Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
You need to be careful doing it, but you can purchase a stainless sling swivel stud, remove the factory stainless ring from your Mini's gas block, then drill the recess through, and tap it for the stainless stud. Any sling swivel will then attach just like on the point at the rear of the ATM stock.
Ruger stainless is pretty hard, go slow and easy so as not to break the tap, patience is a virtue.

Bryan 45
The rail is a nice concept, my question would be how does it mount?

David

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the pics, it appears it replaces the top of the gas block and attaches with 4 new screws at the front. And I see two screws at the rear each side of the rail which likely attach to a saddle or something around the barrel. I think this is similar to some of the other rails.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,114 Posts
Having the "Footprints" for some specific optics might allow their lower mounting, but I wonder if the screws securing such optics are on the underside of the rail, thus preventing easy/quick removal in the event of failure, or for any other reason. Most users of RDS/Reflex optics on Minis with "Scout Rails" tend to mount the RDS/Reflex optic much further forward on the rail, this foeward mounting ploint providing better situational awareness vice a rearwards mounting point.

Also, mounting such optics as seen in the pix provided would seem to preclude the possible addition of a "swing-away" magnifier optic to the rear of the RDS/Reflex optic.

Possibly the best thing would be an Ultimak with full Pic-rail cuts as far to the rear as possible, and the sides of the forward part of the rail drilled and tapped to suit various MLok accessory rails. Unfortunately, these changes would no doubt raise the price a bit, but as against that, the machined-in scallops could be deleted.

IIRC, the Amega Ranges scout rail has some drilled and tapped holes on the sides of the rail, but I don't know if they're suitable to the now-ubiquitous MLok pattern of screw-attached devices/short Pic-rails, although Amega Ranges offers some accessory devices designed for their OEM screw holes. The Amega Ranges Scout Rail is considerably higher than the Ultimak, and since getting all Scout-type optics as low as possible is absolutely essential, the Ultimak is generally the preferred rail.

I would caution against obscuring the OEM venting holes in the sides of the Ultimak, as they can be useful in reducing barrel heat. IIRC, some syn stock users have drilled venting holes down the middle of the fore-end of their syn stocks, in order to provide incoming cooling air undeath the OEM heat shield, and which cooling air naturally circulates by convection. User's hand is protected from hot gasses by the OEM inner metal heat shield.

The mounting holes for MLok devices/rails can be added by the user to the Ultimak rails, if desired.
Center-to-Center screw hole dimension for various MLok rails:

MAG406 max overall length of 2.5', Mounting screw center-to-center of 1.2'.
MAG407 max overall length of 3.3', Mounting screw center-to-center of 1.6'.
MAG408 max overall length of 4.1', Mounting screw center-to-center of 2.4'.
MAG409 max overall length of 4.9', Mounting screw center-to-center of 3.2'.

This new rail will require some hands-on use to see how it compares with existing Mini scout rails. Let's hope for the best!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
There are millions of Mini's "out there". It's nice to see some companies making some fun things for what I think is an untapped market. Throw in the States that limit AR ownership, the Mini is only going to get more popular. As seen with the rising price of the rifle, there appears to be some increased demand. We can only hope that Ruger is doing their part to continue to make a quality rifle that people want to own.
kwg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bushnell TRS-25 with tech sights on an Ultimak rail will lower 3rd cowitness. Any other rail is too high over bore axis from the get go and the TRS-25's integral base makes it the only optic low enough to the rail.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I posted this over at AR15.com but I know there's more mini14 traffic over here. And I figured you guys would like the info too.

This is my rifle. I got the rail direct from Samson about a week ago. Hoping to get out to zero this weekend.

First impressions are good. Mounts with the four gas blocks screws and a small barrel band that is concealed under the rail. No, it's not a free float, but nothing on the Mini is anyway since the stock attaches at the gas block too. I suppose it would stiffen the barrel up some, but that's not a big problem with the new Minis anyway. According to Samson, this version only works on the Minis made since '08 or so with the heavy barrel. They have said they intend to release a rail for the older Minis too, but no date is given. It comes with the sling QD mount, and a short piece of pic rail that I attached on front left side, to mount the Surefire light.

Footprint for Vortex MRDS, which also fit some others like Burris Fastfire. The footprint allows a lower mounting than using a pic mount. And pic rail up front for mounting any other optic. I may try an Eotech on here too, just for fun. It is not low enough to co-witness the irons though.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Are people actually using "Searchlights" on their Mini's that flashlight is a bit much for me.? I have no use for this as it is just too much. I bet it will be $200 when it finally hits. why didn't they just do a simple rail with the Sling attach points machined in. Having all that crap on your gun makes it handle like a Garand!

The Ultimak Rail is more basic and more the way I think it should be. I don't have one of those either? I have a simple Warne mount like the one that now comes with new Mini's.

What I want to see is Magpul Magazines for Minis !!! If everyone said they wanted them on the Magpul Website they would probably make them. Like someone said above there is millions of Minis out there and nobody making Poly Mags since Tapco got absorbed.

Poly Mags with Metal Feed Lips would be the best thing ever.

Randy

Reactions: RIBob and PFerris
1 - 20 of 45 Posts