 'butt-stroke" to a close-quarters adversary.

Seldom required , but something to consider.

I have changed-out my Choate pistol grip buttstock on my Rem 870 for a "Police" version, conventional stock, for this exact reason. Nothing flimsy about the Choate pistol-grip stock, but wanted some more "alternatives" especially in a close-distance firearm.

It's all about trade-offs. With close-quarter Shotguns, I reckon having the ability to butt-stroke might be useful. Having a folding buttstock is also useful. YMMV.

I do have some folding stocks, likely to be banned by future State Laws. If so, then I will revert to a more tactically useful, full stock.

See how the Anti gunner laws work against their ostensible goals?

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,601 Posts
Intriguing extent crossword clue. I was looking for a forum about puzzles.
Geez, this forum is staying alive by accident. That's not a good sign. :oops:

·
Formerly "raf"
1,871 Posts
Posters come and go. I've suggested this forum on many different Sites.

To be honest, not not much novel stuff to be had here, except for problem issues, which are seldom well-defined, and so not subject to some sort of resolution here.

I reckon future Fed and State bans will drive-up interest, sad to say.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,601 Posts
Posters come and go. I've suggested this forum on many different Sites.
That's what people who run forums think, and it used to be true. But the reality has changed. This place isn't going to be repopulated by new members. TikTok kids don't know anything about guns and they don't care to. This new wave of forum joiners don't have the caliber.

To be honest, not not much novel stuff to be had here, except for problem issues, which are seldom well-defined, and so not subject to some sort of resolution here.

I reckon future Fed and State bans will drive-up interest, sad to say.
Or drive people to go dark and disappear.

PU used to be a happening place. Something made everyone up and leave. I've only been around here since 2015. It was the place to go for Mini aficionados long before that.

I don't like Rugerforum.net any better. One thing is I much prefer vBulliten. I don't care if it looks outdated or not. Real gun owners are kind of outdated.

One thing PU has that others don't is a dedicated Mini-14/Mini-30 sub-forum.

I still haven't shared half the stuff I know about Minis from definitive sources and my experience. There's plenty to talk about. Could be a lot of members are hesitant to invest time into a ship that looks like it's sinking. Looking for greener pastures.

Reactions: cleanodeano
1 - 10 of 10 Posts