Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious; why do you think the Ruger Target Mini is designated to only take .223?

Do you think it could be due to the added barrel length? Technically the bullet remains inside the firearm longer. Could those pressures be the reason that Ruger waved off the 5.56 for the Target Mini?

I am sure there are much more knowledgeable and experience minds who can comment on this.

Thanks in Advance

· Registered
10,504 Posts
It has been suggested that they are made from another company and shipped to Ruger. To keep the price down they made 223 only.

· Registered
2,273 Posts
The target Mini has a standard .223 chamber that conforms to SAMMI(Small Arms Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute) specs, All other Mini's have chambers that conform to NATO specs or Rugers own propitiatory specs. NATO chambers have a longer leade before the bullet engages the rifling.

· Registered
61 Posts
I hadn't heard that parts of the Target model might have been subcontracted. Interesting.

However, this article discusses the differences between the 223 chamber and the 5.56 chamber as far as structure and purposes.

I found it pretty interesting. Its possible the move to the 223 has to do with increasing the accuracy of the rifle. Since Ruger was going for an accuracy increase, it would be a logical move.

· Registered
127 Posts
I've shot plenty of 5.56 in mine, it just needs to be brass. Steel in either .223 or 5.56 tends to stick.
Edit to reinforce what COBrien says below, I'm not recommending this by any means. My Target has been cut and crowned so I'm SOL if I need to send it back to Ruger anyway. I will say I ran 500 rounds of 5.56 thru it and the brass showed no signs of overpressure whatsoever, but I'm not advocating anyone else try it. I would be interested in comparing chamber casts with a regular Mini though.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
I'd always heard Ruger used a tighter chamber on the Target barrels (sort of goes along with the subcontracting rumor...) to wring as much accuracy out of that particular setup as possible.

Any recommendation that you run 5.56x45 through your Target Mini should be ignored. In the event of a catastrophic failure and/or injury/death, Ruger WILL NOT stand behind you if it can be shown that you ever fired 5.56x45 in that rifle. It's not worth the significant risk, IMO.

· Registered
127 Posts
I actually only chanced it after a buddy borrowed mine and brought me back a sack of brass. He didn't realize it was .223 only and I forgot to tell him, but the brass was perfect (well, as perfect as Mini brass ever is anyway). So I thought what the hell and ran half a case or so thru it.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
I never new about the possibility that the Ruger Target was not manufactured by Ruger.
If anything, I think it's just the barrel that's been farmed out.

I actually only chanced it after a buddy borrowed mine and brought me back a sack of brass. He didn't realize it was .223 only and I forgot to tell him, but the brass was perfect (well, as perfect as Mini brass ever is anyway). So I thought what the hell and ran half a case or so thru it.
Wasn't meaning to pick on you, boss. :lol:

Just pointing out that Ruger recommends against it, so someone knowingly running 5.56 through a Target model could find himself in a hell of a pickle if something were to happen. ;)

· Registered
127 Posts
If anything, I think it's just the barrel that's been farmed out.

Wasn't meaning to pick on you, boss. :lol:

Just pointing out that Ruger recommends against it, so someone knowingly running 5.56 through a Target model could find himself in a hell of a pickle if something were to happen. ;)
Yeah, I was out of luck from Ruger already once I modded the heck out it. If I ever break a firing pin I'm screwed.

· Registered
496 Posts
The barrel throat (freebore in front of the chamber) is shorter on the .223. In theory this should increase potential accuracy due to the bullet meeting the rifling at lower velocity.

If you want to shoot a lot of 5.56x45 out of your target model you should consider having the chamber finish reamed to 5.56 dimensions or some hybrid in between. Otherwise the peak pressure is going to be higher than it is supposed to be - will it break anything if you ignore this - maybe; eventually, maybe not....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.