Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Has anyone installed the new Tech-Sight for the Mini?
Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories
Yes - on a 187 Ranch. I like it - not really finger adjustable for me but a screw driver and a FMJ round will do for windage and elevation.

Works okay with the factory front sight and would be great with a Choate or Mo-Reaper muzzle device and front sight. Gives a nice, clear sight picture - as clear as my old, far-sighted eyes can get out of irons at this late date.

YMMV

·
Registered
118 Posts
Could you post some pictures of it, please?
I'd really like to have a closer look than what I get from TechSights website. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have one on a 581 series. I think there is a thread with pics of it somewhere... Nearly identical to the old sight, plus adjustment knobs. Biggest plus for me was the available wider aperture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes - on a 187 Ranch. I like it - not really finger adjustable for me but a screw driver and a FMJ round will do for windage and elevation.

Works okay with the factory front sight and would be great with a Choate or Mo-Reaper muzzle device and front sight. Gives a nice, clear sight picture - as clear as my old, far-sighted eyes can get out of irons at this late date.

YMMV
I see yours has a gap between the sight and the receiver at the back end also. I was wondering if I was installing mine wrong, but I could not see any way to make it sit flush. If anything, the gap on mine is even a little larger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Love mine

Initial installation on paper at 50yds. out of the box. Centered it with my Mk 5 eyeball . Looks great on my SS /Wood .556

·
Registered
457 Posts
Like to hear anyone's experience with the Tech Sights and different apertures. With the standard Ruger fixed sights which shipped on my 16" 580 series, the aperture seem to pretty large (micrometer says .086), although the two side protectors on each side of the front blade just fit in the ghost ring circle. I noticed that Tech Sights has smaller apertures as accessories namely, .062 and .042. So has anyone tried the smaller apertures? How'd you like them compared to the .086? I believe .086 is stock, but I bought this particular Mini-14 used, so I don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Like to hear anyone's experience with the Tech Sights and different apertures. With the standard Ruger fixed sights which shipped on my 16" 580 series, the aperture seem to pretty large (micrometer says .086), although the two side protectors on each side of the front blade just fit in the ghost ring circle. I noticed that Tech Sights has smaller apertures as accessories namely, .062 and .042. So has anyone tried the smaller apertures? How'd you like them compared to the .086? I believe .086 is stock, but I bought this particular Mini-14 used, so I don't know that for sure.
The standard aperture - not the one that can take the different sized inserts - is .062 according to the Tech Sights website.

I find it very usable but would prefer it to be a little larger. Outside - in daylight - it gives a good, sharp sight picture.

YMMV

·
Registered
128 Posts
The standard aperture - not the one that can take the different sized inserts - is .062 according to the Tech Sights website.

I find it very usable but would prefer it to be a little larger. Outside - in daylight - it gives a good, sharp sight picture.

YMMV
A drill followed by some cold blue will make it what you desire. Going up in size is not difficult.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Try out the adjustable aperture system, I use the wide one and love it. It makes getting on target really easy and I can put 30 fast ones on a pie plate with no misses at 100 yards. I've never tried it going for precision, but I think it would do fine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
So after measuring the aperture of the rear sight that supposedly shipped with my Mini when it left the factory, I found it is the same aperture as the large Tech Sight insert. I thought about getting a set of the Tech sights, but I decided once I had the irons sighted in, I was unlikely to move them again. So for me a hour spent fiddling around at the range getting the Ruger irons sighted in solved my fixed sight issues. Although they just aren't a very user friendly design to adjust, they seem to shoot jsut fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts