Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
what do gun smiths or just someone that is trying to fix his own hand gun or rifle, he may need to cycle the weapon?.

The noise would be to high in the cities, so is their a tube or something to put the rifle or hand gun into so the noise will not go far?

I think blanks could be used, this would cycle the weapon but not shoot the projectile.

Another example: if someone buys a secondhand large magazine & wants to see if the mag will feed the rifle without any problems, how can you do this without going to the rifle range that's 2 hours drive.

comments welcomed:ar15:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Do you mean like, loading up a mag, with the barrel pointed in a safe direction, and SAFETY ON, pulling back on the operating rod, and letting go about 20 times till the mag is empty? I do it all the time. No noise, except: a metalic "ptchck, ptchck, ptchck---."
Also I have fired many blanks they make just as much noise as the real thing, and DOOOOOO fire a projectile for about 60 ft (a plastic plug). Be careful with blanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi cajungeo

And is this with live ammunition?

Thanks for this, yes I could do the same but what if something went wrong, like the safety I forgot to put on, this means I have An official home for the next 2 years or so, this official home is paid by the government. maybe another term you could call it ( prison )

I do guess that it's very safe, but feel very strange with live ammunition in the barrel, within the city.

·
Registered
716 Posts
gunrunner12,

I don't know about the laws in your country, but where I'm from, if you accidentally fire a weapon (without hurting or killing an innocent), you'd probably spend a day or two in jail tops... And of course you'd have to pay for any property you damaged.

Accidents do happen. Just be sure the gun is pointed in a SAFE direction, with the safety ON and you needn't worry. Keep yer finger out of the trigger guard too! :confused:

Also, if an accident does happen, and you only fire once, it is nearly impossible for them to figure out which direction the report came from. Unless of course something worse happens...

The alternative (and a much safer one at that) is to buy some "snap-caps" which are just plastic models of .223 rounds with a spring loaded primer. You can cycle and even pull the trigger all you want.
I'm not so sure that a blank will cycle the action, as there may not be enough pressure to drive the gas system. But cajungeo is right, there IS a projectile in some blanks. People have been killed by 'blanks' from being shot in the head at close range.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
gunrunner, If you feel funny doing it with live ammo, then listen to your own self, and don't. Go with the snap caps!

·
Registered
685 Posts
major co.s use compressed air systems to do this, no need for any one else to have one though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Gunrunner,
The Army has a "laser tag" system for realistic training. They actually use real M16's and AK47's in these games. Yes, they are firing blanks and it looks pretty darn real.

A TV show that I forgot the name of (it just started this week) is showing the training, and everything looks about right except the "soldiers" have long hair and the barrel plugs are blued so you can't even see them. The Army uses a big RED plug on the end of the barrel when they're shooting blanks. The bluing of the plugs will probably make some folks think that you can shoot blanks at people without hurting anybody. The TV people really should not hide that red plug for everybody's safety.

Blanks in 5.56 are about as cheap as regular surplus FMJ, 'cause the Army uses a lot of both.

How does it work? They put a special red plug on the end of the barrel, that blocks the plastic seal but lets just the right amount of gas expel. There's enough pressure to cycle the rifle. The plug is painted red, so everybody can see the plug - both sides and the judges. So if some bozo forgot he's supposed to be shooting blanks, there's less chance of anybody else getting hurt.

Anyway, the sound activates a laser mounted on the end of the barrel that's already been sighted in. The system is pretty darn realistic, you have to load your weapon, you only get as many shots as you can carry, you have to reload the darn thing, you get a little recoil, you get flying brass, you get the NOISE, and you make a smoke signature that the ENEMY can sight in on.

Unless you're going to simulate combat, blanks are just a curiosity. And they can kill at close range. So, my advise is use snap caps at home for practicing in the dark (Make double darn sure that anything in you pockets or magazines is snap caps).

Hope this helps,
KC

:ar15:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gunrunner,
I have a business card from a fella that makes an indoor shooting trap. It's meant for test firing firearms (mainly handguns) by gunsmiths. It's basically a large pipe 8" round, 3/8" side walls filled with sand or water. It welded to a floor stand at a 45 degree angle and is about 3-4ft tall. It has a rubber cap hose clamped to the opening w/ an X cut into it so as to help contain debri and noise. The fllor stand had caster weels to make moving it around easier. It was still somewhat loud and would need to be located in a small room or closet with acoustic foam on the walls to be considered urban-neighbor friendly.

It was a good idea, and he sells a fair number of them to law enforcement, smiths, and the like. They were priced @ ~$200. Naturally I figured I could make myself one just as easy if I truely felt I needed it. Right now I simply don't have the room for a firing closet.

Talk to ya later,
Mike in Oregon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts