Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the case of Barnaul 123 grain FMJ with the Bi-Metal case. I'm not sure if it is a one time run or Barnaul will keep making them.
Bi-metal, according to Wikpedia, is an alloy called Tombac, bonded in a heat process with steel.
Tombac is 84 to 90% copper and 10 to 16% zinc.
Used in the manufacture of projectiles at Barnaul Machine-Tool plant Zavod, Russia.
Other plants in Russia use it for bullets too.
I have seen 7.62 x 54R ammo with bi-metal cases, but used in 7.62 x 39, not so common.

I planned to shoot some of this ammo, along with 4 or 5 others, out of my 16.25" barreled Mini "Sasha", over the chronograph and shoot for accuracy at 100 yards.
I grabbed my Chrony and the tripod, but since I hadn't used the chronograph in a couple years, forgot to grab the cord that connects the main unit and the remote read out screen. So no velocities to report.

The Good:
1) It's made by Barnaul, so it ignited easily out of a Mini.
2) The case, being copper and zinc bonded with the steel, should be easier on our extractors and chambers than plain steel.
3) Accuracy wise, they were, at least out of this one Mini, pretty good. As good as Silver Bear, which has always surprised me with it's consistency and grouping.

The Bad:
Velocities seemed low. If only I'd brought the cord for the Chrony !
This Bi-metal case stuff and Geco, failed to lock back my bolt when the mag was empty, and ejected half as far (about7 feet) as the PPU, Silver Bear and Golden Tiger did ( about 15 feet).
I'll try to add to this thread in a couple weeks and re-do the 5 brands with the Chrony.

Groups, 5 shots at 100 yards, using the Fastfire dot centered inside the red bullseye of the target, were:
PPU 2"
Silver Bear and Barnaul Bi-metal (tied) 2 1/4"
Geco 2 5/8"
Golden Tiger 2 7/8"

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
good report dog, I've had good results with PPU out of my factory barrel 189 series (reloadable brass case but $$) and surprised by the quality of the silver bear (bit dirty though) also my Makarov groups the SB hollow point as good as the brass case Fiocchi and PPU which also is more expensive than the SB.
nice 30 you have there BTW.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,582 Posts
Interesting looking round. Barnaul and Vympel are my two favorite Russian plants. Too bad about the low velocities. Does "Sasha" wear a .100 gas bushing or something less?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, a .100" bushing. She had a .065" bushing for years, then 2 years ago I cut her down to 16.25" and took her to the range. Would barely cycle or eject with several of the brands I had with me, GECO wouldn't even work the action or eject.
I realized I had forgot to change the bushing back to a .100" after cutting the barrel. Works fine now and ejects 15 feet with everything but weaker ammo like GECO and the new Bi-Metal.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,582 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought I remembered. In my experience GECO has been inconsistent over years and different lots. At one time I thought of it as being on the hot side for the species, but lately not so much.

I'll have to try that new Barnaul sometime. My Mini-30 barrel is right at 18" after cutting to recrown sometime back. Barnaul Silver Bear runs well for me. I wish I would have bought more of it before this present price and availability insanity.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silver Bear HP and my SST handloads are what is loaded in stripper clips for "end of days".
I wish I had bought more Silver Bear as well, haven't seen any for sale in close to a year.

·
Registered
959 Posts
From the SG ammo site;
"This was a one-time run from Barnaul using a bi-metal case. An interesting 762x39 ammo option that you do not see everyday"

looks like the old Norinco, copper washed, steel core, ammo from the 80's.
thanks for the report

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Sandog, what's your SST load if you don't mind sharing?

Just pulled a bear tag and I'm between the Wolf 154gr SP or rolling my own.

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
a bit 'off topic' but when I bought my 30 also bought around 500 rounds of PMC - back in around 97 or so. it was too weak to reliably cycle and doesn't group well. OTOH the case is one of the best - volume consistent and several loadings before neck splits compared to Winny brass which splits after 2-3 loads ($$ too)
I got fair results with wolf military classic too, bit dirty though but not corrosive.

·
Registered
606 Posts
a bit 'off topic' but when I bought my 30 also bought around 500 rounds of PMC - back in around 97 or so. it was too weak to reliably cycle and doesn't group well. OTOH the case is one of the best - volume consistent and several loadings before neck splits compared to Winny brass which splits after 2-3 loads ($$ too)
I got fair results with wolf military classic too, bit dirty though but not corrosive.
Same here, I have shot PMC before and then just today as well.
Under powered and not accurate.
But as you say the brass is great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts