Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on Facebook a couple days ago. SHOT show is just a little over a month out. Wonder if we'll see it before then.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't need a rail for my mini. I just want a side sling gas block compatible with the tapered barrel. Samson, Please!!!!!!
Exactly what's taking so long??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another teaser pic from Samson on Facebook. From their post it sounds like this will be available soon, but no info on pricng yet.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Automotive tire

·
Registered
34 Posts
You need to be careful doing it, but you can purchase a stainless sling swivel stud, remove the factory stainless ring from your Mini's gas block, then drill the recess through, and tap it for the stainless stud. Any sling swivel will then attach just like on the point at the rear of the ATM stock.
Ruger stainless is pretty hard, go slow and easy so as not to break the tap, patience is a virtue.

Bryan 45
The rail is a nice concept, my question would be how does it mount?

David

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the pics, it appears it replaces the top of the gas block and attaches with 4 new screws at the front. And I see two screws at the rear each side of the rail which likely attach to a saddle or something around the barrel. I think this is similar to some of the other rails.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Nice. Kind of the same set up I've had for 8 years. If you want something, better to just make it happen than wait for someone else to do it.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,318 Posts
Having the "Footprints" for some specific optics might allow their lower mounting, but I wonder if the screws securing such optics are on the underside of the rail, thus preventing easy/quick removal in the event of failure, or for any other reason. Most users of RDS/Reflex optics on Minis with "Scout Rails" tend to mount the RDS/Reflex optic much further forward on the rail, this foeward mounting ploint providing better situational awareness vice a rearwards mounting point.

Also, mounting such optics as seen in the pix provided would seem to preclude the possible addition of a "swing-away" magnifier optic to the rear of the RDS/Reflex optic.

Possibly the best thing would be an Ultimak with full Pic-rail cuts as far to the rear as possible, and the sides of the forward part of the rail drilled and tapped to suit various MLok accessory rails. Unfortunately, these changes would no doubt raise the price a bit, but as against that, the machined-in scallops could be deleted.

IIRC, the Amega Ranges scout rail has some drilled and tapped holes on the sides of the rail, but I don't know if they're suitable to the now-ubiquitous MLok pattern of screw-attached devices/short Pic-rails, although Amega Ranges offers some accessory devices designed for their OEM screw holes. The Amega Ranges Scout Rail is considerably higher than the Ultimak, and since getting all Scout-type optics as low as possible is absolutely essential, the Ultimak is generally the preferred rail.

I would caution against obscuring the OEM venting holes in the sides of the Ultimak, as they can be useful in reducing barrel heat. IIRC, some syn stock users have drilled venting holes down the middle of the fore-end of their syn stocks, in order to provide incoming cooling air undeath the OEM heat shield, and which cooling air naturally circulates by convection. User's hand is protected from hot gasses by the OEM inner metal heat shield.

The mounting holes for MLok devices/rails can be added by the user to the Ultimak rails, if desired.
Center-to-Center screw hole dimension for various MLok rails:

MAG406 max overall length of 2.5', Mounting screw center-to-center of 1.2'.
MAG407 max overall length of 3.3', Mounting screw center-to-center of 1.6'.
MAG408 max overall length of 4.1', Mounting screw center-to-center of 2.4'.
MAG409 max overall length of 4.9', Mounting screw center-to-center of 3.2'.

This new rail will require some hands-on use to see how it compares with existing Mini scout rails. Let's hope for the best!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
There are millions of Mini's "out there". It's nice to see some companies making some fun things for what I think is an untapped market. Throw in the States that limit AR ownership, the Mini is only going to get more popular. As seen with the rising price of the rifle, there appears to be some increased demand. We can only hope that Ruger is doing their part to continue to make a quality rifle that people want to own.
kwg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts