Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received the Tech-Sights Mini200R for my 187 series Ranch the other day. Out of the box I found it to be a solid unit, and had no issues mounting it to the rifle. Fiddling with it prior to installation revealed the windage knob to be very stiff to turn (actually painful to the fingers). I figured this had something to do with the sight being 'dry' out of the package, so I sprayed it down with oil. No easy fix there. The windage knob remained stiff regardless. Instead of killing my fingers, I simply turned the screwdriver slot side to adjust windage. However this negates the whole purpose of the sight itself...to have the dial actuated adjustment. Perhaps it will loosen up a bit from use. However, I spun the hell out of it, full distance in both directions many times, and there was no loosening effect. The elevation adjustment dial is easy to turn using a (preferably) non-marring pointed object (cartridge tip used here). You also have to be careful not to use too much force, as you can easily 'over-spin' it a few clicks. The sight post rises and lowers in a smooth fashion. Once I had the sight mounted on the rifle, I noticed that the windage dial became even stiffer. More fiddling revealed this to be possibly attributed to the elevation post's movement. It appeared that when the elevation post was adjusted to lower positions (almost bottomed out), the windage knob became pretty much ‘locked up’. I found it near to impossible to turn it by hand, for when the unit is mounted on the rifle, one has even less grasping area on the knob. Again, the screwdriver came into play for adjusting. Positive points here are that the sight looks great on the rifle, and the sight picture is fantastic. It’s built solid, doesn’t look ‘cheap’, and fit the rifle snugly like a glove. The blued finish is uniform, but a bit weak in durability. In conclusion, I ended up removing the sight from the rifle, and have contacted Tech-Sights concerning the windage dial issue. If the sight's not going to be enjoyable to use, I have no desire to leave it on. I'd rather deal with Ruger's flimsy factory 'flip' unit. I don’t know if the sight I received is a ‘fluke’ from the factory, or if the discrepancy mentioned above is inherent to its design. Since it’s a relatively new offering from Tech-Sights, maybe all the ‘bugs’ haven’t been worked out of it yet. I welcome input from those of you who have purchased this sight to verify my thoughts and observations, and I'll certainly let you all know of Tech-Sights response. Thanks for reading! Best!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tech Sights

I installed these on my 581-xxx S.S. wood last mont. love them on paper right ( 25 yd. battle sighting) out of the box. A bit stiff but not to your degree. There are sveral threads on this subject on pages 2-4. I've got pics on one of them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered one and I can't get the factory sight off the rifle. I feel like I'm gonna break the tool that came with it or I'm gonna strip the hex bolt. Any suggestions on getting the sight off?

·
Registered
665 Posts
One trick I use when dealing with a very tight screw or bolt; use the wrench to apply force to the screw head (turning it in the correct direction, of course), and give the surrounding area a sturdy rap with a plastic head mallet. Sometimes the shock from the strike will give the stuck screw a jar and then break loose.

Since the flat head socket style screw is very small, I'd also use a brand new allen wrench.

·
Registered
223 Posts
badpig96R,

Ruger used a thread locker on the OEM screw. I used PB Blaster penetrating oil to dissolve it before trying to remove it. Applied it to the hole in the underside of the receiver below the sight and let it soak overnight (made a cradle out of an old cardboard box with slots cut out to hold the barreled action in upside down with the muzzle end a little higher than the receiver end). Gave the head of the screw a couple of light taps with a punch. Held the allen wrench by the shaft directly above the screw head with a cresent wrench and got the machine screw broke loose, twisted the end of the allen wrench that went into the head of the screw kinda like a wrought iron railing but did not damage the factory screw head to bad. Hope this helps.

Smiling Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sight Removal

I had no problem in removing factory sight, it was loose! Anyway Loctite hates heat a heat gun or carefule propane torch application will work. Use oven mits.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I heard back from Tech-Sights and they were very understanding. They indicated that the sight does have a specific amount of stiffness in its operation, and that it loosens up through use. They figured that mine may be overly stiff. They were kind, and professional enough, to immediately send out a replacement sight on an honor system that I return my old one when received. An excellent company to deal with! Best!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts