Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
I really want one of those AR-7's .. just for emergencies. When I think of "survival rifle" i think .22. When I think defensive carbine, I think .223/556/7.62x39 and so on.

If I had to have ANY rifle (generic, affordable) I'd pick a Mini-14 or AR-15. Maybe an AK-74. It's just the cartridge .. the round is good for rodents and anything up to say a deer. Perfect for defense, too! However, I have my collection rounded off for survival in SHTF.

I have a .22, a hunting rifle, a defensive rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun set aside for emergency purposes. Of course, I do have others .. but my SHTF/WROL set-up is untouchable. Unless of course I upgrade a gun. However, I have to really be confident in it to trust it with my family's lives.

Overall, this is an interesting article. However, I simply can't decide on ONE survival rifle. Not when I can have multiple guns to serve specific tasks. Of course there might be a time when I can only rely on two rifles (what I can easily carry) and it will be my Steven's Savage .22 and my Mini-14.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jsh

Go Ahead and Try on of the Ar-7 Guns, I've had a few and most often realy disapointed in how it worked? I had a Few charter arms model, as well as later a few Henry's and they were all commonly failed with simular problems, even with picking good, Plated 22 ammo they often jammed and were not very Reliable! I would sudgues you try for yourself and see? If you find as I did that they don't well suport your needs the search is not over! I had very Good sucess and luck with marlin inthe "papoose" Family of Simular rifles to the AR-7! The marlin I had was an Early Blue Model that was stolen after my vehicle was Wrecked ad towed away, and I did later try a Buddies Stainless steel 9Newer Model) and BOTH were exceent guns assembled easy, both were solid guns and Fed most 22 ammo and were short and light and easy to break down and stow in the floatable case they came in1 aBOUT THE SAME $ AS A ar-7, THESE WILL ACTUALLY FEED AND FIRE AND EJECT! The sites are OK, I added a scope to the one I had but it was easy to add it or remove it and mostly stayed on zero! Once I have more $ I plan to re-add a Stainless papoose to my Car BOB and it will be a welcome addition! The standard 7 shot mag is ok, they are not expensive and well work, but you can find the 25 Rnd Models for a Bit more "FUN"? Check it out and I bet ya like it as much as I did, as for Survival Rifes or weapons, I don't see any 1 Gun as fitting the need? I prefer my long guns for some uses and my short guns for others and shotguns cover a lot but not all as well?

RON

·
Registered
220 Posts
Kevin

No Smooching your Butt, But You make a Great point, an Article aways seems more well real with Pics or at least Illustrations, thats hwthe Human Mind learns best?

RON L

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)Just my 2 cents worth on a survival rifle-your mileage may vary!My choice is a 223-of any action type,and a "few" of those cartridges that fit into the chamber that will accept .22lr.That way you have your quiet hunting gun that you can "find" ammo for,and a midrange utility/combat caliber for those other occasions.Two kinds of ammo/one gun<_<.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsh1284
When I think of "survival rifle" i think .22.

GDKPIKPWD
^That was all I had to say.^

So what have you guys got against the .22 magnum? Close to the same ammo portability and more range and energy. Pair it with a handgun in the same caliber and a good general purpose knife and off thru the woods you go.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For me it's my M1A. Can hunt deer and elk out in the open areas here in Montana, drop a bear if need be and also double as a self defense weapon for shtf.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure yet, but have got it narrowed down to one of the three below...

Top to bottom =

LRB ARMS M14SA
SAI M1A-A1
M14S Tanker

11B

·
i like the details
254 Posts
Ive got a savage Combination Gun in 222 Rem over 20Ga. I would have prefered a 223 over 12ga but I gots what i gots.

·
Registered
166 Posts
now hes just showing off
Ya, but apparently, he can:)

If his tanker shoots well, that would be my choice.

I only got one M1A, and that's my choice;)

(other than the rifles I've got buried:eek:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ya, but apparently, he can:)

If his tanker shoots well, that would be my choice.

I only got one M1A, and that's my choice;)

(other than the rifles I've got buried:eek:)
I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the LRB as of yet. ( Currently at work for the next several months...:D )

I figure that if I am in need of a rifle for any surviving, I would be better off with the type that I spend the most time with, have spare parts/ammo/mags for, and use a similar version of while at work.

The tanker has been my primary center fire hunting rifle since it was built back in 2006.

That, along with the rule of 3's.;)

11B

1 - 20 of 57 Posts