Perfect Union banner

Thanks for the warm welcome...

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
I've been by here quite a few times and have read most of the posts going WAY back in trying to glean all the knowledge that I can.

I have two Mini 14's myself along with a few other Mil type weapons. I have just laid away
a 1982 model mini and had this BRIGHT idea.
Since the rifle is an old one I figure I can do what I want with it. In fact, it is the very fact that this rifle can be heavily modified that I chose it. I see it with a foider, bayo, and flash supressor. It'll be up to the Feds to prove it wasn't this way when I bought it.

I have plenty of experience with Ranch Rifles
but none in this configuration. Any problems with the 182#### series that you know of?

I may try to find a barrel in the 1-9 twist so as to standardize all of my .223 ammo into 63 grain. I'm hoping that I can buy one from a company like Clark who does after market upgrades. As long as there is not a compatability issue this should work.

I am both torn and tortured by the Mini-14. It is a love hate relationship. I love the basic Mini platform, but despise the fact that the half-assed firm Ruger has the design as their very own to screw up.

It's basic form and function are superb, but aftermarket mags SUCK, and the accuracy is an after thought in this rifle. As I said before, this is a carbine, not a true rifle, and if one remembers that the Mini is a M-1 knockoff and NOT an AR knock off, the lack of accuracy doesn't sting as badly, but still doesn't make one puff up with pride either. Hell, my $70 SKS are more accurate than this thing! And Ruger has the NERVE calls themselves an "Arms company"?

That being said, I DO wish a STANDARD mil type barrel was available for this thing. Not an expensive H BAR version, but rather, an improved, slightly thicker barrel whose harmonics were capable of accurate fire, not match grade fire. Something along the lines of a standard AR-15 barrel would make this the PERFECT .223 in my judgement and would silence 99% of the Mini's critics. Do you think I could have a barrel made along those lines by a barrel manufacturer like Douglas or Shilen?

Hell, I wrote AND called Ruger Inc. to tell them just how STUPID I thought their marketing strategies were. If companies like
Clark, Conn. Precision, ARS, and others can charge $400-700 in UPGRADING a $400-700 factory rifle, couldn't Ruger go on and spend the extra $50 each to put a servicable barrel on the damned thing and raise the price by $150 or so? This coupled with the fact that no serviceable 10 round mags are readily available tells me that Ruger is a company with no direction and destined to slowly wither on the vine. (Do you HEAR ME RUGER? You %@#!!& idiots!!!)

For that matter, I think that if an after market company made SERVICEABLE mil type barrels that were not H-Bars, but rather slip
in replacement units designed as they should have been in the first place (Hear me Ruger?)
someone could make some money.

I don't want one of those funny looking "contour" type barrels on my rifle unless I can affix the standard add ons like flash supressors and the like. Think I could thread the last half inch of such a barrel? Ditto for those new "slip on exterior barrel sleeves" that are heated up and put on. BTW, do you have any experience with these? If they weren't right at the end of the barrel and interfering with my requirement for a flash supressor and/or bayo lug, then they might be the answer.

Ruger stumbled onto a good design for a rifle action but are a failure as a company where quality is concerned. I don't even know how they can put their name on a weapon's system like the Mini, I know I wouldn't. I mean look at it like this, would SAVAGE, a company renowned for economical accuracy place their name on the Mini? I seriously doubt it. They've (Savage) shown that their number one concern as a company is quality, as evidenced by their purchace of the Canadian manufacturing plant that markets their .22 rifle under the Savage name. Quality at a great price, and a far better value than the 10/22.

I try to slam Bill Ruger and his rip off company whenever I get a chance and feel his retirement as head of the firm will either fix the dog known as Sturm Ruger, or should be seen as a sign that the end is near. In fact, Ruger has VERY little in the Semi-auto rifle Market that isn't matched or surpassed by other arms companies. His Mini action is good, his 10/22 is a good design, but his semi-auto carbines are little more than rechambered M-1's at a more expensive price,IMO. But if Bill Ruger's leaving bodes well or ill for the firm, I don't care. I mean, after you buy his Mini his company is of NO use to you. All of your aftermarket needs and other issues that his company SHOULD be attending to are ignored and other companies have stepped into the void and are making a fortune by doing so. Entire companies like Bushmaster have sprang up to fill voids that bloated cow like companies in the Ruger vein have chosen not to be "bothered" with. It's inaccurate. It's BEEN inaccurate for 30 years. FIX it Ruger!

Is this a company of dinosaurs or WHAT? Most firms realize that the art of customer satisfaction and responsiveness is the key to their future. How can they be faring today? With the internet and weapons forums almost always recommending folks NOT buy a mini, but to purchase the far less refined AK, or other weapons platform, how many can Mini's can Ruger be selling? Ruger needs a complete reorg top to bottom, and a man with half a brain could grow the company NOT by adding new product lines and gimmicks, but by perfecting the excellent basic platforms like the Mini that they already own. I mean for GOD's Sake, any search of Mini issues on the net tells you that mag availability and Mini innaccuracy are the TWO issues that have plagued this system since day one. They have always known it and have chosen to not only NOT respond to the customer, but actively ignore them instead. What pukes!
In 30 years of the Mini the BIG upgrade has been:
A) Polymer stocks
B) Stainless Steel
C) Integral Scope mounts on the Ranch Rifle.

WHICH of these issues is IMPORTANT? None!!!!
The "need" for polymer stocks was chosen as an issue, while the top two issues (mags and accuracy) have been not only overlooked but NEVER once addressed.

If a guy is willing to spend $700 on a K mini
THEN turn around and drop even more than the initial purchase price on scopes, stocks, trigger jobs, and barrel jobs why would Ruger NOT take advantage of that? They could offer an improved model, upgrade their rather poor name, please the customer, and GROW their profits and business at the same time. Who's in charge at this dog company?

Look at Savage, and Remington which do the EXACT same thing with their bolt action rifles. They offer basic starter models, upgrades, package guns, and everything in between. Hello!!!! Ruger!!! Pull your head out!!!

Oh, well.....I've complained enough and as I've said the mini both tortures and teases.
It reminds me of a beautiful women who could have been prom queen but instead becomes a ragged barfly. Her once good name is leered at, her virtue besmirched, no one wants to be seen with her around their friends, but will secretly have their "way" with her when nobody's around. The mini is like an ugly chick with a good body. Lotsa fun when you're alone in the dark, but not one you'd take out in public.

You know...Ruger's crappy website doesn't even give you a forum to write his senile old butt at. I guess they puposely left this feature out as they've had enough butt chewing over the Mini. 30 years and they STILL haven't fixed it? I hope they go bankrupt qand the factory burns down tonight!

A pox on their houses! I personally think that Bill Ruger signed a secret agreement with the Chinese not to EVER make a more accurate rifle than The Communists could make for $23.

Ok, that's my rant. I'm regaining my normal color. My veins are no longer throbbing and my eyes are no longer bulging. I've wiped most of the foamy spit off of the keyboard as well.

I've got a friend that is a machinist and has been for 50 years. You think I could machine an AR barrel onto my mini? I'm about ready to try. You see, I've disregarded my own advice and forgotten that the Mini is a M-1 type weapon. It's that damned .223 cartridge, I tell ya.! I KNOW I can do something MORE with it. If Ruger had only chambered the Mini in .30 I'd be able to sleep at night and I'd know the names of my kids out in the living room. As it is I'm spending every spare moment looking for a cheap fix to my Mini addiction for accuracy.

Hey, didn't you send a couple off for upgrades? How'd they work out? I will be firing Milsurp, so match grade is of little concern to me.

Do you have an e-mail addy for Ruger that I could send a copy of this flame job to? Hell, I'd even volunteeer to go run their dog of a company for about 3 days in order to get their crap together if they'd just ackowledge that they are aware that they are selling a half a**ed product.

See less See more
#2 ·
HOLEY COW you just summed up my entire thoughts on this rifle! Red i too am new here. I was looking for a guy who left a post on another board on fixing USA stainless 30rnd mags. I dont know why ruger cant put a decent barrel on the mini.I dont think it would cost that much. Think about it how many do they build a year. He could buy blanks in quantity from Douglas or Wilson for a hell of a lot cheaper than you or I. They put a hammer forged barrel on the 1022 they should be able to do the same as a mini. You should be able to buy the whole rifle for $600.00. Red do you post on tucos forum? I did get 30 rnd. USA Brand stainless mags to work pretty good in my mini's. They use a heavier gauge steel for these, you have to change out followers and deburr with a dremel tool. PMI are still the best. Welcome Flak 2.

#3 ·
Why, yes I do post over on Tuco's occasionally and other sites as well. sometimes my refusal to bow at the PC altar seems to make me persona non grata, but what the hey, why wouldn't I say that the Emperor has no clothes when he's standing there buck naked?

Do you have an e-mail addy that I can use for Ruger? I'm TIRED of being Mr. Nice guy with a bunch of crooks who are selling what appear to be rifles made intentionally inaccurate through poor manufacturing. It's time to turn up the heat, and if Ruger is a publically held company (which I doubt it is) let them know you're on a campaign to inform the world of their shoddy workmanship.

I mean DAMN, 30 years and they can't build a barrel as good as any OTHER rifle they produce? I'm ready to challenge the good folks at Ruger to a shoot out. Their way over-priced K mini against any $23 SKS they'd like to compete against. If more folks would use these public forums to DAMN ineptitude instead of excuse it we'd all be in better shape.

I can't say that Emporer Bill Ruger is completely naked as he holds up his Mini-14, but it's quite clear he has NOTHING on below the waist. This emporer is only partially clothed and someone ought to tell him and THEN force him to correct the problem.

#4 ·
Red ruger is public stock cant remember if its NAS. or NYSE. You know they,ll probably make a killin on Kali.guys i think mini;rem.7400 and BAR is the only things they can have. By the way Gun Parts corp. has fireing pins i just got 3 24.00 a piece. Thats another bitch i got RESTRICKED PARTS! bolts hammer sear disc. who wants to send a rifle back to manf. I think G.P.C. got some L.E.O. minis and stripped for parts,fireing pins look used. Mini was my first semi in center fire couldnt afford an AR then. I like my ARs now but still have a soft spot for minis. This may start some s&^t but with PMI mags my minis are more dependable than my ARs with 30rnd GIs. But my ARs can drive tacks with the right loads. I just cant seem to come off the $$$ for ARS heavy barrel. Shucks $220.00 for oly.arms stainless ultramatch 1-10''barrel.Put it together yourself 52grn BTHP 1MOA EASY..Red sorry dont have rugers home page. These are nice people around here if you say mini 14 on other boards they laugh at ya.Truth be known Ill bet alotta AR guys own them. The best i could ever do is 2moa for 3 shots cold barrel ive heard other guys say they could do better not me and ive tried allota loads. I may strip a new one and send for cryo.Hey you mess with mas 49 56.

#5 ·
Wow! Settle down everyone and take your medicine. Still, I agree with you both. In Brownells a replacement barrel is 62.00. If they just add 100.00 to that, increase quality and size between HBAR & what they have now, it would be perfect. Here is my theory. Public *political* image, politics. We all know that the basic gun is under rated and misunderstood by most, strong and reliable ( leave out the mag issue for a moment ). If Ruger produced a mini that shot groups similar to a standard AR, and at this point, 10 round factory mags, liberals would interpret this as catering to the anti gov type survivalist or whoever, you fill in. Why? Because they would have modified thier average mini's to a high quality shooting machine! And in todays political climate the propaganda would spread that the only use for these changes ( 10 round mags included here ) would be for "no good". Ruger has already set a precedent by keeping the status quo for so long and any changes would be noticed and might be interpreted as militeristic, or against the publics well being. Bad press for Ruger. Plainly, it would make a 600.00 ( Flak 2 price here )off the shelf, military round, high capacity ( ok 10 round ), accurate, SHORT - EASY TO MANEUVER AND OR CONCEAL CARBINE *readily available and affordable to the average American*. As a quick aside, the idea OF defending hearth & home is not popular, hence, no need for this weapon.

About myself. My friend has an FFL. So over the years I'd buy something at his cost, shoot it for a while and sell it, often for what I paid, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. Handguns, rifles, tried 22 mag out, M1 carbines etc. At this point, amoung other guns, I ended up with a couple of mini 30's. Why 30's? Just because. Like I said, try something out and pass it on. Other guys ordered the mini 14, and I said let's check these out. After fooling with them I realized I liked em. So, ( at the moment anyway ) for me the price of new barrels doesn't hurt. I have a shilen barrel, with the contour shape and one at ARS right now ( about 2 months? I think, lost track ).

The new shilen is about 190.00 through Brownells. I'm thinking of doing a little research and a feasibilty study to see if I could put one on myself. Order the tools needed, buy a mini 14 and barrel and have at it. That is after I test out the mini 30 shilen and see if it's worth it.

#6 ·
I LOVE the Mas 49/56! Great shooter, accurate, a PROVEN milsurp rifle of a major European power. Best of all it ain't a pistol grip type .308 like so many others (AR10, Fal) are. At prices cheaper than my SKS's I want to load up on the MAS. If Federal has anymore I'll be ordering another one (maybe two?)next week.

I wonder what sort of extras come with them over at Federal? Bayo, sling, night sights?

Oh well, no matter....an accurate .308 semi auto rifle at around $200 is a STEAL. A lot of folks are gonna be wishing they'd bought one someday. I've done the gas valve modification and a chamber polish job and fixed the minor inconveniences of the failure to extract that seems to be the ONLY problem anyone has had with this rifle. Too bad the mini fix ain't so simple.

I bought my last Mas with the Mil type scope that originally came with it. Damn scope and mount cost more than the gun, but was well worth it in my mind.

To me, the Mini's and Sks's are GREAT little carbines for throwing down sustained fire at modern battlefield ranges of 300 yards or less. The Mas is a 600+ yard weapon that is EXTREMELY accurate. Hell, the French Mas ops manual says that 400 yards is the range with iron sights, and 800 with the scope, and this is with the weaker 7.5, not the flatter shooting .308 that it's been rechambered to.

True, the .308 isn't a rifle you'd want to spray an area with due to a variety of factors, such as recoil, but I'd venture a STRONG guess that as a counter sniper type rifle , anti-equipment weapon, or limited armor/cover penetrator it would be excellent.

I see the Mas as the poor man's M-14/ Semi-Auto sniper/ anti-APC rifle. No arsenal, er....collection
is complete without one.
I wonder if I could get a "match barrel" for one of these things??? The action itself seems indestructable and seems to me a perfect platform for someone wanting to build a either serious long range shooter (ala M-14) or an adequate assault rifle, albeit, sans pistol grip.

Any idea if stripper clips are available or might work on these things? I set up an LBE for two of them and used the factory leather pouches for one and 2 East German SKS pouches (with the cloth enter divider seams partially removed)to hold 8 mas mags for my other rig. Works as well, but not as "purty" as the tan French leather. But, hey...I'm a cheap sucker and every $50 I save on accessories for one rifle is $50 towards the purchase of yet another rifle.

I'm gonna call a few night sight companies soon and see if they can't refurbish the factory "night sight" tube that comes with the MAS rifle with some new glowing inserts.

I've also considerd talking to my machinist genius buddy about the feasibility of making some sort of removable mag well adapter that would allow the use of 20 round FAL mags.

In reading the Mas ops manual there was a mention of both 10 and 18 round Magazines to be used for the rifle. Have you seen any 18 round mags for sale? If I can't get a high cap option I'll resort to stripper clips if I can find them.

I know, I sound like a paranoid schizophrenic who's stocking up for the end of the world, but dammit, I'll be a well ARMED paranoid schizophrenic when it all goes to heck. I'm building a house out in the middle of nowhere down in South Texas and can't wait to get there for good so I can complete the work on my Bunker...er, "tornado" shelter/root cellar...
Thank GOD I've got a beautiful wife who feels as I do about most things. Heck when I met her, she had a larger pistol collection than mine. Good lookin' and loves guns? I couldn't let her get away.

Love the MAS!!! I wish my minis were 1/4 as accurate.

As a matter of fact, I'm heading to the range in the afternoon to test out a chamber polish job I did. Afterwards, I'm breaking down the stock and sending it off to Nouglyguns.com for a new brown/beige tiger stripe camo job on the wood furniture. I did the last paint job on my stock and it looks great, but a professional job is always nicer. I think the camo goes well with the Parkerizing job on the metal. I've even parked some of the mags I've got.

I assume you've got a Mas as well. Any favorite milsurp .308 to recommend? I like the Cavim and have been stocking up. Which state are you in? I'm doin' my best to break out of Dallas as soon as I can, and if I hit the lottery anytime soon me and the family are leaving here and headin' to Idaho, Wyoming, or somewhere where no large urban cesspools affect the rural populace with laws designed to control the inner city rats.

#7 ·
Well Dave, are you saying you did the Brownells contour job already? Did you like it? I've considered doing the job myself, just like you but have no idea where to buy the needed tools. I've considered ARS and perhaps I'll use them one day (no really, you go first, I insist) but want to wait 'til I get results from someone else. Besides, my needs aren't match grade, but merely mil grade, or acceptable groups with milsurp ammo. I can assure you, the world will come to a watery end before I ever go out and buy a whole bunch of expensive match grade bullets. I love the idea of thousands upon thousands of Mil surp rounds gently sleeping in a milsurp ammo can in my gun safe.....Now that is a warm and peaceful feeling

As far as the politics of Ruger and providing a quality barrel, i'll have to say that in my opinion politics has nothing to do with it at all. Sure, Ruger has acquiesced
to the opposition's political pressure in the past and are not ones to rock a boat. That being said, let's remember that this rifle has been inaccurate for a far longer time than the recent anti-gun trend could have played a role in a decision to correct the problem.

The fact is that Ruger just doesn't value either it's customer base, it's manufaturing name, or have an iota of desire for perfection in a rifle. I could give other examples besides the Mini to back this up and won't mention their *cough* semi auto pistol line, some of which could just as well be made by Bryco or Jennings as far as quality goes.

Ruger could EASILY offer an accurate version of the Mini. Hell, if they just threw away the barrel that now comes with it and replaced it with a barrel that cost $30 more to make, what liberal group would even know to complain? In fact, what liberal group even knows anything about any rifles function or accuracy? They concenrate of cosmetic issues, not mechanical ones.

The current trend towards trying to ban .50 cal long range sniper rifles is a perfect example. The anti lobby isn't at all focused on whether or not a particular manufacturer makes an accurate gun, they just want to ban the entire class. In fact, think back to EVERY legislative attempt at gun control, not ONE focused on accuracy, but centered on cosmetics instead.

Heck, companies like Bushmaster, Olympic arms and others have since focused their marketing efforts on pure accuracy since the 'evil bayo lugs and flash supressors' are no longer allowed. The anti-gun crowd has FORCED weapons to become even MORE deadly by removing them from a mil type class and pushing them into sniper type roles, albeit rapid fire sniper type rifles.

I will swear to any who'll listen that the reson the mini remains unfixed is because Ruger is a very crappy company top to bottom.
They have a good design, but are too lazy or inept to perfect it. I'll tell you this, no other major manufacturer is nearly as bad.
Can you imagine Savage allowing the mini out of it's doors with the name Savage stamped on it? Not in a million years! Remington either, and a host of FIRST Class companies fall into this scenario. Unfortunately, Bill Ruger and his machinist company (they sure aren't an arms company) have no pride in their products, and leave it up to other after market firms to gouge Ruger customers in fixing a relatively easy and inexpensive issue on the Mini that should have never left the factory.

Hell, I ought to bring a class action lawsuit against Ruger for deceptive and dishonest trade practices.

Do you know what type of steel is used on an M-16 barrel? I'd like to approach a barrel manufacturer about providing a slip in replacement along the lines of the M-16 in quality. Heck, those aren't H-bars and seemed to work just fine when I lit the range up with them a few years ago. Do you have any opinions about the Brownells barrel, or know someone that does? I wouldn't be averse to using one, BUT will have to either get it threaded at the muzzle and thus affect accuracy, or find a flash supressor that fits the large diameter barrel.

You don't have the e-mail addy to Ruger, do you? I'm tired of burning up stamps on letters they don't read and would LOVE to mount an internet campaign against their Barricaded doors.

I wonder if the frustration I feel towards Ruger is the same frustration that caused so many folks to develop accuracy services for their Rifles in the first place? I guess I'll start feeling out the various barrel manufacturers and seeing what they have to offer.

Dave, I've read your posts concerning accurizing the Mini, what's your recommendation ? do you think I could get a standard AR-15 barrel to fit a mini?

#8 ·
Dave, your right on the politics. Ruger probably tries to keep a low profile. With all the 223 rifles available out there. New armalite 18 comming out plus all the AR-15 they probably want to keep the price as low as possible on the mini 14. Red, my only complaint with mas49 56 is lack of spare parts. Where are all the parts?? IMO the FAL from century L1A1 sporter, wholesale guns and ammo inc. has them for $428.00.
DSA has used 20 rounders, $5.00 apiece. Plus
all the parts available for this rifle CHEAP. There was a gunsmith in PA. that did FAL mag conversions for the MAS. But by the time you put the money in it you'll be able to buy a FAL. Thanks,FLAK 2

#10 ·
Thanks Red i havent seen any spare parts. Ive got 2 rechambered in 308 nice lite 308 rifles. I get my yearly bonus check this week might pick up 2 more if F.A. has any left. If not ill grt another century FAL. Shucks $428.00 to ffl will run me $460.00 not to bad.Ive gotta lotta spares for these.

#11 ·
Red and Flak... MANIACS!! You guys have beautiful minds! I'm in lockstep with you on Ruger's 'quality control'. They are selling a product which, after 30 years, ought to be a heckuva lot beefier than it is at present. I don't know that a class action is warranted but he#@ yes! beat down the doors and sing the refrain, 'it's the accuracy stupid'. Tear down the wall!
Sorry (these guys got me fired up.) I am one of those looking at ARS. I do not, however, have the money. It would be a Herculean labor for me to scratch up enough to get Tim to do me a rifle. I do have match grade accuracy in mind. I think it would be wild to drag a mini to the line at a high power shoot and (try to) kick AR tail with it. That is where my machinist/gunsmith/mechanical genius friend comes in (a rather handy pet to have). I love the mini design. I'd like to own two or three (probably will). I know it can do much better. This summer we begin the quest for an accurate mini. We have the barrel en route, the plans laid out (nearly), and the gas block drawn (yes, new block. Has anyone any thoughts on adjustable gas systems?) I will let you know how it goes, as it goes, when it goes. If it goes. Procrastination is a b@$#h. So's being a full time student again. Still, I will post any success or failure, even the painful ones, as they occur or at least after we figure out what went wrong. If the thing shoots I will publish my own page detailing how it was done.

#12 ·
I,m sure every one will like to know your progress reloader. Havin a machinest friend is a big plus! I work for a big Co. we have 4 machinest on my shift, nice guys but not into guns. Its hard to explain to them what your tryin to do. Their very good on bike and car parts. A decent barrel alone should bring groups down to 1.5 moa. with the right hand loads and the right guy doin the shootin.

#14 ·
Red, I have the shilen on a mini 30 now and am in the process of checking it out. Still waiting on ARS for the 2nd one, which is a full length HBAR and new gas block. So if the shilen functions well and is accurate, I am considering trying it myself on a mini 14.
Now as far as add ons, I believe you can have the barrel threaded provided you don't have a pistol grip etc. Check this out for yourself though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.