Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things seem to be a little slow around here these days so I'll try and get something going. I'd like to hear about your M1A, or Garand. What make and configurations do you own?

I have two M1A's, both Springfield "loaded" models. One made in 1997, and another a more recent model built this year. The newer rifle has the NM stainless barrel, while the older one is the NM carbon steel. The older rifle has about 3,000 rounds through it, and is getting close to being ready for a new tube. I think I'll probably send it off to Fulton Armory for a new GI barrel, and a general check-up after the holidays. I'm hoping the GI chrome lined barrel might last a little longer than the NM barrels, which I hear are a bit soft.

I've also got a Harington Richardson Garand, which has been worked over by Fulton Armory, NM sights, Fulton barrel, NM front end mod. Looks like it just left the factory in 1952. I love em all, the only problem is I can't pick a favorite. Tell us about your rifle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a very nice service Garand that I bought at a gun show. It is from the DCM and was never issued, made in 1946. The only thing I have added is a new military leather sling. I did not especially care for the web slings issued to us during the Korean war. I was more used to the leather slings we had in ROTC.
Reason I obtained this rifle is that I am able to work it in darkness as well as daylight, and it just "feels natural."
I have some other rifles, but the Garand was the one I trained with. I don't feel comfortable with my AR or Mini 14. I'm "back home again" with the Garand.
About those web slings. I watched a soldier drop his rifle in the mud because the upper clip slipped (probably he didn't have it snapped down tightly.) After that incident, I always carried my rifle inverted on the left shoulder to prevent that kind of accident should the clip come loose, and because I could whip the rifle off my shoulder and into the hasty sling position with minimum of movement.

·
No Longer Involved
2,492 Posts
I currently own only one Garand... and no M14/M1A. My Garand is a CMP Service Grade for '99, with pix available at my site. That's Fajen wood (I got the Less Wood option). Its a Feb '45 SA, original barrel iwth TE of less than 3.5, most of the parts are correct for the date. I like it!

I am acquiring M14 mags right now (only a few more weeks in CA to do so) and will get an M1A or M14S(chicom) next year... if the latter I'll go with all USGI parts except for the receiver.

I also have a Mini-14, parkerized with short barrel... see the site above... and other toys....

The Win '94 on that site is 104 years old, serial number in the low 30k range... but my dad blew it about 25+ years ago and had it refinished... in nickel! Yuck! I still fire this rifle...

Favorite? Right now it is between the cold mechanics of the Colt Sporter and the warm fuzzy I get from my Garand.

------------------
[email protected]
http://perfectunion.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
SA M1 Garand. Got it through CMP about a year ago. It's a 1943 with a a 1956 barrell. Have not fired it yet but the bore is bright and it looks good so it'll probably be a decent shooter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got a M1A with std GI barrel. Have had it about 10 yrs. Bought it slightly used. Still in great shape. Wish I'd bought a truckload of mags back then for $12 ea. Oh well. Just scoped it last month. Got the Springfield mount, not bad, seems sturdy enough. One minor glitch- when you replace the charger guide, you can't remove the bolt when cleaning. May be Springfield has a redesign by now, will check with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a mini-14 Ranch rifle with a Mason M1A style flash hider, and a choate polymer E2 style pistol grip stock.
True to its name, mine really dose look like a tiny M-14!

[This message has been edited by JUNG1999 (edited 05-17-2000).]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a M-14 and a Mini-14. There isn't much of a story behind either of them (except that both were private party, and the Mini is a 183-prefix and therefore presumably pre-ban, and I don't know about the M-14 except it is a Polytech clone and it has a flash supressor). I also had an M-1 carbine once upon a time, but traded it out of my collection long ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 1 post ban springfield M1A,2 Garands
1 30.06 and 1 308 [tanker]. also I just purchased a Ohio Ordanance semi auto B.A.R.in
30.06 plus about 15 other rifles mostly military type firearms enfields,ar's,sks,ak47
Polish m44,mas bolt and semi.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Mini 14 in blue and wood, a Ranch rifle in Stainless and polymer, a pristine Russian SKS, a Chinese sporter SKS with removable ak mags, one French Mas 49/56 .308 caliber that is parkerized with a camo paint job on the stock, various hunting rifles and shotguns.

My fav is the Mas. I love the accuracy and price and am ordering another one this week.
It's like getting a standard M1a for about $200 with a far better reliability. The Mas operating system is bullet proof, and this is my SHTF rifle. Seems like a new shipment of these fine Carbines just came in country so you'd better act now before they're all snapped up.

If nothing else the investment potential alone should be cause to buy a Mas. I mean what else on earth shoots .308 ACCURATELY, has few moving parts to break down, is a proven former main battle rifle of a major European power, and still costs less than an SKS?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The DCM sent me a nice Garand. Springfield, six digit S/N. I also have one I'm building into a shooter, Fulton barrel, new stock, NM sights. And a "beater" Garand I use for grenade lauching etc. I just picked up a swede 96 6.5x55 for the local military shoot, bolts only.

·
Registered
689 Posts
ARs minis,mas 49 56 FAL,s hand guns browning HP,s 1911,s. Red Im withya on the MAS,s but what did the frenchies do with all their spare parts ????? SHUCKS I know they had to have a few spares.

·
Registered
88 Posts
why not tell us about the REALISTIC combat matches that you've won with it, beating out AR's at what MATTERS, eh? :) AR 223's win nearly everything when it's against time, on movers, in poor light, etc, you know, like REALITY. There's a reason for that. The AR is easy to use REALLY well, really swiftly, and at common distances, the .22 conversion unit lets you practice for 10% of the cost of 308 ammo, even on indoor ranges, without tearing up the steel targets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Mr. Personality. I shoot combat match. I beat AR’s and H&K’s all the time. I use my Steyr to do it.

I know this thread was about Garands and M1A’s, it took a turn somewhere back there. I like my O3-A3 also.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I am thinking of getting back into M1's....I had a nice Win. a few years ago. Did some trading and got it out of the safe. You should have seen the looks I got humpin that thing in the deer woods. Kind of bummed I never got a shot at a deer with it. Anyway, I saw a nice Springfield the other day. The wood did not match, but I can buy new wood. Now if I only had $. There is something nice about the ping sound the clip makes after the 8th round.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I own an M1a with an Arms18 scope mount and Spingfield 6x40. I just love it. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

I bring the brash and flash

blzn69

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all, new to this forum. Picked up a Springfield M1A a couple years ago when they offered the scope and mount for $125 deal. It's a Standard with parkerized finish, synthetic stock, NM sights, 6 X 40 range finding reticule with bubble level. Rifle loves 165 gr. Federal soft points, groups 1" at 100 yds. Took it deer hunting last year, but didn't have anything to shoot at. Gun's a lot heavier than my other deer gun; a Browning BAR Mark II Safari in .30-06 with a Redfield 2-7 TV plex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts